OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 72 inches wide 18 inches wide and 24 inches high. Two rows cover it very well I would ask them if it would cover 24 inches I would think without any issues as with it over the middle of my tank I see the light over the tank sides without any issues.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, I like your Vortech schedule and was hoping you'd share the intensity setting for each cycle of the day. I see all the settings except how much power you have them set for.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.03.30 PM.png

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jporter17 no problem, below are those settings for My Mp60 is on the Left hand side of my tank, and my Two Mp40 are on the back wall. My Overflow is on the Right hand side.

MP60 Settings:

Mp60_Settings.jpg

MP40 Settings:
Mp40_Settings.jpg

You can also sync or Anti Sync in the MP40 settings to the Mp60 also if you like. I have done both.

The effect I was going for was a Early morning High Tide, repeated again 12 hours later.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto, thank you so much for the very thorough write up. I am currently planning a new build and have been researching controllers. I already own the GHL Doser 2.1 and think its amazing. After reading about Apex and now finding this thread, I am definitely going to purchase a the Profilux.

One major reason I was looking to have a controller is because my living room is pretty notorious at having too much CO2 and therefore low PH. I have a CO2 scrubber but wanted to put a solenoid to control my skimmers air intake between the CO2 scrubber and regular room air. I have found write ups on how to program the Apex to control the solenoid and even how to attach it. Do you think this is something that can be done with the Profilux? And would the solenoid have to use one of the outlets?

Additionally, you mentioned that you were surprised how big the power bars are, are they really that big? If I had to get a few, Im not sure how that would work in my stand.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ilyad Thank you for the kind words.

I have a Co2 Scrubber off my Skimmer. I use to use the Apex Solenoid plugged into the Eb832 to control it. Since I had to come up with a way to do it in GHL, I had to find a Solenoids that was an easy internet search :). I am currently using two 120 volt plugged into two separate outlets, but I am working on a 12V version also. So I went with two Solenoids, which are normally closed. (Read my change below thou :))

I Created Virtual PH Probe and set the Nominal Value and the Hystersis, unique feature for GHL. I am now experimenting with the Controller Mode type thanks to @Lasse on what he posted about a kalk reactor. I am currently at 8.l with a Hystersis of .1

Once you do that you assign them to your outlets like this
CO2 Scrubber.jpg

I know some are going to ask about the Hours being so low, this is because I upgraded my P4 to the latest code in preparation for the KHD director, and even thou I restored my data from a file the H do not reflect that.

Things I am going to change:
1- Relay will be normally open
1- Relay will be normally closed

I am going to do this to save wear and tear on the solenoid. I been able to trend this quite well, and my plan is the closed on will remain on the Scrubber, and the other will be open from skimmer cup when not powered on. (I currently use a Lifereef skimmer)

About the power-bars, I was surprised because I was use to both the Old eb8 apex Power outlets, and the new EB832. When I opened the first one I was surprised at the weight and size of it compared to the Apex, the build quality is very good on the unit. (Wish it had a mounting template guide thou hehe) The powerbar is 420 x 90 x 60 mm, I like to round and have some room so 17x4x3 will give you ample room.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ilyad

I have done exactly this in order to control the intake for my skimmer. tried first with a solenoid valve - but it was to small dimension for the air so I had to redo it in a better way

Here is the solenoid test

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/page-17#post-3444181

Here is my final solution - it still works very well and is managed by my PL4. Need one constant outlet and one managed by the pH controller of the P4

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/page-18#post-3494520

Sincerely Lasse

U

User1

View Badges
Is that a single dash board? If so, that is a lot of noise...

Since this is going to be a switch over from Apex to GHL, here is a screen shot of my Apex Fusion for comparison. As we place each device online I will show some of the readings between the two also.

baseline neptune.jpg

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse thanks I never thought about using a 3 way!!

@saf1 yes it is a single dashboard you can drag on and off tiles but you only have the one page.

