Switching Salts? Red Sea Salt vs Brightwell Neomarine

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by shawnriv, Mar 6, 2018.

1. shawnriv

shawnriv Member

Hello Everyone!

I've been using Red Sea Salt (light blue bucket) for the past year and half and was thinking of trying something new. My tank is mainly SPS dominant with frags to small colonies of Acropora. I was talking to the staff at World Wide Corals and they swear by Brightwell Neomarine salt; which I trust their opinion since I personally have never seen Acropora farms with such success.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced changing from Red Sea to Brightwell salt.

Thanks!

2. Scorpius

Scorpius Valuable Member

Switch to ESV salt. I've been on it since 2013. Lots of Acro's. Stuff mixes clear in under 15mins with zero residue. Alkalinity around 8-9 dkh with calcium around 450.

mta_morrow likes this.
  3. jda

jda Valuable Member

What are you looking to get out of it? It is most likely that nothing changes.

Don't switch just because of alk - you can lower than quite easily with Muratic Acid.

4. shawnriv

shawnriv Member

My alkalinity hovers around 7.7 dKH. ESV is a great brand - I use their two part. Although I just did a quick Google search and their salt is more expensive than Red Sea's. I'd like to pay around the same if not less.

I'm looking for better coloration and faster growth. Every time I see WWC's I'm stunned. I know salts are from and made differently, but just didn't know how much different Red Sea would be to Brightwell.

5. Literallyhydro

Literallyhydro Active Member

Funny, WWC actually recommends I run Instant Ocean and dosing the CA and ALK up to a certain point. They do recommend I use brightwell for almost everything else though. While I'm sure the Instant Ocean would work for me, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of having to dose up my numbers all the time. I switched from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro because the CA was too high on Reef Crystals.

There are so many very successful people running Coral Pro, that if your corals have good color and growth, I wouldn't worry about switching over.

6. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

FWIW I started with Brightwell. It has been very consistent for years and mixes very quickly and leaves minimal if any residue.

Literallyhydro likes this.
  7. jda

jda Valuable Member

I do not think much. Most of the best hobbyist tanks just use Instant Ocean - most of these tanks are better than WWC. I doubt that the salt will help you much.

8. Scorpius

Scorpius Valuable Member

It is pricey, but cheap in comparison in what I spend on Acropora. lol. For me my coral are happy so I won't change unless the price sky rockets.

9. Literallyhydro

Literallyhydro Active Member

Do you have any past experience with Red Sea? I haven't seen many people discuss Brightwell salt. It's also readily available and roughly the same price for me. I don't have any immediate plans to switch, but it's interesting.

10. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

No I don’t. Only Brightwell for my 3 years of reefing. I can only comment on consistency and ease of mixing. Sorry.

11. Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch Glad to be back! R2R Supporter

What parameters does your brightwell mix to?

Draft saved Draft deleted