Swimming with the flow? playing or velvet?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a hippo tang in my DT this morning after a 6 week fallow period following a velvet outbreak. The tang has been through a round of Hybrid TTM using H2O2 baths to kill any velvet he may have had on him after arriving from divers den. I'm pretty sure he's stressed out being in the DT, the only other fish is a blenny that's just hanging out on the rocks at the other end of the tank.

Since the tang stopped hiding a few hours ago, he's spent a lot of time swimming with the flow from one of the powerheads. Not actually into it, but with it, he has his tail pointing to the powerhead. Is this just him riding the waves or is the same as swimming into the powerhead and he has velvet somehow? He did eat quite a bit when I fed him an hour ago, and has no visible symptoms. Here's a quick video so you can see what I mean.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be much more worried if the fish was swimming INTO the current. Velvet comes on fast , but not that fast, and the fish is still eating. Does the tank have a protein skimmer on it? I just want to ensure there is something to drive off CO2 because I didn’t see much surface agitation.
Jay

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be much more worried if the fish was swimming INTO the current. Velvet comes on fast , but not that fast, and the fish is still eating. Does the tank have a protein skimmer on it? I just want to ensure there is something to drive off CO2 because I didn’t see much surface agitation.
Jay
She has stopped doing it, and is being normal swimming around the tank now. Once she found her BFF, a starry blenny she met in QT, she calmed down :D so I'm just chalking up to being stressed out. Thank you!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed my tiny hippo tang does the same thing...kind of rides the flow. It’s done this for the whole 6 weeks I’ve had it so I’m really hoping it’s just a hippo tang quirk. Glad to see you are adding fish back to your big beautiful tank!! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back