Switching from a 14- to 30-gallon tank, but how?

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I’m switching from a 14- to 30-gallon tank! Current tank is about 2 years old, uses Real Reef Rock, live sand, and houses 2 clowns, a BTA, 3 RFA, and a variety of soft corals. I’ll be using more Real Reef Rock in the new tank.

What’s the best strategy for the switch?

1. Set up the new tank with new Real Reef Rock, new sand, new water, etc., fully cycle with the clownfish, and gradually transfer livestock when the cycle is complete?

2. Set up the new tank with existing and new rock, sand, and water (leaving other critters in the 14-g tank with just enough rock, sand, etc.), cycle with clownfish, and then transfer corals and inverts when cycle is complete?

3. Do everything at once and monitor closely? This seems like the fastest and easiest and riskiest!

Thanks very much for your help!
Josh

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everybody,

I’m switching from a 14- to 30-gallon tank! Current tank is about 2 years old, uses Real Reef Rock, live sand, and houses 2 clowns, a BTA, 3 RFA, and a variety of soft corals. I’ll be using more Real Reef Rock in the new tank.

What’s the best strategy for the switch?

1. Set up the new tank with new Real Reef Rock, new sand, new water, etc., fully cycle with the clownfish, and gradually transfer livestock when the cycle is complete?

2. Set up the new tank with existing and new rock, sand, and water (leaving other critters in the 14-g tank with just enough rock, sand, etc.), cycle with clownfish, and then transfer corals and inverts when cycle is complete?

3. Do everything at once and monitor closely? This seems like the fastest and easiest and riskiest!

Thanks very much for your help!
Josh
Do everything at once. Thats actually the safest and easiest. But part of the answer depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you not like your current rock, etc. IF you keep the bioload in the new tank the same - there should be no increased cycle.

NOTE - MANY PEOPLE WOULD SUGGEST USING NEW SAND IN THE NEW TANK (i.e - discard the old sand).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my 13.5 to a 40B, I filled the new tank with live sand, caribsea life rock, and new water. I then took all existing rock and coral from the fluval and moved it over, as well as all fish and inverts. I also put a bit of sand (until I realized how much of a pain that was) and water from the fluval. No die off except some snails.

OP
OP
J

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do everything at once. Thats actually the safest and easiest. But part of the answer depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you not like your current rock, etc. IF you keep the bioload in the new tank the same - there should be no increased cycle.

NOTE - MANY PEOPLE WOULD SUGGEST USING NEW SAND IN THE NEW TANK (i.e - discard the old sand).
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense about the bioload. I'm keeping all the rock (it's expensive!), but undecided about sands. Seems like a messy pain to transfer!

OP
OP
J

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my 13.5 to a 40B, I filled the new tank with live sand, caribsea life rock, and new water. I then took all existing rock and coral from the fluval and moved it over, as well as all fish and inverts. I also put a bit of sand (until I realized how much of a pain that was) and water from the fluval. No die off except some snails.
Thanks...going to do a similar transfer. Can't decide about the sand. It does seem like a huge, messy, pain!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As to the sand - when I did this 'project' - with a 55 --> 100 gallon tank, I rinsed the sand kept about1/3 - and used new. If you search the forums - there are LOTS of anecdotal reports of people having major die-offs when trying to transfer sand. There are also many posts suggesting rinsing in freshwater is ok - vs saltwater, etc etc. IMHO - since sand is 'cheap' - just get new and toss the old.

OP
OP
J

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the sand - when I did this 'project' - with a 55 --> 100 gallon tank, I rinsed the sand kept about1/3 - and used new. If you search the forums - there are LOTS of anecdotal reports of people having major die-offs when trying to transfer sand. There are also many posts suggesting rinsing in freshwater is ok - vs saltwater, etc etc. IMHO - since sand is 'cheap' - just get new and toss the old.
Sound advice. Thanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I rinsed sand in fresh water and it was fine. I have done several complete transfers both directions ( small to bigger and big to smaller). When I do it I place the sand in first then just enough old water to submerge it. Then I do the rock and create the aquascape while I can see it. Last I put a dinner plate in tank and add the water using the dinner plate as a deflector so the sand is not overly stirred up. Last I move the livestock over.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back