Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. My apex equipment has been nothing but problems as of late, mostly because I am trying to make it do stuff it doesn't want to do lol. I don’t even bother with support these days. Fortunately the forum users have been able to help me figure out and resolve my issues usually the same day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated the Base Unit Comparisons as promised: (Thank you Again @kodo28 for the correction)
Base_1_updated5122018a.png
Base_2_updated5122018a.png
Base_3_updated5122018a.png

Observation: The GHL Unit offers more ports, and expandability within the Base unit and has some features Apex does not have that requires the Apex to add external modules to achieve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with the GHL flow sensors being online for a while, below were my observations on GHL and Neptune Systems Flow Sensors:
flow_updated_5202018a.png
flow_updated 5202018_b.png

Observations: Both GHL and Neptune Systems flow sensors can be viewed and programmed via a HTML interface, but Neptune systems can graph/chart flow meters over a period of time. To connect a flow sensor to an Apex base unit and external module (FMM) needs to be connected to the base unit this is not a requirement for GHL. Depending on the location you install a Neptune systems flow meter, based on the paddle-wheel design of the sensor, it may require more maintenance due to clogging or binding of the paddle wheel. (The original installation of the Neptune System flow sensors were off my return pump and reefgium input and I had to clean the Neptune Systems Flow sensors every 3 months to maintain optimal operations, this has not been the case with the GHL flow sensors installed in the exact same location).

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what I’d need here. I have the apex ATOs (ATK), can those work with the GHL somehow? I have a ton of stuff. 3 energy bars, 3 DOS units, two temp and PH probes, KH guardian (can that work with the ghl or am I better off with their KH monitor) two ATK units, float valve sensors, etc.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoomCorals - I tried to use the Apex optical sensors on the P4 even with an PLM-ADM and could not get them to work. The energy bars and DOS units are specific to the Apex, you can use the KH guardian as it can work stand alone, but the advantage of the KH device it can actually adjust dosing based on the Alkalinity of levels (Works Great). Float should should be no issue.

Your situation was the same as mine which is a heavy investment in the product, the stability of the GHL is unparalleled. I have yet to begin listing my Apex stuff on the forums for sale, which I plan to do to help offset some of the costs of switch out, but I still have no regrets on the swap out. To the point that my new tank is all GHL products, and I plan to post here in and my build thread the steps on that tank as I have some modules on the new tank that were not on this tank, and are putting things like switches in the cabinet, using a barrel tender on the new tank, and adding the PLM-ADM Module and GHL Fan Module.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoomCorals you might want to post in the GHL forum and tag Marco and/or Vinny. I bet if you list out what you have for your Apex, like you did here, they'll be able to piece out what you'll need to swap over to the Profilux.

I also opted for the Profilux on these last two builds and am glad I did. I will admit the Fusion software was far easier for me to work with than GHL's software but aside from that I have no complaints. The equipment is top notch. On top of that GHL customer service is also top notch, they take care of their customers. I've got the Profilux (Ultimate package), the 2.1 doser and soon the Mitras LEDs.

If you decide to make the switch, I don't think you'll regret it. Not to mention all the great info @Ditto has put out here to help folks.

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might add that the difference between 0-10V and 1-10V is purely in nomenclature.

GHL also allows usage values lower than 1V, but you should not as this breaks protocol specs if implemented correctly. (Any voltage below 1V is supposed to mean zero but signal. Voltage of 0V means not connected or cable fault)
In fact GHL allows any voltage between 0V and 10V to be set as zero and max values.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoomCorals - I tried to use the Apex optical sensors on the P4 even with an PLM-ADM and could not get them to work. The energy bars and DOS units are specific to the Apex, you can use the KH guardian as it can work stand alone, but the advantage of the KH device it can actually adjust dosing based on the Alkalinity of levels (Works Great). Float should should be no issue.

Your situation was the same as mine which is a heavy investment in the product, the stability of the GHL is unparalleled. I have yet to begin listing my Apex stuff on the forums for sale, which I plan to do to help offset some of the costs of switch out, but I still have no regrets on the swap out. To the point that my new tank is all GHL products, and I plan to post here in and my build thread the steps on that tank as I have some modules on the new tank that were not on this tank, and are putting things like switches in the cabinet, using a barrel tender on the new tank, and adding the PLM-ADM Module and GHL Fan Module.

I think the kh guardian has a aim module which is just a bnc port to apex as a pH input. You should be able to use it for p4. It's just a reading in pH =kh

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@BoomCorals you might want to post in the GHL forum and tag Marco and/or Vinny. I bet if you list out what you have for your Apex, like you did here, they'll be able to piece out what you'll need to swap over to the Profilux.

I also opted for the Profilux on these last two builds and am glad I did. I will admit the Fusion software was far easier for me to work with than GHL's software but aside from that I have no complaints. The equipment is top notch. On top of that GHL customer service is also top notch, they take care of their customers. I've got the Profilux (Ultimate package), the 2.1 doser and soon the Mitras LEDs.

