Switching from Prazipro to General Cure mid-treatment

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been observing flashing in my tank for a while with no other signs of disease. I've done a freshwater dip with no sign of flukes, and the flashing persists. I decided to do a couple rounds of Prazi 9 days ago and it's time for a second dose. This is the first time I've used Prazipro and the amount of foam that it creates is surprising. My skimmer (cup removed) is still going crazy 9 days later. My sump is a mess.

My question is can I switch from Prazipro to General Cure for my second round of prazi? I'd really like to avoid the foaming and clean my sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prazi treats flukes and other internal issues whereas GC treats an array of ailments
Instead of GC, you can use ruby rally pro which is a broad treatment
Generally flashing suggests a parasitical irritant. With nothing visible, Rubbing against objects within your tank does not necessarily mean ick. Fish will do this as a way of dislodging food from rocks within your tank. Without obvious signs of an irritant I don't think its ick
I would think also, that it depends on how often they are doing it.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi lasts about 24-48 hours in your tank, hence the reason why no water change between doses. All fish flash for various reasons, there is a difference between persistent and intermittent flashing. Is there a reason you're wanting to go to GC? IMO, therapeutic copper is the best place to start with any fish in QT, with FW dips as needed until Prazi would/need to be performed. Also, when I do use GC, I use with a binder and feed it out with food as it's much more effective when ingested and you're not concerned about mixing of meds.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you're wanting to go to GC?
I was wanting to switch ecause of the foaming that prazipro produces. I was running my skimmer with the cup off and it was causing a mess in the sump. I decided against switching to GC and just did a second dose of prazipro today. I turned the skimmer off for 6 hours and just turned it back on. Instead of running without the cup, I’ve removed the drain plug and I’m running straight back into the sump. I assume this will not remove the prazipro from the water.

My fish seem healthy. They’re eating well and loony well - they just flash occasionally. Maybe I just need to chill out and not worry about them so much. All of the fish came from TSM and were treated with copper and prazi (and something else I think) before I bought them.

Betta4673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been observing flashing in my tank for a while with no other signs of disease. I've done a freshwater dip with no sign of flukes, and the flashing persists. I decided to do a couple rounds of Prazi 9 days ago and it's time for a second dose. This is the first time I've used Prazipro and the amount of foam that it creates is surprising. My skimmer (cup removed) is still going crazy 9 days later. My sump is a mess.

My question is can I switch from Prazipro to General Cure for my second round of prazi? I'd really like to avoid the foaming and clean my sump.
I was advised by Hikari not to dose prazi in the tank but in a bucket of water conditioned with ultimate a non sulfar conditioner and use that bucket of water when doing water changes. They said to wait three days after dosing if switching treatments but no other treatment with prazi included aquarium salt

Betta4673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hikari dad vises not to dose directly in tank but use a five gallon bucket of water and dose that and do your water changes from there. I got a bucket from home depot that has gallon measurements on the side. Also they advised if switching meds wait three days after last using prazi to start another treatment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back