Switch salts from Bio Actif to Pro

• Thread starter User1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Hi - I think I may already know the answer but wanted to ask never the less. I'm currently using TM Bio Actif salt and considering making the switch to the Pro version (my alk is 8.1 - 8.4, cal 440'ish, and mg 1320). My question is rather silly. Can I just swap out once my existing bucket is used up? Or do I do the switch over time mixing the two together until it is gone? Or does it matter (which is what I'm thinking)?

I love the Bio Active mix but I'm seeing a lot of cyno return and while I believe it is completly unrelated I did notice my Nitrates zero out. Measured using the Nyos kit a few times so even with my error or hobby grade level kit error I'm consistently at 0. So while I'm adding Nitrates back in via dosing it seems to not make a lot of sense to use a more expensive salt thus me switching to the pro version.

I have to say though that since I've been using Bio Actif blend my corals exploded with growth and color. It mixes very well. Skimmer likes it. Good polyp extension. Just seeing the cyno and I think it is due to my nitrates bottoming out. May be the salt side effect. May be AFR. I'm not sure but since I love both AFR and the salt I'd like to try the pro mix. I'm guessing it doesn't matter how to switch but wanted to check anyway.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no problem switching , I use the pro and it's a great salt. The pro will mix at a lower alk 7.0 -7.5 so I always boost it a little with soda ash to bring it up to my tanks alk which is 8.4 -8.5. The bio actif is a good salt but it has a carbon dosing effect on the tank , and since the carbon dosing part is in the salt mix , it is hard to control and can bottom out your nutrients. Also when I used it years ago I got cyano as well and I think that is a common issue with the bio actif salt. What I would do is mix up a batch of the pro, test it and buffer it to match your tank's parameters and you should be good.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Pro to Actif and noticed the corals were looking much better as well. I have been dosing TM Plus NP at the max dose and still get 0's across the board on N/P, I am trying to get some nutrients up but cutting back skimming and turning down the refug.

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
Hi @plexx, @bcarl77 - appreciate the information. Going to go ahead and order a pro bucket today :)

Also thanks for the lower alk information and how bio actif works. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay attention to that or the possible side effect before I started to use it (wrong tool for the job in my case). I'm in the 8.1 - 8.4 alk range so will need to bump it a little as well. Looking forward to the salt because I also read it stores longer.

Thanks again!

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Pro to Actif and noticed the corals were looking much better as well. I have been dosing TM Plus NP at the max dose and still get 0's across the board on N/P, I am trying to get some nutrients up but cutting back skimming and turning down the refug.
Be careful with running 0 N&P . Bad thins can happen to a reef tank when the nutrients bottom out, also coral growth can stop as well. I sure you know that reef tanks are a balancing act. You got to find a happy medium .

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with running 0 N&P . Bad thins can happen to a reef tank when the nutrients bottom out, also coral growth can stop as well. I sure you know that reef tanks are a balancing act. You got to find a happy medium .
Agreed, that's why I am dosing the max Plus NP until nutrients are measurable. In the meantime, I may start alternating between Pro and Bio Actif.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back