Switching from Copper sulfate to Copper power. is it ok to do?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chemist so figured I'd ask
got a response email from my supplier and they said that all fish is kept under observation in Copper Sulfate at 1.025 and also hypo salinity of 1.020 for 7 days as well as shipped in that water.
I setup a QT and its cycled with no meds at the moment.
If I decide to continue the copper treatment upon arrival, I would do 14 days of copper power at 2.5 starting at 1 and raising over 3 days with QT transfer at 14 days.

the question is it ok to transfer from one copper to another like that. still debating if I should skip copper and keep an eye on the critters
fish:
diamond goby
yellow watchman
fire fish
2 clowns

thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferring from one copper to another poses no exceptional risk. However, you must manage that salinity - match your tank to the specific gravity the fish will be shipped in, don't try to acclimate them up to full from that. Just an FYI - a SG of 1.020 isn't hypo, it is more of just a "tonic". My guess is they may also not be running full copper either. I see that a lot with dealers and I don't understand it - people running partial therapies. Go all in or nothing (grin).

Jay

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferring from one copper to another poses no exceptional risk. However, you must manage that salinity - match your tank to the specific gravity the fish will be shipped in, don't try to acclimate them up to full from that. Just an FYI - a SG of 1.020 isn't hypo, it is more of just a "tonic". My guess is they may also not be running full copper either. I see that a lot with dealers and I don't understand it - people running partial therapies. Go all in or nothing (grin).

Jay
I think some of them use a partial dose because they think it surpresses disease enough before they sell. The bad part is, if the customer doesn't know that and just pour the fish into their DT they now have copper in there.

OP
OP
daybreaksky

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of them use a partial dose because they think it surpresses disease enough before they sell. The bad part is, if the customer doesn't know that and just pour the fish into their DT they now have copper in there.

I'm getting this from wholesale so it won't generally go to a consumer display. However my local store as I found out runs copper at full dose in all their tanks along with sg 1.018 which is a new practice. they won't sell fish until it eats and copper keeps parasites from jumping fish to fish.
Besides, if anyone is dumping their bag water in to their display should rethink their procedures :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back