Switching from red sea alkalinity powder to baking soda

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using redsea for alkalinity always dissolve 200 gram in 2 liter of rodi to make solution each 1ml raise up kh 0.034 dkh/100 liter
I am dosing about 84mL each day to my 180 liter tank

Now i want to switch to baking soda i bought food grade baking soda i am planning to heat it in oven for 1 hour to making sodium carbonate instead of sodium bi carbonate then i will dissolve it the same way i take 200 gram in 2 litter to make the same solution .. is that right ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using redsea for alkalinity always dissolve 200 gram in 2 liter of rodi to make solution each 1ml raise up kh 0.034 dkh/100 liter
I am dosing about 84mL each day to my 180 liter tank

Now i want to switch to baking soda i bought food grade baking soda i am planning to heat it in oven for 1 hour to making sodium carbonate instead of sodium bi carbonate then i will dissolve it the same way i take 200 gram in 2 litter to make the same solution .. is that right ?
I do not believe that it is correct - if its the product I'm aware of - Seachem alkalinity does not only contain Sodium Carbonate.

I would do the standard test to determine how much alkalinity your tank requires -

1. Check Alkalinity Day 0. (Lets say it's 10)
2. Check Alkalinity Day 3. (Lets say its 7)
3. PS - DO NOT DOSE ALKALINITY BETWEEN DAY 0 and 3)
4. Check the alkalinity at the same time of the day

Now you know how much alkalinity your tank uses in 3 days. Divide by 3days - In this example, the tank uses about 1 dKh/Day - use the calculator in the link below - to determine how much to Na Carbonate to dose/day.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice calculator!! - I don't see the Red-Sea Alkalinity listed though?
You have to select the specific product from the drop down menu.

Screenshot_20211120-133835_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211120-133838_Chrome.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - another issue here - is borate vs carbonate alkalinity. The buffer you are using - I believe might contain borate. I would 'start over' - with the test I mentioned - you can also get an alkalinity test - that tests both carbonate - and borate alkalinity

OP
OP
Gogo007

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - another issue here - is borate vs carbonate alkalinity. The buffer you are using - I believe might contain borate. I would 'start over' - with the test I mentioned - you can also get an alkalinity test - that tests both carbonate - and borate alkalinity
I do have alkalinity test and i am testing daily i already prepared the solution and started to dose it i will keep testing and see if there are difference i will keep you all posted

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the calculator says powder for any product, that is before dissolving it in any liquid.

If you want to compare it to baking soda, elect the dry powder you are using and dry baking soda in the calculator.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back