Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech Pumps Configured Part 2

Thank you crabs_mcjones and Vinny@GHLUSA or helping me out on the Vortech Issues.

Following
crabs_mcjones post to do a hard reset(https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-vortech-controller-install-issue.331836/#post-4130159) I was able to pair all 3 controllers to the GHL Vortech Control. Per Vinny@GHLUSA, I will not see a status of my pumps as a software upgrade is coming to allow us to see QD status within the controller.
Vor_4.jpg

Once the pumps are assigned you can edit the pumps schedules
Vor_5.jpg

Above is my Daily schedule following closely what I had before which was having a high and low tide. The Green dot is the one that is currently active.

Some things you need to remember:
Your pump intensity is 1 to 255, so if you want for example 70% of the pump intensity it is 70% of the 255 so approx 179.

When I first did my pumps I set them all to 1-100 thinking 1 was the lowest and 100 was the highest and started to scratch my head looking at the pumps every few hours going why are they running so low.

I was unable to do this anywhere in the myghl web application, and until the software is updated you will not know the status of your pump, if it is for example stalled or offline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Storms configured within my Apex, utilizing Profile, the P4 makes this much easier:

Enabling Thunder Storms:
From within MYGHL Desktop Application
Expand the Illumination Section
Click on Thunderstorms on the bottom of the list will reveal options to configure your Thunderstorms

Thunder_1.jpg

I set mine up to be 5 Minutes a Minimum of 2 Hours Apart and a max of 100 Hours Apart or 4.1 Days (I was hoping I could put like 2 Day wait time in here by the most you can do is 240 Mins)

thunder_2.jpg

I went into the Mitras Simulation Light Bar Illumination Channel and applied Darken by Thunderstorms so moonlight. Based on the settings above it will be 50% lighting of the moon.

thunder_3.jpg

I then went into each one of my Vortech Pumps and Configure the Pumps for Thunderstorm

Vor_5.jpg

thunder_4.jpg

Make Sure you Choose the Active special mode for Thunderstorm is checked
thunder_6.jpg

Very Very Simple you now have Thunderstorms on your PowerHeads!!

Before I forget I was able to find the setting in the MYGHL Web Application Also
thunder_8.jpg

Last edited:

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, (Still waiting on a few parts so I can swap everything out)

First Flow Sensor Replaced: (In-Line to the Reefgium)

Picture of the Old Apex FMM:

IMG_1113.JPG

GHL Now inline:
IMG_1114.JPG

Configuration of Flow Sensor:

From within GHL Control Center Application
Expand Probe/Sensor controls
Click on Flow Sensors
Choose the Flow-Sensor Number you wish to use
Click on the Determine the Calibration button, and choose the type of flow sensor (Mine was 9000 l/h)
Connected at Level sensor (Choose the port number that the sensor is connected to) for my setup it was #4

Since this is l/h to convert to g/h you need to divide the number by 3.785 liters or below approx 380 Gallons an hour.

Flow_sensor_P4.jpg

Interesting how the FMM use to say it was 257 Gallons an hour:
Flow_Sensors.jpg

Ditto how do you like the GHL flow meters so far? Do you like them better than the Neptune Meters? If so why? They look like their built better.
Thanks

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality the GHL Flow meter seems better built then the Apex. (Connection to the Sensor is much better, inside no moving parts on the GHL)

I use to have to take my Apex ones offline once a month and clean them, I have yet to do that with the GHL ones, which are in the exact same position as the old ones.

I miss the graphing of the Flow Meter in Fusion, but I believe that is coming, and cannot code anything to use them, for example if a Flow is X turn off or on Y hopefully that comes, I used them mostly as safety if they went to 0 I use to turn off my return pump as a backup to my leak detectors.

One thing I did find different, is the GHL show higher readings then the Apex FMM versions. For the heck of it, I took what was off the reefgium input and let it fill a 35 gallon garbage can because I was curious, and it seemed that the GHL was a closer reading then Apex FMM not by much approx 5-7% but it was noticeable. (I do understand this is not scientific, but I would have thought in the same exact position they would be almost spot on but that was not the case). To bad we can not get BRS to investigate..

