Switching from LED back to T5/MH: advice for 6'Lx3'wx27"d tank

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully I have many options because my canopy is large and light spill over not an issue!
Take your time and you will figure out the best way to do it.
In regards to changing bulbs, many forget that changing bulbs depends on how many hours a day you have them on. I change T5s every 12 months and halides will last much longer when I use them with T5s, because their hours are much reduced. It all depends.
Have fun with your new built.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change your bulbs? I used to change mine every year like clockwork but now reading that they probably last longer.
T5 only, and they run about 9 hours a day. I'm the same as you with changing them. Used to do it every 12 months. Now I'm stretching it out, to maybe 14 months? To my eyes, the Blue+ bulbs start to get less blue eventually, and they tank will look more white.

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I just purchased three 60" T5 retrofit kits from BRS during the black Friday sale for my 72 inch 180 gallon tank. Got the bulbs for $25ish each. Trying to determine if the T5 will be sufficient or if I need to supplement. Going for mixed tank with easy SPS. Love this thread!

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I just purchased three 60" T5 retrofit kits from BRS during the black Friday sale for my 72 inch 180 gallon tank. Got the bulbs for $25ish each. Trying to determine if the T5 will be sufficient or if I need to supplement. Going for mixed tank with easy SPS. Love this thread!
Glad the thread is helpful! Ive had incredible success using only T5 on many thanks over the years. They are tried and true!

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide on 250w Halide, or HQI, then be SURE and use the right terms in your future posts to get the right help. It sucks that HQI had 250w put on the front of them when they are not 250w, but that is what we have to live with. :(

MD says these are in stock and ships direct from Hamilton. What do you think about three of these?

Hamilton Cayman Sun Pendant 250 Watt DE HQI 14K System for $329 with magnetic HQI ballast?

Or is the magnetic HQI ballast not as good as the M80?

I'm suspect that these are actually in stock. Seems really hard to find anything in stock right now...

I just got an email from Hamilton and they said the Cozumel will be back in stock in March. Said they had an HUGE unexpected order that cleared them out.

Maybe I should just wait until March and get 3 cozumel running Radiums?

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic HQI ballast should be m80. Hamilton knows what they are doing and sells the m80 as HQI.

The Cayman offers a good blend of spread and punch. This is a good choice for your application.

The 14k bulb that comes with these is nice. I would use it for the first iteration on a new tank, but look to the 14k Phoenix when you need a replacement - it is an upgrade, IMO.

The folks at Hamilton are actually helpful if you have specific questions and need help. I have called them and got great care, and I have recommended others to call them as well.

What was crazy is that most HQI stuff was out of stock for most of 2017. Hamilton, and others, were not ready for the demand of MH again. This is when Hamilton started to produce more stock and developed new MH bulbs, ReefBrite and Giesemann introduced new MH products like dual arc bulbs, new lines of bulbs, etc. Most of the stuff at Hamilton has been in stock lately. The Hamilton website shows them in stock too.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic HQI ballast should be m80. Hamilton knows what they are doing and sells the m80 as HQI.

The Cayman offers a good blend of spread and punch. This is a good choice for your application.

The 14k bulb that comes with these is nice. I would use it for the first iteration on a new tank, but look to the 14k Phoenix when you need a replacement - it is an upgrade, IMO.

The folks at Hamilton are actually helpful if you have specific questions and need help. I have called them and got great care, and I have recommended others to call them as well.

What was crazy is that most HQI stuff was out of stock for most of 2017. Hamilton, and others, were not ready for the demand of MH again. This is when Hamilton started to produce more stock and developed new MH bulbs, ReefBrite and Giesemann introduced new MH products like dual arc bulbs, new lines of bulbs, etc. Most of the stuff at Hamilton has been in stock lately. The Hamilton website shows them in stock too.

Thanks! I just emailed Dave back at hamilton with a couple Qs for my specific setup.

Hopefully the increasing demand gives them confidence to continue manufacturing and not fall victim to the LEDs.

I briefly checked my attic for my old system but couldn't find it. Pretty sure it was a Bali Sun or equivalent reflector. Its "possible" I threw it away two years during spring cleaning assuming I'd never use MH again and that it was worthless....... :rolleyes:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For future reference, is this the m80 true HQI ballast that the Radiums should be ran with?

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to the reps at CoralVue during Reefstock (March 2020?) about the Giesemann Infiniti. Apparently you can still order it thru them. Also my lfs says they can order it as well. You should try to get in touch with the guys at Coralvue if you want a Giesemann.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to the reps at CoralVue during Reefstock (March 2020?) about the Giesemann Infiniti. Apparently you can still order it thru them. Also my lfs says they can order it as well. You should try to get in touch with the guys at Coralvue if you want a Giesemann.
Thanks for the info! I'll give CoralVue a call Monday.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda @A. grandis
I have a local reefer that will sell me a Lumen Bright mini w/ new 250w radium 20k bulb and a galaxy selectable ballast from Sunlight supply. It's mogul base though. He will sell all for $75. I'd still need to find 2 more which is prefer be DE. Does it make that much of a difference? One bulb easier to source or both equally easy?