If you decide to make the switch, I don't think you'll regret it. Not to mention all the great info @Ditto has put out here to help folks.

Thank you both, I'm going to do exactly that. :) I love my apex, but I think I could save a TON of space with a GHL setup. The apex stuff is very bulky. I also don't like some of the nuances of the neptune items and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately I've been able to resolve all of my issues with help of forums, usually same day, vs having to wait a few days for neptune. :p Part of the problem I think is that I have my apex doing stuff programmatically that it really wasn't designed to do per se. So it's sort of my own doing. But the GHL as I am reading does do these things.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have soooo many external apex modules, you should see the cluster under one of my tanks. Here are some pics lol.

714FF8EC-8808-459F-9581-753A81E78370.jpeg
E5319E72-F9A9-4E45-BE8A-392F7653E896.jpeg

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have soooo many external apex modules, you should see the cluster under one of my tanks. Here are some pics lol.

714FF8EC-8808-459F-9581-753A81E78370.jpeg
E5319E72-F9A9-4E45-BE8A-392F7653E896.jpeg
Yeah. Great time to switch out.
Solid piece of machine
I love just having a simple, clean look, just adding expansion cards or a box is just easy.

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greatest feature missing from GHL is the scripts.
Logic functions in GHL are feature complete as far as I can tell. But they are quickly impossible to maintain and modify compared to some lines of script.
Or at least that is what I think I'm missing out on when I see apex.
Also the wavemaker setup is extremely simplistic.

Linux users might be happy to hear the control center software runs fine on wine. Wine exists for Mac as well, your mileage might vary.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoomCorals - reminds me of the Apex Module and cable mess I use to have.

I just installed new P4 on my new tank build(https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...d-a-new-tank-build.366880/page-2#post-4722113), and it was great to just open up the unit and install a O2 Card and a Air/Humidity card without worrying about running a cable to another module and trying to find room under a already tight cabinet for a module.
P4_Open1a.jpg
P4_Cards_Installeda.jpg

Great things come in small packages :)

P4_Back.JPG
I’m sold I just think I need to ensure my budget stays on track. Going to be about $4k with everything I’ll need.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread thank you so much for doing this!! I think it has made up my mind to go with GHL, the module mess from apex leaves much to be desired. Plus I love the cleaner lines of the ghl products not to mention they come in White!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PropellerBreeze II – 4

One of the things I wanted to try on my new tank was a way to cool the tank without the use of a chiller which this tank is using. I coudl have bought clip on fans, but saw that GHL had a fan cooling system and thought I would give it a try.

I purchased both the PropellerBreeze II and the PropellerControl-2.1 module for the Breeze. The PropellerControl-2.1 allows for variable speed control of the Breeze, which is not required if you wish to run the fans off an outlet and have them just switch on and off on the outlet at 100% fan speed. I did not want to do this, I wanted the fans to adjust speed based on the tank temp.

Observations, very easy to setup, dead silent operations.

Below is the PropellerBreeze 4 fan system (They do make larger and smaller ones then this one)

GHL1_Breeze.JPG

External Module to control the Speed of the Fan
GHL1_Breeze2.JPG

When the unit comes you need to install the feet. A long bolt is slid into bottom of the unit and you install 4 feet two per size, with washers between them and on the end is a threaded knob allowing you to tighten and loosen the feet.
GHL1_Breeze3.JPG
GHL1_Breeze4.JPG

Installed on tank
B5DB8348-13CC-404C-B447-9628C7CE20EC.jpeg

Configuring the PropellerBreeze
* the PropellerConrol 2.1 was plugged into the back of my P4 utilizing one the Yellow Ports (Very Important) to plug it into the YELLOW Port :)

First Configure the L1 Port

Within myGHL or GHL Control Center (Could not Configure this from the GCC App, or the P4 Web Interface)
Click Systems
Click on the 1-10V Interfaces
Choose L1 and click Edit
In the Function chose the Temperature Probe you want the Fan to be controlled by (For me it was Temperature Probe 1)
Place a Description: in the Description Field
Leave the Output Signal as is

Breeze2.png

Second Configure your Temperature Variation 1-10V on Temperature 1

Since I was already inside the GCC Desktop App I already did it their, but you can also do that setting from the P4 Device, or the GCC APP.

Click Probe/sensor controls
click Temperature 1
Adjust your 1-10v is max deviation setting (So in the example above the fans are going to run at 100% when the Temperature is above 81.6 degrees, and variable down when the temperature is 78.00 degrees)
breeze3.png

Screen Shot of the Configuration within the P4 Interface (Adjusted mine down to 77 and left it to 3.6)
breeze4.png

Since this is the first time using them, I will need to monitor and adjust.

Overall very easy to setup and use.

@sheldonjjessup - Thank you for the kind words, glad you found the information helpful!!

Last edited:

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this whole thread and just wanted to verify something. Is it true that GHL doesn't have any type of cloud integration, so the only way to manage your system remotely from the app is to port forward the device?

Back