Overall I would say both would do the job, but if you want less maintenance, and better build quality the GHL is the way to go and I am very happy with the decision. (You do pay more for the GHL ones)

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!! :)

Not sure if I’m MAD at you or not?? ;) I was already to buy an Apex then I read your thread, now I’m not so sure. The more I read about the ProfiLux 4 the more I like it. The big thing holding me back right now is price. GHL products are definitely more expensive but they seem to be better quality. Neptune changed their MAP pricing so the price difference isn’t as much as it was a few months ago. Hopefully BRS decides to sell GHL products on their website and do a few videos.

Have you asked Marco about turning pumps on and off with the flow meters?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EdsReefOdyssey - Have you asked Marco about turning pumps on and off with the flow meters?
I have not asked, but on the GHL Main forum others have asked, and been told it is in the pipe line on the ability to use it to turn on and off devices.

Only be mad if you bought the Apex and went oh wait wish I bought GHL ;). I agree GHL cost a bit more, but for example the flow meter what cost less on Apex caused me more maintenance down the road.

I am kicking myself as I get close and closer getting the conversion completed. The doser I am very pleased with, which I have to post stark difference then the DOS, I now have relays working for my CO2 scrubber, my experience with the MYGHL website has been good, and the app for the phones just released for testing looks very promising. Reefers have some great options and great information at his/her fingertips to aid on making decesions. My choice was stability, reliability, then cost.

I wish BRS would look at GHL, not sure why they do not..

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto how do you like the GHL flow meters so far? Do you like them better than the Neptune Meters? If so why? They look like their built better.
Thanks

By the looks of most things GHL is better quality (Made) across the board over apex. And someone asked in another thread and BRS responded saying it's already on there upcoming To Do list.

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks of most things GHL is better quality (Made)

I don't want to hijack @Ditto amazing thread here, but as an owner of a Mitras, Profilux, and Doser I have to say their software is exceedingly challenging. This is coming from a 40 year old tech person that remembers installing Slackware Linux 0.96 off floppies in the 90s and remembers 80s PC Software. I can write a page of bugs within 10 minutes of usage. It took hours to get the Doser to calibrate. PC software has random disconnects (know all about static ip, firmware updates, etc), Android 100% fail, then tried the cloud but encountered save/refresh issues that robbed my confidence. Settled on iOS which works, but with plenty of UI issues. Given the numerous complaints of Apex randomly resetting, along the lines of @Ditto original motivation, I don't regret my purchase. However, most people are going to really struggle setting one up. Thankfully this thread is a great resource, along with the invaluable advice of @d2mini and @Lasse. The new iOS app is promising and potentially in another year this will all be ancient history as the cloud + mobile apps improve.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to hijack @Ditto amazing thread here, but as an owner of a Mitras, Profilux, and Doser I have to say their software is exceedingly challenging. This is coming from a 40 year old tech person that remembers installing Slackware Linux 0.96 off floppies in the 90s and remembers 80s PC Software. I can write a page of bugs within 10 minutes of usage. It took hours to get the Doser to calibrate. PC software has random disconnects (know all about static ip, firmware updates, etc), Android 100% fail, then tried the cloud but encountered save/refresh issues that robbed my confidence. Settled on iOS which works, but with plenty of UI issues. Given the numerous complaints of Apex randomly resetting, along the lines of @Ditto original motivation, I don't regret my purchase. However, most people are going to really struggle setting one up. Thankfully this thread is a great resource, along with the invaluable advice of @d2mini and @Lasse. The new iOS app is promising and potentially in another year this will all be ancient history as the cloud + mobile apps improve.

I think we were mostly referring to the actual build quality between the two, at least I was anyway. And yes it does seem that there software is a little behind the curve but they seem to be making strides to level the playing field and in the mean time we have this wonderful thread and dedicated members like @Ditto, @d2mini and @Lasse who are more than happy to help out. This thread should really be stickied for those new Ghl users

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hours to calibrate the doser??? That should take just a couple mins per head. What took so long?
I'm surprised you've had so many issues programming.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hours to calibrate the doser??? That should take just a couple mins per head. What took so long?
I'm surprised you've had so many issues programming.

