Switched salts and corals are closed now

jcook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Story here is fluval 6 gallon edge been running great for 3 months shown by before pic. I am usually not overly careful with water changes as far as temp and I just hand mix up a gallon at a time check salinity and slowly add it to hang on filter in the back. I recently bought some test kits and noticed my calcium was low which everyone says is common with instant ocean so I got some reef crystals. Did one water change and everything was fine. A week later did some tank maintenance, basic glass cleaning moved a few rocks slightly and another 1 gal change and now every coral except the xenia is really unhappy for going on a week now. At first I checked the water and all parameters seemed fine. The only thing that I changed was the salt. I feel I have fell victim to parameter chasing and swung the numbers to much with the reef crystals and only being a 6 gallon. Setup is fluval nano light, aquaclear hang on filter with sponge chemipure blue pack and bio balls, stock is two clowns, 3 hermit crab and a blood shrimp. 2 hammers, some mushrooms, gsp, xenia and a gonipora frag everything was so happy up until now.

Salinity 1.025
Temp 79
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.25
Nitrate 20
Calcium 340
Kh 8

[COLOR=rgb( var(--theme-link) )]20221126_162246.jpghttps://content.invisioncic.com/Mna...2246.jpg.f967a2b48d0157d94f80dea3fb0b8c57.jpg[/COLOR]

20221205_170045.jpg
20221205_170050.jpg
20221126_162246.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving corals around changes flow and light parameters. Both of these changes are taxing on corals that are not supposed to be living in the strange boxes in our living rooms instead of life in the ocean where light and current motion is more to their needs and liking than what we contrive in the aquarium. The rapid changes in water quality does not help the situation but may not be the primary cause of the difficulties you are describing.

Also, I add my water change into a sump and try to be careful not to stir up the dirt and filth that are collecting there when I am adding new water. Adding water into the filter may also cause disruptions and release of the funk that is present in the hang-on filter in your set-up? Just fishing (ha) for help that may improve your enjoyment of your mini reef!

Killing Eve Help GIF by BBC America

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt has to completely dissolve before adding to the tank. Salt particles burn corals.

OP
OP
J

jcook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I probably got too careless and stirred up a bunch in the filter and added some unmixed salt. Maybe regular instant ocean is more forgiving then the reef crystals

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I probably got too careless and stirred up a bunch in the filter and added some unmixed salt. Maybe regular instant ocean is more forgiving then the reef crystals

Yes I think the issue has a lot more to do with the approach taken to the changes and stuff rather than actually the switching salt.

OP
OP
J

jcook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is will they recover with time or has the damage been done

OP
OP
J

jcook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mystery solved for the tank I lost my blood shrimp and the fish didn't seem happy so I had to look at everything again closer and it appears my heater was slowing dying and the tank was getting colder over the last week explaining the slow downward progression of everything. The water change could have been when it got damaged and the change of salt happened to be a coincidence

Back