Last edited:

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

Are you not at all worried about the product being made with brass (metal) and having the air run through it? Also, I know that ones that come out of China may not be regulated in the exact alloy that is being used.

From my other reading of this forum I found a group of people that bought a 3/8in push connect air solenoid that can be either AC or DC and either in always open or always closed positions (depending which you need more often). What that person did was use a Y adapter that connected to the skimmer intake. From one part of the Y it was connected to the CO2 scrubber. The other part was connected to the solenoid and a short tube that was just in the stand. The solenoid was always closed, unless energized. Because air follows the path of least resistance when the solenoid is closed, the air would draw through the scrubber. The solenoid was programmed to open if ph would hit let’s say 8.25, and again, since air flows theough less resistance, it would go through the short tube, bypassing the scrubber. This way you would also need only a single switchable outlet.

As a side note, the air may draw a little bit still from the scrubber, but that can be either adjusted by having the solenoid open a bit earlier, or placing another solenoid on the scrubber line that is opposite the other valve closing the co2 scrubber entirely.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t493/=16x9f57 this is the DC version of the solenoid that takes a 24V DC connection.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-resistant-kynar-y.html and the various sized tube adapters.

I believe they used the 3/8in since that is the most common size connector for the skimmer and also the size that the BRS scrubber uses

What are your thoughts on that set up?

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

Are you not at all worried about the product being made with brass (metal) and having the air run through it? Also, I know that ones that come out of China may not be regulated in the exact alloy that is being used.

From my other reading of this forum I found a group of people that bought a 3/8in push connect air solenoid that can be either AC or DC and either in always open or always closed positions (depending which you need more often). What that person did was use a Y adapter that connected to the skimmer intake. From one part of the Y it was connected to the CO2 scrubber. The other part was connected to the solenoid and a short tube that was just in the stand. The solenoid was always closed, unless energized. Because air follows the path of least resistance when the solenoid is closed, the air would draw through the scrubber. The solenoid was programmed to open if ph would hit let’s say 8.25, and again, since air flows theough less resistance, it would go through the short tube, bypassing the scrubber. This way you would also need only a single switchable outlet.

As a side note, the air may draw a little bit still from the scrubber, but that can be either adjusted by having the solenoid open a bit earlier, or placing another solenoid on the scrubber line that is opposite the other valve closing the co2 scrubber entirely.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t493/=16x9f57 this is the DC version of the solenoid that takes a 24V DC connection.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone-resistant-kynar-y.html and the various sized tube adapters.

I believe they used the 3/8in since that is the most common size connector for the skimmer and also the size that the BRS scrubber uses

What are your thoughts on that set up?

Not worried at all because the valve is not connected with water at all - its only air and the vacuum from the skimmers air intake will not be enough to transport metal particles. It has been run for 5 months now and Triton test does not show any funny figures.

Yes, it’s from China – as the most of my products. Let us say that I know that half of them are from China and with the one that I do not know where they come from – 50 % of the are probably from China too. :)

That’s the world today – everything from funny caps to good cell phones are from China today.

Yes, I think your construction will work too.

I could not find any solenoid here in Sweden that works without a minimum pressure. Hence my solution – and its around 1/3 of the prize compared with your choice. Inclusive the relay and socket.

And I do not think that you need 2 because it will not be much air leaking from the scrubber.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends have come over to help me mount some of my equipment so I can continue on swapping from Apex to GHL.

I first want to show the size difference between a Powerbar 5.1 and a EB832. I posted on another post how surprised I was and below shows the difference. We are in the process of swapping out the dosing from Apex to GHL.

Power_Bar vs EB832.jpeg

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Plan is to use Two Maxi.

One Maxi will be used for ATO and to empty my skimmer bucket based on a sensor inside the skimmer bucket.
The Second Maxi I am going to try on my calcium reactor.