It took me awhile to give up on PC software, then cloud, then Android. iOS worked. I got a bad head on pump1. It runs at speed 2/3, but if you run 0/1 it gets stuck and makes a horrible loud alarm sound. Didn't have any real connectivity issues with Mitras or Profilux, doser is jinxed. The PC just drops connectivity in the middle of a session. I disabled cloud + Android, didn't improve anything. Sticking with iOS. It's been solid the last 3 days, head 1 at speed 2, the others at speed 1.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird!
GCC on my little tablet PC disconnects occasionally but never during a programming session. Usually overnight or a couple days later.
I've been looking forward to the app though. Just waiting for apple to approve it!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael - no worries on hijacking the thread, it always good to get everyone point of view on the thread.

@d2mini
- I have had my GCC disconnect randomly during programming but I noticed it when I set values way below something, or above the numbers allowed in the interface (Or it seems that way) . I have a unique issue also that I been able to replicate it, is I use GCC on my PC in my Den,I have noticed when my PC goes to sleep and I leave the GCC application on it does not reconnect to the unit, I must reset the P4 unit. I worked around this by just making sure to disconnect when I am done using it on my PC. The last quirk and I was going to email them because this just came up, it seems if I reset my P4, and I did it this weekend, because was organizing my cables, I noticed my expansion box does not reconnect until I reset the expansion box also. I been able to easily replicate this issue.

Now the more complex question, a techie also, oh the days of window print drivers on disk, or novel group wise, dial up BBSing and no google. The Apex 2016 connecting to my wireless network was a nightmare, and did not work to start with. I finally connected it the same way I connected my old Apex Gold unit, using my wireless bridge with a Ethernet port off the unit, setting a static IP, DNS, nothing else would work for me to get this unit online. As for the P4, I had no issues, I put it downstairs, connected my USB cable to the unit, and was up and running in about 5 minutes after setting wireless information and only reconnected via USB twice both times for upgrading the firmware of the unit.

It took me about 30 minutes to set up my doser, I could have eliminated some of the time but I was also taking screen shots and taking notes for future posts to this thread on how to set one up. I really had no issues, and are sorry that it took @MrMichael so long.

Apex is very strong in the web side, it's Fusion is very good as a web tool, but your forced to use the web portal, to do some of the programming. Why I say forced on some aspects, if you want to use some of the cooler functions, like using graphs to control your lights, or pumps you need to use fusion. You can do it via the local web interface of the unit but your going to be writing code, and tdata 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,50,20,0,1 to program something is not going to be for the average user.

GHL is strong on the client side, the client software pretty much can do everything and then some. I do use the GCC software from my machine in the den PC over wireless via IP and have really no issue (Except if I forget to disconnect). It not a web interface, reminds me of the old windows days, but like everything else in the technical field you learn it. The GHL Web interface is coming along, but comparing Fusion they are night and day. Not because of the features, but in layout. I feel when you log into fusion it is cluttered everything you need to do is on one page, no tabs, no organization (Except dragging them around), as you can see in my posts my fusion front page is quite large if you have man probes, modules added to your system. GHL web portal is nicely broken down into sections, and mimics the local desktop software, and once I was used to it was very easily moving between the two. It does not have all the features of the local software but what I need to do remotely if need be it does have. I just wish the descriptions for example for the probes when you first log in showed not Temp 1 but Sump Temperature (I know it time hehe)

GHL biggest disadvantage over Apex is the lack of posting and demonstrations of how to do things in the product. You can find numerous post on how to do about anything you can imagine on the Apex unit. But on the GHL product not as much. When I bought my Apex Gold, if I had a question I would first search the Apex forums and 9 out of 10 times it was answered by the community. @d2mini, @Lasse, Vinny@GHLUSA, @Marco@GHLUSA they have answered many questions, have some great demo's how to do things, but compared to the Apex community it is less but it not because the unit can not do it, it just not documented in forums for other to read (But covered usually in the manual). The online community of the GHL product line is growing in the and feel over time you will be able to find most of the answers and examples of how to do things by just reading topics.

