Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also not accurate. With the latest Apex, introduced in 2016, its AOS (Apex Operating System or firmware) can be updated from any device with a web browser - over wifi. Nothing to even download. No wire to attach. I actually just did an update last night from via my iphone while sitting on my sofa watching Fargo.

I did the same thing finishing up the second season of Stranger Things. I got the notification the update was available, hit go and was done. Also updated the COR module as well, from my phone. I was super pleased with the Apex update. Stranger Things 2? I liked Season 1 better. Not like a Matrix 1 v Matrix 2 better, but still better.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, in the past you have shown how things are done on both the Profilux and the Apex. You did not do that here. Given how involved it seems to be on the GHL, could you show how this is done on the Apex?

This can be accomplished a few ways, but I will first show how I did it originally on the Apex. :)

Create a Virtual Outlet for Maintenance:

Log into your Apex Locally (When I first did these you could not do in fusion, not sure if this is still the case)

Click on Profiles Icon in the upper left hand corner
profiles_pressed.png

When clicking on this you will be displayed with all your profiles you have configured within your Apex Unit and ones added by default as you add modules to your system.
Click on the Outputs in the upper left hand menu

outputs_Pressed.png

This will reveal a list of outputs you have configured for your controller plus ones created when modules are added
Click Add/Delete

Outputs_menu.png

A Pop Up Box will appear enter the name
maint_apex.png

Click Ok

You will be brought back to your list, click on the Virtual Outlet to bring up the Advance Screen
advance_Maint-Sceen.png

When you first create the outlet it will be SET OFF
You will add Fallback OFF (This is for additional safety that during communication loss to the Apex then it will go off, even if you have it on)

After you put this statement in you need to push the change to the Apex you will see an Icon in the Upper Right Hand Corner of the Screen Highlighted Update Apex (This pushes the change to the Apex)
Update Apex.png

Adding Maintenance Button to Fusion or Apex Local
The Steps are the same on both but when new modules are added, along with new virtual outlets you will notice when you return to your main dashboard page the New Tiles Button will light up

Click on New Tiles Icon

Apex Local Icon:
New_tile.png

Apex Fusion Icon:
Apex_Mainteance_dashboard.png

Find your Maintenance Virtual Outlet and Drag it down to your dashboard.
Mainteance_dashboard.png

Program your Outlet to do the following:
Turn off when the Skimmer Bucket is Full
Turn Off if Feed is On
Turn Off if Maintenance is On

On the Apex dashboard, click on the small gear next to your outlet you have your skimmer plugged into. you will be brought to the configuration of your outlet ( I was not sure what the default screen would be as mine or all configured with advance configurations so I just changed it real quick to Always to take the screen shot)

Skimmer_Apex_outlet.png

Click Control Type of Advanced from the drop down menu
We are choosing this option because no drop down menus exist, but it can be achieved utilizing the Apex Programming language on the outlet
apex_program_skimmer.png

In the Advance Configuration you will put the following commands:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If Output Maintenance = ON Then OFF

Line 1: Is used in the event the Apex looses communication to the outlet the outlet will power down
Line 2: Setting the Skimmer default power to On
Line 3: SW1 was where my Float switch was connected, Open means it was activated, and when Activated meant the bucket was full
Line 4: FeedA was the Feed mode I was using to turn off the skimmer, feed modes are located Misc menu of the Apex Device (My Default was 15 Minutes Off)
feed_apex.png

Line 5: Was the Name of the Virtual Outlet when I turn On will turn off for Maintenance mode

Save your Config to the Apex

Bonus:

Maybe you would like to Defer your on time for your Skimmer

differ_On.png

Line 6: Defer 015:00 Then ON (How much time to wait before turning the outlet back on after it was off)

Option 2 Using the Feed timer for Maintenance

I could have done this easily with two feed timers. This would eliminated the steps of creating a Virtual Outlet, but then it not saying maintenance on my dashboard and I have to remember it was FeedD.

Then the code would looked like this:
FEED2a.png

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks. Most use option two as it gets the job done in a matter of about a minute and you get the advantage of both a dashboard (on app or any browser, local or remote) single button shortcut as well as the ability to simply tap the down arrow on the display (if you use one).

Deep Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, I’m getting closer to tank set up and start. Can you confirm from what I’ve read here that the P4/doser must be set up connected to computer and that changes can be made through the app. However updates must also be made through computer? I’m asking as I don’t have a laptop so I want to confirm that I will have to disconnect my equipment so I can update it. If true I may pick up a cheap laptop for this purpose.