Should I pick this up as a start?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda @A. grandis
I have a local reefer that will sell me a Lumen Bright mini w/ new 250w radium 20k bulb and a galaxy selectable ballast from Sunlight supply. It's mogul base though. He will sell all for $75. I'd still need to find 2 more which is prefer be DE. Does it make that much of a difference? One bulb easier to source or both equally easy?

Should I pick this up as a start?
$75.00? Depends on the condition of those fixtures and ballasts. For that price it is most likely for the reflector, not the pendant with the ballast and bulb. Anyways...
Well, I think that if you prefer DE bulbs you should stick with your plan.
I'm not in a position to decide that for you.
The Lumen Bright minis are designed to focus the light under it, as a beam (designed for maximum light penetration), and it's spread isn't as open as other fixtures can offer. Many different fixtures are made for different applications. You would need to raise the fixtures to get some spread. To get 2 more of those just to take that from the local reefer's hands isn't worthy IMO. You would have to get 2 more to match and then you would be thinking of those DE that you wanted in the first place. Get what you wish and let those deals go by.
I love Radiums! Well, I love most halide bulbs!!! LOL!

1609879108726.png

Above is the lumen Bright mini reflector

1609879159946.png

Above is the Lumen Bright mini pendant.

Let's wait for Mr. @jda to post some more good info. He loves DE bulbs too.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$75.00? Depends on the condition of those fixtures and ballasts. For that price it is most likely for the reflector, not the pendant with the ballast and bulb. Anyways...
Well, I think that if you prefer DE bulbs you should stick with your plan.
I'm not in a position to decide that for you.
The Lumen Bright minis are designed to focus the light under it, as a beam (designed for maximum light penetration), and it's spread isn't as open as other fixtures can offer. Many different fixtures are made for different applications. You would need to raise the fixtures to get some spread. To get 2 more of those just to take that from the local reefer's hands isn't worthy IMO. You would have to get 2 more to match and then you would be thinking of those DE that you wanted in the first place. Get what you wish and let those deals go by.
I love Radiums! Well, I love most halide bulbs!!! LOL!

1609879108726.png

Above is the lumen Bright mini reflector

1609879159946.png

Above is the Lumen Bright mini pendant.

Thanks for the info. Everything appears in great condition and the bulb is unused. It includes the reflector, fixture, ballast and bulb. He just wants to get rid of it.

Ultimately I don't care about the $75 and may just pick it up to get a halide going on part of the tank and continue searching for a DE cozumel or cayman 250w!

What would you recommend as the "best" 250 w pendant bulb combo if mounted so bulb is 14" above water and you want par in the sand 41" below and spread about 2.5' total below it to sustain say a clam?

Screenshot_20210105-134421.png

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave at Hamilton just got back to me and they have Cayman 250w DE in stock with ballasts.

Is there a significant difference between the Cayman and Cozumel? He elaborated on they Cozumel out of stock situation: the huge order was from multiple public aquariums and unexpected. They won't have cozumel in stock until March.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave at Hamilton just got back to me and they have Cayman 250w DE in stock with ballasts.

Is there a significant difference between the Cayman and Cozumel? He elaborated on they Cozumel out of stock situation: the huge order was from multiple public aquariums and unexpected. They won't have cozumel in stock until March.
The Cozumel won't have the DE option.
With the Cayman Sun, featuring DE bulbs, you will have a bit more punch with the HQI ballast for the 27" deep tank.
Great option and you won't have to wait.
Many people will be jealous of your tank after those corals start to show their colors and great growth!

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cozumel won't have the DE option.
With the Cayman Sun, featuring DE bulbs, you will have a bit more punch with the HQI ballast for the 27" deep tank.
Great option and you won't have to wait.
Many people will be jealous of your tank after those corals start to show their colors and great growth!
Thanks!
Just about to place the order. Is there any appreciable difference between DE and SE? Or is it more 6 of one, half dozen the other? I've read so many threads that it seems like its just personal preference.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run Radium, then it's mogul. And Phoenix is only DE.
That makes it simple. Trying to catch up on MH tech in a crash course is challenging. Lots of discussion in recent years mentioning XYZ is being discontinued etc.

Back in the day I used 10k giesemann bulbs and didn't really think about anything else. Plug play and grow!

I'm leaning towards 10k hamilton or 14k phoenix and I'll use my $4500 worth of LED fixtures blue if needed...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back