Switch/Upgrade my tank

rosey80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new in owning a saltwater reef tank. I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront acrylic tank and I would like to
either switch or upgrade. Personally speaking, the bowfront just isn't working out for me, I'm not a fan of the top
part of the tank and cleaning it is a pain as well! I started my tank back in early April and it's currently going through the
ugly stage. I have the green algae that flakes off and the redish brown kind of hairy algae, which I believe is cyanobacteria?
Therefore, I'm not sure if I should switch it or do a slight upgrade since I'm still learning this hobby. Plus, I don't think
that I would want to upgrade higher than 50 gallons at the most right now.
Therefore, I'm seeking advice on if it would be wise to switch or upgrade my tank and if so, which tank would you recommend for a beginner?
I do prefer an acrylic tank being that it's lighter in weight, but would strongly value your opinion.
Also, if I switch/upgrade, what's the best way of tackling that job?

By the way, in my tank, I currently have the following:

2 clownfish
1 orange spotted goby
1 royal gramma fish
4 hermit crabs
2 bee snails
1 nassarius snail

(No corals yet since I was told to wait another 6 months before adding any.)

(Everything has been thriving so far!)

Thank you so much! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new in owning a saltwater reef tank. I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront acrylic tank and I would like to
either switch or upgrade. Personally speaking, the bowfront just isn't working out for me, I'm not a fan of the top
part of the tank and cleaning it is a pain as well! I started my tank back in early April and it's currently going through the
ugly stage. I have the green algae that flakes off and the redish brown kind of hairy algae, which I believe is cyanobacteria?
Therefore, I'm not sure if I should switch it or do a slight upgrade since I'm still learning this hobby. Plus, I don't think
that I would want to upgrade higher than 50 gallons at the most right now.
Therefore, I'm seeking advice on if it would be wise to switch or upgrade my tank and if so, which tank would you recommend for a beginner?
I do prefer an acrylic tank being that it's lighter in weight, but would strongly value your opinion.
Also, if I switch/upgrade, what's the best way of tackling that job?

By the way, in my tank, I currently have the following:

2 clownfish
1 orange spotted goby
1 royal gramma fish
4 hermit crabs
2 bee snails
1 nassarius snail

(No corals yet since I was told to wait another 6 months before adding any.)

(Everything has been thriving so far!)

Thank you so much! :)
So, I would wait till you learn more about this hobby however, if you were to upgrade I’d recommend a Red Sea tank, the 50g is big enough for some “big” fish such as the Fairies/Flasher wrasse so if you want some of those fish then I would recommend taking the plunge and going for a 50g, another thing that’s risky is balancing the different nitrate, nitrite, and ammonium levels in a small tank such as a 30g

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited about 6 weeks after cycling to add easy corals. 6 months is a lot of time to wait !
If they’re talking about SPS then the minimum is 6 months it took 20 months before my 4x2x2 actually grew SPS properly

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I mentioned « easy » corals. I wouldn’t try SPS in a new setup.
True, and yeah easy corals can be added in within the first month (after the cycle obviously)

Upvote 0

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and #WelcometoR2R

I agree bow fronts are a pain to clean. The first quest would be what size/area do you have to work with and what is your budget and goals. Then we can maybe give some better ideas

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back