Swim bladder?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this blotched anthias for approx 2.5 months. He has been very active, eats like a big and very healthy, was fully QT'd. About 3 days ago I noticed him swimming a bit strange and thought maybe it could be aggression because his fins/tail were also damaged and he was hiding. All though I never witnessed any.

Now it has progressed to this (video below).

It's been 3 days since he last ate but is otherwise trying to swim and seems active and alert.

I've kept the lights out and I put him through 30 minute MB bath, and Epsom salt dip. RRR for 90 minute.

Should I just continue this each day and see if it helps or should I try a different road?

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this blotched anthias for approx 2.5 months. He has been very active, eats like a big and very healthy, was fully QT'd. About 3 days ago I noticed him swimming a bit strange and thought maybe it could be aggression because his fins/tail were also damaged and he was hiding. All though I never witnessed any.

It's been 3 days since he last ate but is otherwise trying to swim and seems active and alert.

I've kept the lights out and I put him through 30 minute MB bath, and Epsom salt dip. RRR for 90 minute.

Should I just continue this each day and see if it helps or should I try a different road?

Thank you!

Epsom salt is a freshwater remedy and rendered useless in marine as they are already in salt. The fish may have become lodged either within rock or escaped from powerhead. Looking at video, sadly this fish is moribund and will likely not make it due to its irregular swim pattern and inability to eat.
So sad to see this always and I wish there was something to recommend to fix this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

This species is really prone to floatation issues. Usually though, that happens when they are first acquired. The positive buoyancy can come from either an over inflated swim bladder, or gas caught in the gut. Both issues are REALLY difficult to treat. As mentioned Epsom salts is a FW tonic and seawater is already high in magnesium sulfate, so it won't help. The MB and RRR are both external baths, so are not really targeted for an internal issue.

That said, I don't have a good treatment plan for this issue, especially once the fish has stopped feeding....sorry!

Jay

Buoyancy Issues
Fish with gas bladders may develop buoyancy issues if the gas in the bladder is not being properly adjusted for the fish’s ambient water pressure. Additionally, gas may build up in the digestive system of a fish, also causing positive buoyancy. Symptoms of these issues include a fish that floats at the surface, struggling to maintain a proper position in the water, or once exhausted, may float at the surface upside-down. Negative buoyancy may also rarely be seen, where the fish sinks to the bottom and then may struggle to rise in the water column. Causes for these maladaptation issues can include bacterial infections of the swim bladder, genetic propensity for developing these issues, or the collection of the fish in deep water, and subsequent improper decompression.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal what if he starts eating? Are there any suggestions?

I would suggest oral metronidazole at 0.5% by weight in food (for anaerobic bacteria), as well as an oral gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.

Oral meds can be tricky though. Here is an article I wrote up on that:

Jay

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
396801C4-B3EE-4B61-819F-83C7330ACF40.jpeg

Attachments

• 62AA95C0-2B47-4BAC-A53E-500DD954EEC0.jpeg
    62AA95C0-2B47-4BAC-A53E-500DD954EEC0.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 46D9AF8A-958F-4E14-A910-37D162362924.jpeg
    46D9AF8A-958F-4E14-A910-37D162362924.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 609CB7EC-DB44-4708-AF26-A1E62B823912.jpeg
    609CB7EC-DB44-4708-AF26-A1E62B823912.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 15
  • 82D555DF-C44F-4F4B-81C4-71DAC23E9782.jpeg
    82D555DF-C44F-4F4B-81C4-71DAC23E9782.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it this a swim bladder problem?

Can you post a short video? A YouTube link works pretty well.

This fish's belly looks a bit swollen, so it could be gas in the gut. This species is prone to buoyancy problems.
How long have you had it?
Is it eating?
What other fish are in with it?
Have you treated it with anything yet?

Jay

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This fish's belly looks a bit swollen, so it could be gas in the gut. This species is prone to buoyancy problems.
Is it eating?

Jay

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it eating?

Jay
Hello, thank you for your response, I posted two link so you can check

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it since yesterday, eating well, today he’s moving around the tank as you can see on the first video.
However, yesterday(video2) he was only swimming when I put food next to him.
He is mostly swimming downward

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it since yesterday, eating well, today he’s moving around the tank as you can see on the first video.
However, yesterday(video2) he was only swimming when I put food next to him.
He is mostly swimming downward
That is pretty common in this species after they have been shipped. There is no treatment, just supportive care; best water quality possible, dim lights and preventative treatments for common disease issues.
Jay

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty common in this species after they have been shipped. There is no treatment, just supportive care; best water quality possible, dim lights and preventative treatments for common disease issues.
Jay
oh okay thank you!! so it’s not a swim bladder issue?
I thought that I had to do the needle procedure on him.

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use api general cure on him? Is it the best medication to prevent and threat any other diseases ?
Since I’m in Canada I don’t have acess to a lot of medication.
Only have api general cure, metroplex, kanaplex, focus, prazipro and copper power.
Got a stock from the US

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems active tho, you can see on this video

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh okay thank you!! so it’s not a swim bladder issue?
I thought that I had to do the needle procedure on him.
It could be swim bladder or it could be gas in the stomach/intestines. Needling is often done but rarely permanently works. There is also a good chance of causing secondary bacterial infection. I’ve needled hundreds of fish and never had it work long term. I even made a pressure chamber that would correct the issue, but when I released the pressure the bloating would return.
Jay

kkarda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be swim bladder or it could be gas in the stomach/intestines. Needling is often done but rarely permanently works. There is also a good chance of causing secondary bacterial infection. I’ve needled hundreds of fish and never had it work long term. I even made a pressure chamber that would correct the issue, but when I released the pressure the bloating would return.
Jay
Oh okay, so I will just monitor him and wait to see if the situation change.
Thank you again!!!

abch0as

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kkarda. How is your Borbonius doing? I received 2x Borbonius a little over 3 weeks ago. One swims perfectly normal and the other swims exactly the same as the video. Both are eating. Mine is not getting worse but also not getting better. Have you learned anything from your experience that might help me?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back