Switched to Fritz RPM salt

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first box of Fritz last week and it just arrived. Lets see how it performs....

radicaltour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm riding along with you, GoVols.
So I got my first batch today. I threw 16 cups of salt into a 30-gallon brute trash can filled with RODI water.
That's about 0.53 (a little more than half) cup per gallon.
Here are my test results after 20 minutes of mixing (ie. water was clear).
1.024 SG (refractometer)
Cal = 430 (Red Sea Pro Kit)
Alk = 8.6 dkh (Hanna Checker)
pH = 8.3 (Vertext Probe)
Mag = don't know (Salifert Test Kit. Used the whole syringe and it still didn't turn color )

Seems pretty good to me.
Since I'll be storing the mix for a few weeks, due to daily auto water change, I'll do the test again in 2 weeks to see how much of the big 3 dissipates.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm riding along with you, GoVols.
So I got my first batch today. I threw 16 cups of salt into a 30-gallon brute trash can filled with RODI water.
That's about 0.53 (a little more than half) cup per gallon.
Here are my test results after 20 minutes of mixing (ie. water was clear).
1.024 SG (refractometer)
Cal = 430 (Red Sea Pro Kit)
Alk = 8.6 dkh (Hanna Checker)
pH = 8.3 (Vertext Probe)
Mag = don't know (Salifert Test Kit. Used the whole syringe and it still didn't turn color )

Seems pretty good to me.
Since I'll be storing the mix for a few weeks, due to daily auto water change, I'll do the test again in 2 weeks to see how much of the big 3 dissipates.
radicaltour, Thanks for your feed back.

I had to refill my Salifert syringe to get the 1420 on the mag. lol

Let us know your results after 2 weeks :)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really awesome ! I am so happy to see so many very passionate and dedicated enthusiasts from this forum taking the initiative to try something different. I already shared my experience with the corals response and continued happiness , and look forward to seeing the results you guys are having ! I have got to make a thread soon about the new display/ frag prop system to show you all how were doing on the Fritz ! We are right around the 3 month mark and will never look back.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I have not calibrated my refractometer in awhile.

bought the "Two Little fishes" natural seawater calibration fluid and checked my refractometer with it.

Well when I checked it should have read 35 and it read 40. :eek: So I adjusted the refractometer down to the fluid at 35.

Once the adjustment was made. I thought my main display was reading 1.025 SG and after the calibration it nows reads 1.021 sg. :eek:

So I'm slowly brining up my display to 1.025 sg to match my calibrated refractometer. :)

ALs FLorida Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used red sea coral pro . switched to fritz and my alk dropped to 7.5 . I'm just not comfortable with that number . just my 2 cents

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used red sea coral pro . switched to fritz and my alk dropped to 7.5 . I'm just not comfortable with that number . just my 2 cents
Thanks for your 2 cents. If your like the results RSCP gives you then don't change.

I've used it in the past doing the Red Sea growth program and it did accelerate my growth holding about 12dkh.
Once I was happy with the growth, I switched back to (blue Bucket) with more normal reef parameters for better coral colors. :)

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the FFM (local coral show) yesterday and have been unhappy with my parameters of the current salt I use. I saw the Fritz booth and talked to Ann for about 15 minutes or so and picked up a box to try. I will make my first water change tomorrow and am looking forward to a consistent salt. The other thing that I like is the QC and testing that goes into this salt.

Also she gave me a bottle of your glass cleaner to try and I must say that stuff if awesome. My glass have never looked cleaner!

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying out Fritz RPM bucket for first time. Here is my first batch:

18 gallon RODI
9 level cups of Salt (5 lb 7 oz weighed) Bucket Lot #28166
Mixed clear in 30 minutes. Turned off pump. Tested parameters two days later.
77F Room and Water temperature
Salinity 1.025
Alk 7.7-7.8 (Hanna Checker and Salifert)
Cal 425 (Salifert)
Mag 1350 (Salifert)
Potassium 430 (Salifert, first time using this test)
Strontium 10-16 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)
Iodide .01-.02 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)

Almost perfect parameters for me. I will probably mix to 1.0255 and try again for Alk of 8.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with Fritz RPM getting cloudy after sitting overnight?
It was perfectly clear when freshly mixed, but I didn't plan on doing my water change until the next day.
Went to use it but noticed the water was milky white and everything had this white film over it. I tried circulating to see if it would re-mix and turn clear, but after 5 hours of mixing it stayed cloudy.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with Fritz RPM getting cloudy after sitting overnight?
It was perfectly clear when freshly mixed, but I didn't plan on doing my water change until the next day.
Went to use it but noticed the water was milky white and everything had this white film over it. I tried circulating to see if it would re-mix and turn clear, but after 5 hours of mixing it stayed cloudy.
I have not but I always leave my mixing pumps on until I'm ready to use it the next day.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not but I always leave my mixing pumps on until I'm ready to use it the next day.
Looks like I'm going to have to start leaving the powerhead on 24/7.
I switched from Red Sea blue bucket and I could leave it stagnant for a week and it wouldn't precipitate like the Fritz did. Strange...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm going to have to start leaving the powerhead on 24/7.
I switched from Red Sea blue bucket and I could leave it stagnant for a week and it wouldn't precipitate like the Fritz did. Strange...
After one box of the RPM...
I just never tried to store it long term like I always did with regular IO.

I'd like to hear other's inputs on storing the RPM.

Either way thanks for bringing it up. :)

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, same here, mixed clear in 20 minutes. But overnight with no pump, got cloudy. If it's sitting, it's kind of clear, but white stuff at bottom and floating, so once you start mixing again, cloudy.

I wonder if I mixed longer like 24 hours and then turn off, it will happen? I would hate to have to keep power on 24/7 for stored saltwater.

Never happened to me with 7 years of IO.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Fritz RPM as well (bought a box).

At 35 ppt via Milwaukee electronic salinity checker using RO/DI water with zero TDS:
Ca 440-450 (Elos)
Alk 8.5-9.5 (Elos)
Mg 1500 (Salifert)

My Elos alkalinity doesn't seem to be incredibly precise, and my API alkalinity generally trends higher (1-1.5 points). I have a Salifert alk kit with reference standard on order. I'd take my alk measurements with a grain of salt. :-D

It mixes quickly and cleanly, without residue. I haven't let it sit overnight. I'm pretty happy with it so far; I've been using it for several water changes without problems.

I actually made that decision partially on a thread on here with salt comparisons vs Triton analyses--many thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back