Thanks

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However updates must also be made through computer?

I'll reply since I updated my GHL Doser's firmware last week. You need to plug in a USB cable, the port is on the lower left rear corner if you're looking at the unit. I was able to reach around and plug in a cable without moving my Doser too much. It's good to keep in mind when mounting the unit. I upgraded via Windows PC, I suspect it's possible on a Mac/Linux running virtualization software, but I'm not positive.

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased and received my stand alone doser. You do need a pc for initial set up. I then converted it to a slave doser and will control it through my p4. I did this because I never know when my needs will change so I can always convert it back to a stand alone.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, I’m getting closer to tank set up and start. Can you confirm from what I’ve read here that the P4/doser must be set up connected to computer and that changes can be made through the app. However updates must also be made through computer? I’m asking as I don’t have a laptop so I want to confirm that I will have to disconnect my equipment so I can update it. If true I may pick up a cheap laptop for this purpose.

Thanks

The Slave Doser Initial configuration configuration in in the system panel and setting the pumps and the upgrade require the Laptop. (I use my Surface Tablet)

Both @HolisticBear and @Buddah001 beat me to the response also :)

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks. Most use option two as it gets the job done in a matter of about a minute and you get the advantage of both a dashboard (on app or any browser, local or remote) single button shortcut as well as the ability to simply tap the down arrow on the display (if you use one).

No problems Terence :)

It would also not be fair for me not to say that GHL also has the same advantage on an app, any browser local or remote to a single button shortcut as well as the ability to simply tap on the Touch interface (If they use one)

In the App:
GHL_app.PNG

On the Cloud Service:
GHL_Cloud.PNG

On the Touch: (Looks like a Maintenance Icon) (Feed Icons look like Feed Icons):
GHL_Touch.JPG

And the P4:
maint_P4.png

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have posted this when I did it last night, my mistake, but the P4 initial web interface pages are out, and a great first steps!! (Mimics in some ways the GCC App)

You can now access a web interface on the P4:

screen1.png

Menu of the P4 Web Interface
screen2.png

Illumination Area of the P4 Interface (You can click in these and program them just as you could do within the GCC APP)

screen3.png

Simulation menu's are already available now (I just like this menu and the set of options easy to understand)

screen4.png

Turning on Expert Mode provides even more of the Menu options in the P4

screen6.png

@Marco@GHLUSA and @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Germany a great first step!! Nice Job, I was surprised on how many of the functions have already been brought over from the desktop app to the P4.

Few things are still not done within the P4 interface and I have seen a few bugs. If your a P4 owner head over the the GHL forums and provide feedback. I plan to post this in the GHL Forums here also.

Make sure you follow the instructions exactly if you do the upgrade it very important to do it per the instructions. I did this entire upgrade through the web interface!!

Where the software is located:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-modul-esp-update/#

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@David Childs glad to help!! And welcome to the club!!

I am still waiting on:

Leak detectors - on order
KH - on order

Now testing:
AWC - testing now before documenting steps
Calcium reactor - regulating it with the co2 relay and now it on the GHL Maxi, both being tested before documenting how I did it.

Final redundancy configurations for:
Return pump
Media pump

It has been a unlearning one way to do things and now do it another. I am glad this thread is helping others!!

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heu @Ditto, have you set your fallback states? Maybe I missed it if you've discussed that already. I haven't set mine since the profilux never has an issue, but thinking I should. Just wondering if you've done that. Thanks

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH Director Arrived this week and is now installed:
khd1.png

khd2.JPG

When I order the kit it I ordered it with 4 2.1 pumps, I swapped it with my 3 head 2.0 pumps that were dosing Triton so I could use the 4 head to dose 4 part. I do plan to just order a new 3 head 2.1 also when my new tank comes in.

khd4.JPG

Users who have the Ptouch also can see in the display when the unit taking the measurement.
khd5.JPG

Following @MyReefRobbedMe instructions: (Make sure you follow this exactly)

1st

CALIBRATE all three pump heads...pump 1 saltwater from your tank ...pump 2 reagent into a cup and then dump back in so your not wasting it (different clean cup than saltwater) leaving the line from pump to reagent port full....pump 3 drain just use a cup of saltwater from your tank and and then back into a diff cup....

2nd

Go into GCC go to the KHD and go to that calculation screen under Maintenance and don't hit vent but push flush measurement cell and then when it's all done and it takes a few min ..... push empty measurement cell completely

3rd

Test Time......don't push vent just let it run the first test with the line full and even if you can see a small 1/16 air before that line goes into the reagent port just let it run one test....this will be like a Maintenance test. You may even get a message at the end of the test Error Titration Timed Out....second test should be on the money.

