Switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt-- so why the low Alk and Calcium??

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this used to be my salt of choice back around 10-13' then I got out of the hobby. has this issue been resolved? I use a calc reactor so long as the alk is stable at 6-7 I can dial it in to what I need..

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this used to be my salt of choice back around 10-13' then I got out of the hobby. has this issue been resolved? I use a calc reactor so long as the alk is stable at 6-7 I can dial it in to what I need..
You will not see these same issues with Tropic Marin today. This is an older post from 5 years ago and was an issue that has been long resolved. BTW, the alkalinity of the Tropic Marin Pro-Reef version is between 7-8 dH. This should be what you are probably looking for. If you have any other questions regarding Tropic Marin, I am always available to chat. You can reach me in our office, during business hours on the East Coast, at 413-367-0101.

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TMPR since around 2015, never had a problem with Kh values, always mixes well and fast. As advised about, I always mix the dry salt around too before scooping out to put into RODI. I will continue to use TMPR as my "go to" salt.

Mark_4880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my second 200 gallon bucket of Tropic Marin pro, neither bucket has mixed up anywhere close to what they claim.

On average:
Alk 6.3-6.7
Cal 410-430
Mag 1230-1280

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought 2 buckets for a new display. Can I use red sea foundation ABC+ to boost while mixing if i need to ? I would like to use it up. (4 kilos)
I understand levels may not be ideal cal/mag, alk is what im targeting.
I guess im asking if their might be a conflict in the method of delivery/process of the supplements

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tripple check the salinity. It seems like all those values, except maybe the Ca, are 2 or 3% low. Maybe the sg is a little lower than desired?

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tripple check the salinity. It seems like all those values, except maybe the Ca, are 2 or 3% low. Maybe the sg is a little lower than desired?

I just mixed up my first 60 gallon drum of TMPro and got the following numbers:
Alk: 6.88
Ca: 250
Mg: 1320

I'm set up to do continuous water changes 3% daily so this is going to take some adjustment

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
It’s most likely a bad batch. Call their customer service department. I’m sure they will take care of you.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed up my first 60 gallon drum of TMPro and got the following numbers:
Alk: 6.88
Ca: 250
Mg: 1320

I'm set up to do continuous water changes 3% daily so this is going to take some adjustment
I would be happy to work directly with you to diagnose what you are seeing. I don't know of ANY batch of Tropic Marin salt, that would have a Ca level in the 200's. Both the alkalinity and Mg levels seem to measure a little low, but you might consider those numbers to be within the margin of error of reagent test kits. But the Ca number does not make sense to me. Please email me at [email protected], and let me go through this directly with you.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be happy to work directly with you to diagnose what you are seeing. I don't know of ANY batch of Tropic Marin salt, that would have a Ca level in the 200's. Both the alkalinity and Mg levels seem to measure a little low, but you might consider those numbers to be within the margin of error of reagent test kits. But the Ca number does not make sense to me. Please email me at [email protected], and let me go through this directly with you.
I've been using TMP exclusively since this year and I love it. I won't ever go back to any other brand; I have 8 extra buckets sitting in my garage. I only test for alk and it's usually between 7.0-7.5 for me, which is perfect anyway.

I wanted to ask you since BRS did a "does it stratify?" test on salt, it seems like TMP is the most consistent from top to bottom. Do YOU recommend that we mix the salt or roll the bucket or anything or do you feel TMP salt is pretty consistent from top to bottom and layering isn't a problem?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i switched 6 months ago and am very happy with Tropic pro. Yes the alk is low (when doing water changes around 7) but i dose to match my tank alk. All works out.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TMP exclusively since this year and I love it. I won't ever go back to any other brand; I have 8 extra buckets sitting in my garage. I only test for alk and it's usually between 7.0-7.5 for me, which is perfect anyway.

I wanted to ask you since BRS did a "does it stratify?" test on salt, it seems like TMP is the most consistent from top to bottom. Do YOU recommend that we mix the salt or roll the bucket or anything or do you feel TMP salt is pretty consistent from top to bottom and layering isn't a problem?
Salt separation in the bucket is not usually a problem. I'm not saying that it NEVER happens. But it is very rare.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used three buckets but the alkalinity has been 7.5-7.7 dKh thus far (about where I like to run the tank). Ca has been 390ppm and Mg at 1365. Outside of cost, I have zero complaints with the salt.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Thank you to Lou at Tropic Marin for working directly with me to sort out my confusion. Turns out my Calcium test kit was bad and giving false (low) numbers. So he not only got me on track but also prevented me from making a really dumb adjustment to my water. Awesome tech support.

With new test kits my numbers are exactly where they should be and I am confidently mixing up a new batch of salt. Going to stick with the Tropic Marin Ca/Mg Pro test kit from here on out also.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Thank you to Lou at Tropic Marin for working directly with me to sort out my confusion. Turns out my Calcium test kit was bad and giving false (low) numbers. So he not only got me on track but also prevented me from making a really dumb adjustment to my water. Awesome tech support.

With new test kits my numbers are exactly where they should be and I am confidently mixing up a new batch of salt. Going to stick with the Tropic Marin Ca/Mg Pro test kit from here on out also.

Glad u got it worked out. I am sold on Tropic Marin Pro. Alk comes out consistently at 7 or a smidge higher.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good support is worth its weight in gold.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back