Swings in nitrates/phosphates

mary.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Sorry it's going to be a long read but I'm really struggling with swings in nitrates/phosphates. Sometimes phosphates increase but not Nitrates and sometimes it's the contrary. Could you please help me find out what I'm doing wrong ?

Parameters today :
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate 0.25 - Hanna reader (ouch)
Alkalinity 7.4 - Hanna reader (should I add sodium bicarbonate?)
Ammonia 0 (salifert test)
Nitrate 5-10 (API test)

Tank maturity and bioload: 75 liters = 20 gallons.

Auto top off water is RO from LFS.

3/12/2022 - 3 weeks ago : Starting the tank - I've moved the water and rocks from a tank shutdown from another hobbyist (she had it running for more than a year). It came with 5 big trochus snails.
60% old tank water + 40% water change (saltwater from LFS).
LFS test - a couple of hours just after moving the tank : Phosphate : 0.2ppm , Nitrate 28 ppm - Ammonia/Nitrite 0

10/12/2022 - 2 weeks ago : LFS test - Phosphate 0.3ppm, Nitrate 21 ppm, Ammonia 0.1 ppm Nitrite : 0.1 ppm. LFS told me it was ok to add the fish so I purchased them but I should have known better.
-> 25% water change then I added the fish and corals with my own mixed water (RO water from LFS + Read sea salt) .
I added 2 small clowns, a full bottle of copepods and 7-8 ml of phytoplankton that I continued dosing every other day since then. Also added 5 corals at the same time: torch, hammer, clove polyp, toadstool, alveopora.
I do not feed them.

11/12/2022 : LFS test - I was worried about the ammonia so I went to check it again: Phosphate : 0.2ppm ; Nitrate : 15 ppm, Ammonia 0.1, Nitrite 0 - I added some ammo lock on the same day after reading how ammonia - even 0.1 - is bad for a fish.
I messed up and added way to much ammo lock. (10 times the recommended dose).

12/12/2022 : LFS test but different LFS - just one day after, no water changes - I went to do another test because I was still worried about the ammonia. Reading : 0 ammonia/nitrite. Phosphate 0.2ppm, Nitrates : 1 ppm (weird, right ? )
I added the sand that day (dry sand really well rinsed) to help with the microbacteria.

Thursday 15/12 : self test - 20-40 nitrates, Ammonia 0, Phosphate 0.15.
-> I did a 40% water change (Saltwater from LFS)

Friday 16/12: I gave away 4 of my trochus snails as I had no algae and didn't want them to starve. Now I'm starting to see glass algae haha. As a thank you, I've been given a full bottle of rotifiers which I fully added to the tank.

Saturday 17/12 : additionnal 15% water change (Saltwater from LFS)

Yesterday 18/12 : added one dragons breath hoping it'll help with my phosphate/nitrates.

Today test 19/12 : Phosphate 0.25 - Hanna reader (ouch); Nitrate 5-10; Ammonia 0

Filtration :
It a Waterbox cube 20 AIO (75L) with just filter sock + carbon media and some plastic bio balls and two porous balls on top of the rocks. I've also bought a nano skimmer but I don't run it a lot as it's quite noisy and does not seem to do much.

Feeding habit :
I feed Vitalis pellets to the clowfish every other day - I think at least 6-7 small pellet each until they don't eat anymore, maybe 2 to 4 small pellets may not be eaten and fall on the sand bed.
I feed some brine shrimp every other day to the clownfish - they eat at least 5-6 each (drained, I do not put the water in the tank). A couple of the shrimps end up not being eaten in the water column (maybe 5-6?) but they get removed by the filter sock later.
I dose 7ml of phyto every other day.

My phosphate keeps on increasing - faster than nitrates this time - I've already done a 15 % water change yesterday and a 40% water change 3 days ago because my nitrates were reading 20-40.
It seems I can't stabilise the parameters.. Sometimes phosphate is not to bad (0.15) but nitrates are high (20-40) like 4 days ago, sometimes phosphate is not ok (0.26 today) but nitrates are (5-10) like today.
I'm then a bit confused. Could you please help me out ?

Also, does it look like diatoms to you please? It appeared today
Finally, I've added some pictures of the coral. I've been told they look not fully open. Do you think so?
It feels like it's not getting better

Thank you so much for your help!

Pictures :

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m reading your messages correctly, then your rock is cycled really well and you shouldn’t have any issues.
Try testing before feeding, like first thing in the morning, after getting some coffee first
Your feeding looks fine too; I feed my fish/ tank inhabitants about 2-5 times per day. I wouldn’t do that many water changes in a short period of time, maybe just 10% per week since it’s a small tank. Keep your temperature constant, even with top off water and water changes. Wait about 24-hours after mixing your new salt water so all the ions are balanced out.
Hopefully this helps

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Sorry it's going to be a long read but I'm really struggling with swings in nitrates/phosphates. Sometimes phosphates increase but not Nitrates and sometimes it's the contrary. Could you please help me find out what I'm doing wrong ?