I am documenting the steps now and will be posting them shortly.

Last edited:

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for continuing to up date this. I keep flip flopping between buying the P4 or the Apex. From what I have seen here and my own research my summary is
  • Fusion still blows away myGHL and means I do not need to buy a PC just to updates it's firmware
  • Apex in the UK still DOES NOT come with the new power bar MASSIVE FAIL
  • Apex does not have a buzzer built in for alarms
  • GHL have not given any timeline as to when you will be able to do everything from myGH L
I am coming to the conclusion that I might wait for one of the above to change and then purchase a controller.
Please keep the updates coming.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfishy first glad to help :)

I can at least help you one of these:

It is True the Apex base unit does not have a built in alarm, but you can buy the Apex display and that does have a audible alarm within it.

I will keep the updates coming :) I hope some day your issue on which controller to choose comes to a conclusion. (Windows Tablets are pretty cheap hehe, oh and it can double as a display)

Both MYGHL and Fusion have advantages and disadvantages as seen in my post, but your correct you can not update the firmware yet from MYGHL or from the P4 web interface directly for now.

Last edited:

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto how do you think you would get along just using the app and MyGHL with no access to GCC? Do you think you could configure and control everything or do you really need GCC?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfishy - I could answer this a few ways, before or after the Initial Configuration?

After the Initial configuration utilizing either the App, MYGHL or the P4 Web Interface I could not do the following things and would need the desktop app to actually to do these configuration:
  • Vortech Settings and configuration
  • Notification Configuration
Below are the initial configuration features that would need converted to the P4 Interface, MYGHL , or APP as they would also require the desktop app:
  • Powerbar 5.1 Outlets when you first plug one in you need to configure the outlet port # (Only if you have more then one PowerBar the outlets defaults to 1-5)
  • Setting the Dosing Pump numbers (Only have to if you have more then one doser, the Doser Defaults to channel 1-4)
  • Setting the Mitras Lightbar Channels, and configure the P4 Mitras port to serial (Again the Light channels default 1-10, I needed to change mine because of my Simulation sticks also being used, but the Mitras port on the P4 needed to be set and only could be through the desktop software)
  • Firmware (Even thou the last upgrade for the Wireless I did through the web interface the base system is still through the desktop software)
I am not sure how they would port over the:
Mitras Light Simulator for the Lightbar and Mitras lighting, that is a very nice option within GCC desktop software for users who use the Mitras lighting.

Now that the above is all done thou my programming changes and day to day activities are not being done with the desktop software at all. When I set up the KH, except for the firmware upgrade, and the Dosing pump assignments everything else I did was done within the GCC app.

This may not be the answer your looking for. The P4 is not there yet in the porting of all options to a HTML interface but it is coming, and I believe they been upfront about this, and based on the update frequency they are trying to address this issue. For the menu items GHL has ported over to the P4 access and comparing the same menu options available for the Apex, the P4 offers more menu options in those HTML interfaces then that of the Apex. Apex achieves some of those menu options through the use of the advance programming language and not in the drop down menus like you see on the P4 interface.

People choose controllers based on specific requirements. If the HTML compatibility on all features is one of your primary requirement, then the GHL is not there yet. As you know reading this thread my decision was not based on the HTML compatibility but was based on stability, reliability and features. With my conversion almost done I have no regrets in the decision I made in switching controllers and I do plan to post my matrix comparing GHL to Apex. I am just not done with my switch out yet, only a few things left. The KH has really taken up most of my time, both in testing but also documenting that functionality(And I am also playing with it:)), after that I have the Leak Detectors which I have installed, Differ 15 minutes after Feed timer, Salinity Fail-safe, and Doser Fail-safes, and powerbar fail safes which are also all done and online and tested.

Forgot to also add, I am also doing a new build thread on a tank and that tank will also be using all GHL product so that thread I plan to show the configuration through the use of MYGHL, GHL App, and the P4 Interfaces in explaining the setup. When I started this thread the GHL App, P4 Interface were not out yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWIII I do owe you fail safes they are coming, before posting them I wanted them all tested and working as intended. Sorry for the delay.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWIII I do owe you fail safes they are coming, before posting them I wanted them all tested and working as intended. Sorry for the delay.

No worries my friend! I knew you would come back to that when you got the time and had them tested. I think it will serve as a good reminder for everyone. Thank you sir!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back