Switching salts. Tropic Marin Classic To Instant Ocean Concerns. Alkalinity?

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

So I am thinking heavily about switching to instant ocean from tropic marin classic. I have a frag tank that only grows zoanthids, and that is what I would be using it on. The tropic marin classic mixes to 8.6 DKH for me every single time. I have read that instant ocean is 10-11 DKH. This is quite high. I do not run a low nutrient system. My phosphates I try to keep around .06-.10. I try to keep my nitrates at 5-10 or so. My main issue I guess is well ive never really run a tank at a high dkh like that before. Would it really be that big of a deal to switch from the classic to instant ocean? I know that I can lower the alk of the instant ocean with various acids. However I do not want to do that. I just want to mix the salt. Store it, and use it. What do you guys think?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

So I am thinking heavily about switching to instant ocean from tropic marin classic. I have a frag tank that only grows zoanthids, and that is what I would be using it on. The tropic marin classic mixes to 8.6 DKH for me every single time. I have read that instant ocean is 10-11 DKH. This is quite high. I do not run a low nutrient system. My phosphates I try to keep around .06-.10. I try to keep my nitrates at 5-10 or so. My main issue I guess is well ive never really run a tank at a high dkh like that before. Would it really be that big of a deal to switch from the classic to instant ocean? I know that I can lower the alk of the instant ocean with various acids. However I do not want to do that. I just want to mix the salt. Store it, and use it. What do you guys think?

By not running a ULNS and not carbon dosing you'll be fine at 10.5 dKH

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back