Switched to Fritz RPM salt

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS only has the fritz rpm salt 200 gallon box with only the one large box. Is this old stock. Anyone know when they switched over to the 4 bags?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LFS only has the fritz rpm salt 200 gallon box with only the one large box. Is this old stock. Anyone know when they switched over to the 4 bags?
Not sure if it's old stock or not. Fritz does offer the salt in 4 bag or 1 bag portions with the 4 bag being a bit more expensive due to convenience.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell either or still. They did finally lower the price of the 4 bag box though! It used to be $11 difference, which I thought was crazy. Now it's somewhere around $5 difference I think

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading these reviews Im going to switch from Vibrant to Fritz

I've been happy with Fritz overall for the past almost 2 years now. It's a good salt. I stocked up on liveaquaria salt today because it's available for $33 per 205 gallon box and I'm pretty sure it's the same salt as Fritz. No one will confirm it that I've seen, but they also haven't denied it.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent an hour talking to a Fritz Biochemist last year at an event. A Chemist NOT a Marketing/Sales person...

Fritz pulls every 20th box and does a full QA test for elements and trace elements.

If the batch in the 20th box doesn't meet QA standards, all 20 boxes don't get shipped.

Tell me another salt mfg that does that!!!!

;)
Red Sea does an icp test on every batch of salt they mix. They include the icp results of the batch you got.

I tried fritz and my corals didn't do well on the second box. Two other buddies lost alot of money in corals. They did quick 100% water changes with red Sea and things slowly bounced back. They blame fritz. I didn't believe them until my acros were going down hill for unknown reasons. I switched to instant oceans and this is are bouncing back. Was it the salt? Something else in the water or air in my area? Who knows?

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz RPM for ... 4 years now? Never a problem. Love how it mixes. So nice not be cleaning sludge off stuff all the time.

Reeferfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran R/C for my salt for years, but I had recently noticed that I seem to be getting a film on my circulation pump and the bigger problem is that the last box I received had low magnesium, with 0 tds RODI water at a .026 salinity I tested it at 800. So I thought this was a bad batch so I replaced it what the heck a new box and it tested out at 850. So that being the case I switch to RPM. I am very surprised at how fast and well it dissolves and even more important it test out at .026 9 dkh/1300-mag/400-CA which I can work with. The price is 44.95 for 205 gallon box witch is very close to the price of RC so that's nice.

This is the first box I've tried out, but so far really happy, anybody else using this salt and what are your thoughts?
I switched to fritz last year and I’ve been doing real well with my alk and cal in my 32 reef tank and my 75 mixed tank

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running RPM for 3 years no issues. I talked with the Fritz Rep at MACNA and they said that a pallet of product, 24 boxes goes through minimum 3 lab testing rounds, box 1, box 15 and box 24 to test for consistency.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running RPM for 3 years no issues. I talked with the Fritz Rep at MACNA and they said that a pallet of product, 24 boxes goes through minimum 3 lab testing rounds, box 1, box 15 and box 24 to test for consistency.

I lost faith in Fritz, and did not like how the ones got treated that did get bad batches.

FWIW:
Move on to the D-D HO2cean Pro Plus salt mix and never looked back

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from red sea coral pro to fritz. 6 weeks later and half a box of fritz I have lost 75% of my sps. I get a weird film at the top of my tank water where there is less flow and at the top of my storage bin. Not saying Fritz is bad but tank was amazing with the red sea salt and now its just gross. Switching back to RSCP starting today.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I recently switched from red sea coral pro to fritz. 6 weeks later and half a box of fritz I have lost 75% of my sps. I get a weird film at the top of my tank water where there is less flow and at the top of my storage bin. Not saying Fritz is bad but tank was amazing with the red sea salt and now its just gross. Switching back to RSCP starting today.
You did a few other things that could have easily contributed to your problems.

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a few other things that could have easily contributed to your problems.
Yes I switched the lights. Like I said not saying fritz is a bad salt Just saying when I switched to this salt from rscp my sps started dying. I do believe it was the salt. Time will tell.

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason my buckets have been building brown crud at the bottom with fritz salt. It's a new batch I picked up three weeks ago. Think I'm going to go back to HW Marine Mix if this persists.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone checked the parameters of the salt after mixing
Is it high or low in any area / this might help the company to correct issues
This would help all of you out to see what's causing the issue

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone checked the parameters of the salt after mixing
Is it high or low in any area / this might help the company to correct issues
This would help all of you out to see what's causing the issue
It's Definitely inconsistent with what I read from everyone else. My Alk mixed at 8.7, Cal 430, Mag 1600!

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed up a 45g brute bin 2 days ago and my Alk was about 8.5 if I remember right. This was scooped out of a single bag 200g box. I've only used Fritz for a little while and although it leaves a little residue in my bin, I find it no different than IO or RC.

Reeferfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone I’ve been using fritz rpm salt for 2 years now with no problems. No brown residue no white residue no nothing fast mixing clear mixing with great parameters.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz & have for a couple of years. It's not real consistent. It mixes somewhere between a little over 40 to maybe 50 gallons of water @ 35 ppt. I use a 44 gallon Brute just about completely filled to mix water. I'm not sure how much it holds exactly though. Sometimes I have a little left over from a 50 gal bag, Sometimes I have to open a second one to get the salinity to 35 ppt. I have seen the film and brown residue people have spoken about in the mixing barrel. At 35 ppt, I get pretty stable alk calcium, and magnesium. Robust SPS like Monti's, Digi's, and Birdsnests, and even some Acro's seem to like it. However, I have had issues with more sensitive Acro's. I can't say that's because of the salt though.

Seems like the more they cost, the less the Arco's like my tank! I am contemplating changing in an attempt to try to get more sensitive Acro's to survive and grow.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back