Switching from Red Sea Blue Salt to Fritz RPM Blue Salt.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While using RS blue I dosed the ABCD Colors elements. Just bought a 200gal box and was wondering if I still need to dose the RS ABCD elements. Tank is a mix or sps/lps with a heavy dominance on sps.

Also while there I picked up a bottle of Fritz Zyme 460. Is it safe to use with RS NoPOX, the same thing or something else? Looks to be spores of bacteria rather than food for bacteria like NoPoX is.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use the salt you are going to switch to, make the switch and run a test on your water a week later. Icp test is the best to give you an idea what is lacking. Dosing the Red Sea elements without knowing your numbers will spell disaster. Iodine in the kit is one of those elements that can be overdosed so easy and will wipe out a tank so fast.
I don’t see any problems with using nopox, the salt, and Red Sea elements. Again test for everything you add
Nopox test for nitrate and phosphate don’t let it go too low or Dino’s will show up

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use the salt you are going to switch to, make the switch and run a test on your water a week later. Icp test is the best to give you an idea what is lacking. Dosing the Red Sea elements without knowing your numbers will spell disaster. Iodine in the kit is one of those elements that can be overdosed so easy and will wipe out a tank so fast.
I don’t see any problems with using nopox, the salt, and Red Sea elements. Again test for everything you add
Nopox test for nitrate and phosphate don’t let it go too low or Dino’s will show up

Appreciate the reply but testing is not an issue for me but better to ask then be sorry. I haven’t actually switched salt brands in over 7 years.

5AA99E5B-B960-4A56-A697-689DC38E8DD5.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have switched salt mixes numerous times. If the pwc is only 10-15% i have not noticed a change in my dosing percentages. This maybe different with some hi alk mixes as i have never used a salt that tested higher than 9.5-9.8 dkh(dd h2ocean and omgea one). I believe both salts are similar that you want to use. That the difference in after a water change is most likely to be minimal. Ime anyway. Fwiw if LA salt is just rebranded fritz, my current LA sits at about 7.8 after i let stand for 24 hours.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using RPM for around 4 years and have been very very happy , blue box always mixes up to around 8.1 - 8.4 dkh for me so I buffer it up to my 9 dkh that i run , 5ml of aquavitro 8.4 in 32 gallons gives me 8.9 - 9.0 , I ran this salt with no water changes for 4 years , dosing brightwell A/B. Alot of experienced people I know run that salt exclusively. Its great for SPS keepers .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While using RS blue I dosed the ABCD Colors elements. Just bought a 200gal box and was wondering if I still need to dose the RS ABCD elements. Tank is a mix or sps/lps with a heavy dominance on sps.

Also while there I picked up a bottle of Fritz Zyme 460. Is it safe to use with RS NoPOX, the same thing or something else? Looks to be spores of bacteria rather than food for bacteria like NoPoX is.

There’s no salt mix that can replace the need for trace elements unless you do massive water changes weekly because some are depleted very fast.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back