Switching salt mix/ killing GSPs

Espawna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO reef crystals and RODI water for my water changes since I inherited a 29gal nano cube. It was a fish only/ live rock system for years. I introduced a GSP frag and zoa frag, both turned pale and died. Upgraded lighting and power head, did 40 percent water change. Tried another GSP, it died as well. Waited a few weeks and tried another, I'm at a little over a week now and it's turning pale and doing the same thing. I've tested my water and brought to LFS multiple times, water has enough nutrients but is way high in calcium 600+. I tested the new water before adding to my tank yesterday and it was 580ppm at a SG of 1.026 (salifert). My LFS recommended to bring it down with water changes, should I switch to another salt since this one seems rather high in calcium? I was looking at red sea coral pro salt and thinking of doing 10-15%water changes twice a week to bring levels down and hopefully be able to keep a GSP alive. All my fish and inverts are doing well.

Water parameters:
78F
1.025 SG (Milwaukee digital)
Nitrate: 20PPM (salifert)
Phosphate: 0.1PPM (Salifert)
Alkalinity: 10dKh (salifert)
Calcium: ~660 PPM (Salifert)
Magnesium: 1350 (Salifert)

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO reef crystals and RODI water for my water changes since I inherited a 29gal nano cube. It was a fish only/ live rock system for years. I introduced a GSP frag and zoa frag, both turned pale and died. Upgraded lighting and power head, did 40 percent water change. Tried another GSP, it died as well. Waited a few weeks and tried another, I'm at a little over a week now and it's turning pale and doing the same thing. I've tested my water and brought to LFS multiple times, water has enough nutrients but is way high in calcium 600+. I tested the new water before adding to my tank yesterday and it was 580ppm at a SG of 1.026 (salifert). My LFS recommended to bring it down with water changes, should I switch to another salt since this one seems rather high in calcium? I was looking at red sea coral pro salt and thinking of doing 10-15%water changes twice a week to bring levels down and hopefully be able to keep a GSP alive. All my fish and inverts are doing well.

Water parameters:
78F
1.025 SG (Milwaukee digital)
Nitrate: 20PPM (salifert)
Phosphate: 0.1PPM (Salifert)
Alkalinity: 10dKh (salifert)
Calcium: ~660 PPM (Salifert)
Magnesium: 1350 (Salifert)
Dont think high calcium is going to be your issue. What kind of lights are your using and at what settings and light period?

OP
OP
E

Espawna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far about your water is the light mounted? How high in the tank was the GSP placed?
Haven't measured, I just used the arm that came with it. My guess is between 8-10".GSP was about 6" from water surface so relatively close to the top. I have a light diffuser on the fixture and a net on the tank but figured that wouldn't affect the light output by much.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't measured, I just used the arm that came with it. My guess is between 8-10".GSP was about 6" from water surface so relatively close to the top. I have a light diffuser on the fixture and a net on the tank but figured that wouldn't affect the light output by much.
I would drop it to the sandbed, same with Zoa if you get another. Your par at the top of your tank is going to be too high for softies.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested an AI Hydra a few months ago and was unimpressed with its output. I doubt if a prime could bake GSP.

Anytime I see wacky numbers like 600+ calcium i want to get to the bottom of it. We are either dosing wrong, not reading test kits right, or have a bad test kit/calibration. Ive been reefing long enough to run into a couple bad batches of salt (high alk) but its very rare.

I would really like to get to the bottom of the 600 calcium first. If its off, then something else might be as well.

OP
OP
E

Espawna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested an AI Hydra a few months ago and was unimpressed with its output. I doubt if a prime could bake GSP.

Anytime I see wacky numbers like 600+ calcium i want to get to the bottom of it. We are either dosing wrong, not reading test kits right, or have a bad test kit/calibration. Ive been reefing long enough to run into a couple bad batches of salt (high alk) but its very rare.

I would really like to get to the bottom of the 600 calcium first. If its off, then something else might be as well.
This is what the LFS suspects. I thought I was reading my tests wrong as well but have taken two samples weeks apart to them to test and their results have lined up with mine. My main question is would changing to the red sea salt and doing 10-15% water changes twice a week help stabilize or bring down that high calcium? I've kept reef tanks before but never ran into issues keeping GSPs so it's quite frustrating.

Back