Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Planning for a P4 set but still on the fence if I should purchase a ProfiLux Touch.
May i check with existing users, can an android tablet mounted next to the tank function the same as the Touch?

Thank you.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Planning for a P4 set but still on the fence if I should purchase a ProfiLux Touch.
May i check with existing users, can an android tablet mounted next to the tank function the same as the Touch?

Thank you.

I was in the same camp as you are and have decided to go with the touch based on two things that are important for me:

1- direct connection to the P4, so no delay, no internet connection issues, no server issues

2- you can turn off individual sockets with the touch, and they will stay off until you manually put them back on. With the app or myghl if you manually turn one socket off say for maintenance, as soon as your device goes to sleep mode it will revert back to its default programmed state.

3- (I know I said 2) but being able to spot all your parameters at a glance without hassles associated with 1) is also useful for me.

As Ditto said, the thread above will provide more info and is what I used to makeup my mind.

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents, thanks for the replies. Will have to get the ultimate set!

I am getting a bit worried with equipment list for the build. ;Nailbiting
By the time the tank and equipments get wet, i think all i have left in my pocket is to buy some green chromis....

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the touch and no regrets in the choice.
I small firmware update concerning the Fonts option and alarm sound choice would be a plus for the next update. ;)

Last edited:

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @Ditto. I'm new here - your thread convinced me to both sign up (a feat in itself - the last reefing forum I signed up for was Nano-Reef.com, in 2001(!)) and to replace my recently-nuked Aquatronica with a Profilux rather than an Apex. I have two questions for you:

1. Am I seeing it correctly that each GHL device requires its own power supply? So the controller, KH director, each dosing pump, etc? Is there no way to have one power supply that powers all GHL equipment, or powers the controller and then everything takes its power from that? I'd like to avoid having power bricks everywhere!

2. On the dosing pumps (both kinds), when you press the manual button, is that usage reflected in the software/the app? I think this may already have been answered but I cannot find it again.

Thanks in advance for any input.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On number 1, yes each device seems to need its own power supply.

On 2, yes it does! So if you manually push your alk button, that usage comes out of the "container" in the software.

Hi there @Ditto. I'm new here - your thread convinced me to both sign up (a feat in itself - the last reefing forum I signed up for was Nano-Reef.com, in 2001(!)) and to replace my recently-nuked Aquatronica with a Profilux rather than an Apex. I have two questions for you:

1. Am I seeing it correctly that each GHL device requires its own power supply? So the controller, KH director, each dosing pump, etc? Is there no way to have one power supply that powers all GHL equipment, or powers the controller and then everything takes its power from that? I'd like to avoid having power bricks everywhere!

2. On the dosing pumps (both kinds), when you press the manual button, is that usage reflected in the software/the app? I think this may already have been answered but I cannot find it again.

Thanks in advance for any input.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it would be nice to have one power supply for all the devices. Each person has a different set up. I have four dosers and one is the first gen model ( different dc voltage) then a profilux and KH unit. The combinations would be endless. I would like a central source of power but not easy to a complish.

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect - thanks very much! I'm pleased about 2.

On number 1, yes each device seems to need its own power supply.

On 2, yes it does! So if you manually push your alk button, that usage comes out of the "container" in the software.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, (Still waiting on a few parts so I can swap everything out)

First Flow Sensor Replaced: (In-Line to the Reefgium)

Picture of the Old Apex FMM:

IMG_1113.JPG

GHL Now inline:
IMG_1114.JPG

Configuration of Flow Sensor:

From within GHL Control Center Application
Expand Probe/Sensor controls
Click on Flow Sensors
Choose the Flow-Sensor Number you wish to use
Click on the Determine the Calibration button, and choose the type of flow sensor (Mine was 9000 l/h)
Connected at Level sensor (Choose the port number that the sensor is connected to) for my setup it was #4

Since this is l/h to convert to g/h you need to divide the number by 3.785 liters or below approx 380 Gallons an hour.

Flow_sensor_P4.jpg

Interesting how the FMM use to say it was 257 Gallons an hour:
Flow_Sensors.jpg

Hi Ditto,

Just by curiosity, did you tested which one was the most realistic ?
257 vs 380 gal is not a small difference o_O

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kodo28 - the GHL results seemed more accurate. I took a 55 gallon garbage can and let it run on different speeds and the GHL seemed to record more accurate the GPH.

All I did was remove the flow sensor from my Refugium and let it fill it up and time how long. It not 100% scientific :)

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kodo28 - the GHL results seemed more accurate. I took a 55 gallon garbage can and let it run on different speeds and the GHL seemed to record more accurate the GPH.

All I did was remove the flow sensor from my Refugium and let it fill it up and time how long. It not 100% scientific :)

Thanks Ditto ;)
What about the maintenance they need often to be cleaned ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kodo38 - no they been pretty much set and forget I have not pulled them since installed and they read the same as they did the day I installed them. Very happy with them,.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good ;)
@Kodo38 - no they been pretty much set and forget I have not pulled them since installed and they read the same as they did the day I installed them. Very happy with them,.

Thanks Ditto for the feedback ;)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve posted this in another thread but do any of you know if it is possible to have the P4 send you a notification in case of a power outage?

Thanks!

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto,
Any update on using the maxi doser for the CARX? And the KH Director. I am deciding on whether to transition to from dosing Triton to a calcium reactor. Appreciate any updates. Thanks!

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve posted this in another thread but do any of you know if it is possible to have the P4 send you a notification in case of a power outage?

Thanks!
It can detect power outages. There is a extra power port to sense outages. The profilux itself needs to be powered via UPS for that to work of course.
You can configure how your tank should react to a power outage.

I don't know if it can notify you as I have a 3rd gen profilux only. But I would very much expect that. Just can't confirm it.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto,
Any update on using the maxi doser for the CARX? And the KH Director. I am deciding on whether to transition to from dosing Triton to a calcium reactor. Appreciate any updates. Thanks!

I was not able to the dial the flow enough for my CARX. :(

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back