I have purchased a Master and Slave:
maxi_here.jpg

I first have to say these are built like little tanks.
Maxi_1.jpg

What I did not expect was that the master comes with a Temperature probe connection on it also.
maxi_2.jpg

To show a size difference between a Maxi Doser and the GHL 2.1 Doser. (The GHL 2.1 Doser Below will be used for my KHD Setup)
Maxi Vs GHL doser.jpeg

maxi_mounted_home.jpg

I am a firm believer in redundancy, and even thou the Maxi's could be just plugged into standard sockets, I am going to be mounting them into a power bar for additional redundancy along with the KHD setup and the Doser for the Triton method.
mounting_Power_Bar4.jpg

At the same time as we are setting up the Maxi's we will be also getting the Triton method ready with plans to dose once he KHD is here.

Preparing for Triton.jpg

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the slave maxi doesn't have a temp port , but the sa one does? Your setup is crazy awesome

Edit - also why the stand alone instead of both slaves? Just in case? Thanks

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Plan is to use Two Maxi.

One Maxi will be used for ATO and to empty my skimmer bucket based on a sensor inside the skimmer bucket.
The Second Maxi I am going to try on my calcium reactor.

I have purchased a Master and Slave:
maxi_here.jpg

I first have to say these are built like little tanks.
Maxi_1.jpg

What I did not expect was that the master comes with a Temperature probe connection on it also.
maxi_2.jpg

To show a size difference between a Maxi Doser and the GHL 2.1 Doser. (They Doser Below will be used for my KHD Setup)
Maxi Vs GHL doser.jpeg

maxi_mounted_home.jpg

I am a firm believer in redundancy, and even thou the Maxi's could be just plugged into standard sockets, I am going to be mounting them into a power bar for additional redundancy along with the KHD setup and the Doser for the Triton method.
mounting_Power_Bar4.jpg

At the same time as we are getting setting up the Maxi's we will be also getting the Triton method ready and going also
Preparing for Triton.jpg

So one of the maxis will operate as a feed pump for the calrx?

I take it they’re rated for continual duty?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@swk There been conversations about that it may be able to do it. I wanted to at least try.

If it does not work it will then be switched to my salt water mixing station.

@WWIII thanks. I was not expecting the leveling port and the tempature probe at all. Was a nice surprise!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is awesome value to have a dual level port and temp sensor port on board!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the slave maxi doesn't have a temp port , but the sa one does? Your setup is crazy awesome

Edit - also why the stand alone instead of both slaves? Just in case? Thanks

Sorry forgot to answer your other question:

@WWIII to be honest I wanted to see how the stand alone worked, I beleive once I plug it into the P4 it becomes a slave but I wanted to play with it first as a master. I do agree having the level ports on it is great idea.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good, thanks for coming back to that! I'm glad that you did purchase the stand alone, because I had no idea about the temp port and level switches only being on the sa doser and not the slave. I now plan to order the sa, as I think those extras add value beyond the $50 extra cost. I actually thought the slave had a level switch port as well, but now see that's not the case. Had no idea about the temperature port.

Deep Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Everyone:

Thank everyone for the comments and Follows.

Always good to know where to find everything

Now we need some GHL Manuals:

ProFilux 4 Manual

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-4-manual/

ProFilux Programming Guide
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-4-programming-guide-v7-02/

Vortech-Controller Guide
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/vortech-controller-manual/

Programmable Logic Instructions

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/programmable-logic-instructions/

Seasonal Lighting Simulation
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/seasonal-lighting-simulation/

ProFilux Touch Manual
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-touch-manual/

Going to Need some software also

GHL Control Center V1.0.9.0
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/ghl-control-center-v1-0-9-0/

Software Download, Typical Zip file just double click on the zip file and then choose the application within, I had no issues on the install (I am on a Windows 10 PC)
Folder.jpg

Just started following as I have a new tank build in progress. This is great stuff. My question, can this only be purchased through aquariumcomputer?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back