In close I do truly hope this topic gets Pinned, so others can really see that the GHL is not as hard to program as I believe some are lead to believe.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="This is coming from a 40 year old tech person that remembers installing Slackware Linux 0.96 off floppies in the 90s and remembers 80s PC Software. I can write a page of bugs within 10 minutes of usage.[/QUOTE]

Floppies. This made me literally laugh out loud.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2miniI have noticed when my PC goes to sleep and I leave the GCC application on it does not reconnect to the unit, I must reset the P4 unit. I worked around this by just making sure to disconnect when I am done using it on my PC. The last quirk and I was going to email them because this just came up, it seems if I reset my P4, and I did it this weekend, because was organizing my cables, I noticed my expansion box does not reconnect until I reset the expansion box also. I been able to easily replicate this issue.

Yes, I do believe mine disconnects if the pc goes to sleep. I just figured that's normal.
I have had it not want to reconnect, and will power cycle the P4. I figured it has something to do with the wifi.
I don't have the expansion box, so can't provide any experience with that one. :)

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is very strong in the web side, it's Fusion is very good as a web tool, but your forced to use the web portal, to do some of the programming. Why I say forced on some aspects, if you want to use some of the cooler functions, like using graphs to control your lights, or pumps you need to use fusion. You can do it via the local web interface of the unit but your going to be writing code, and tdata 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,50,20,0,1 to program something is not going to be for the average user.
I have been following this thread for some time and while there have been a few small inaccuracies here and there about the Apex, I have let them go, but this is one HUGE inaccuracy that I must step in and correct.

The Apex local mode (via its built in web server) has nearly all the functionality as the cloud access via Apex Fusion. Specifically, control configuration (programming) features through the graphing wizard are all there. The example below shows screenshots of the latest Radion configured on both local and Apex Fusion. Also shown is a screenshot of our dosing wizard, WAV wizard, and a Kessil configuration. All done on the local network. All done without an internet connection. All done from any PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, etc.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.54.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.54.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 11.01.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 11.02.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 11.04.06 AM.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto

I have only had connection problems with the old 3.1 and USB cable. When this happen I must take out the USB cable and restart GCC

Be careful with resetting PAB if you hav Exp boxes. When you do that and do a new connection - you will lost the stored calibrations of the Exp box probes (at least with P3) . You need to restore them from file. It is a very good idea to do a backup of both settings and sensor data when you have done calibrations or other changes. On other good tip is to look att C: <users <user<appdata<roaming<GHL Control Center < your controller’s serial number< There you find all Description DAT files. If you use two different PC or if you change PC - copy that catalogue (your controllers serial number) and paste it in (at the same place) when you have install your GCC at the new PC. After that - you will have all of the descriptions you do for all of your devices in the line for Description In GHL control Center with you to the new PC!

With the old P3 and the web server it used - GCC slow down very much if you at the same time use the web interface. (I very much miss this web interface in P4 but they have promised a better). However – if you use the GCC and My GHL – probably the same can happen. I do not use My GHL – do not understand why I should – the remote installations (P3) I manage – I manage them with Team Viewer and GCC

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse thank you for the heads up and tips. I have not had the issue of a re-calibrate the probe based on the expansion box reset. My issue is my expansion box is connected upstairs with a display unit off it and the O2 probe, ORP, Salinity, and PH Probe is within this unit and my Mitras light bars and the two Power bars for everything on the display tank. They all go offline until, and my GHL display says no PAB connection until I restart the expansion box and when I do everything starts working. (But only if I power down the P4)

Normally this would never happen, and again I just came across this and plan to put in a support call about it. If I loose power the expansion Box, and the P4 are going to power down until 10 seconds later when the whole house generator kicks on.

Like you I am going to VPN in and control like I am locally on my network but remote.

Last edited:
Back