Parameters today :
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate 0.25 - Hanna reader (ouch)
Alkalinity 7.4 - Hanna reader (should I add sodium bicarbonate?)
Ammonia 0 (salifert test)
Nitrate 5-10 (API test)

Tank maturity and bioload: 75 liters = 20 gallons.

Auto top off water is RO from LFS.

3/12/2022 - 3 weeks ago : Starting the tank - I've moved the water and rocks from a tank shutdown from another hobbyist (she had it running for more than a year). It came with 5 big trochus snails.
60% old tank water + 40% water change (saltwater from LFS).
LFS test - a couple of hours just after moving the tank : Phosphate : 0.2ppm , Nitrate 28 ppm - Ammonia/Nitrite 0

10/12/2022 - 2 weeks ago : LFS test - Phosphate 0.3ppm, Nitrate 21 ppm, Ammonia 0.1 ppm Nitrite : 0.1 ppm. LFS told me it was ok to add the fish so I purchased them but I should have known better.
-> 25% water change then I added the fish and corals with my own mixed water (RO water from LFS + Read sea salt) .
I added 2 small clowns, a full bottle of copepods and 7-8 ml of phytoplankton that I continued dosing every other day since then. Also added 5 corals at the same time: torch, hammer, clove polyp, toadstool, alveopora.
I do not feed them.

11/12/2022 : LFS test - I was worried about the ammonia so I went to check it again: Phosphate : 0.2ppm ; Nitrate : 15 ppm, Ammonia 0.1, Nitrite 0 - I added some ammo lock on the same day after reading how ammonia - even 0.1 - is bad for a fish.
I messed up and added way to much ammo lock. (10 times the recommended dose).

12/12/2022 : LFS test but different LFS - just one day after, no water changes - I went to do another test because I was still worried about the ammonia. Reading : 0 ammonia/nitrite. Phosphate 0.2ppm, Nitrates : 1 ppm (weird, right ? )
I added the sand that day (dry sand really well rinsed) to help with the microbacteria.

Thursday 15/12 : self test - 20-40 nitrates, Ammonia 0, Phosphate 0.15.
-> I did a 40% water change (Saltwater from LFS)

Friday 16/12: I gave away 4 of my trochus snails as I had no algae and didn't want them to starve. Now I'm starting to see glass algae haha. As a thank you, I've been given a full bottle of rotifiers which I fully added to the tank.

Saturday 17/12 : additionnal 15% water change (Saltwater from LFS)

Yesterday 18/12 : added one dragons breath hoping it'll help with my phosphate/nitrates.

Today test 19/12 : Phosphate 0.25 - Hanna reader (ouch); Nitrate 5-10; Ammonia 0

Filtration :
It a Waterbox cube 20 AIO (75L) with just filter sock + carbon media and some plastic bio balls and two porous balls on top of the rocks. I've also bought a nano skimmer but I don't run it a lot as it's quite noisy and does not seem to do much.

Feeding habit :
I feed Vitalis pellets to the clowfish every other day - I think at least 6-7 small pellet each until they don't eat anymore, maybe 2 to 4 small pellets may not be eaten and fall on the sand bed.
I feed some brine shrimp every other day to the clownfish - they eat at least 5-6 each (drained, I do not put the water in the tank). A couple of the shrimps end up not being eaten in the water column (maybe 5-6?) but they get removed by the filter sock later.
I dose 7ml of phyto every other day.

My phosphate keeps on increasing - faster than nitrates this time - I've already done a 15 % water change yesterday and a 40% water change 3 days ago because my nitrates were reading 20-40.
It seems I can't stabilise the parameters.. Sometimes phosphate is not to bad (0.15) but nitrates are high (20-40) like 4 days ago, sometimes phosphate is not ok (0.26 today) but nitrates are (5-10) like today.
I'm then a bit confused. Could you please help me out ?

Also, does it look like diatoms to you please? It appeared today
Finally, I've added some pictures of the coral. I've been told they look not fully open. Do you think so?
It feels like it's not getting better

Thank you so much for your help!

Pictures :
Any dry foods(ie: pellets, flake) equal phosphate. Phosphate then binds to the rocks and sand. Water change won't take it out. Water change will take out nitrates.
Any frozen food is higher in nitrates.
So, can you feed more frozen foods and cut out completly pellets for the time being?
Get the Macro algae established and hold 10~20 nitrates and see if that helps to reduce phosphates.
I agree about 10% in water changes. Keep a log. Look for a trend in nitrates. Maybe 10% is to much or not enough in water changes. You can adjust if you see a trend. If nitrates going up, more water change, going down, do less.

My thought here is feed nitrates, let the Marco take out Phosphates and nitrates(need both to do so). The extra nitrates you control with water changes. Make sense?

One more thing, test the LFS TDS in there ro. Or, have them show you it's zero TDS.
Just because they say so doesn't mean it is so.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back