Switching salts

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently switched from Instant Ocean (love the cost but hate how inconsistent it was) and switched over to Brightwell salt. I just did my first water change today with it, about 10-15% of my total water volume (120 gal display with a 20 gal sump). I dont have a ton of coral in the tank but here are my first impressions:

1. Has a very distant smell when mixing, like a sulfur smell, but did not bother me
2. Mixes very clear after 24 hrs (as per mixing instructions) and did not notice anything on the bottom of the mixing containter
3. Did introduce a faint hazy in the water after water change, now almost gone after about 2 hours.

Will update again in a month or 2 and let everyone know how this goes

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently switched from Instant Ocean (love the cost but hate how inconsistent it was) and switched over to Brightwell salt. I just did my first water change today with it, about 10-15% of my total water volume (120 gal display with a 20 gal sump). I dont have a ton of coral in the tank but here are my first impressions:

1. Has a very distant smell when mixing, like a sulfur smell, but did not bother me
2. Mixes very clear after 24 hrs (as per mixing instructions) and did not notice anything on the bottom of the mixing containter
3. Did introduce a faint hazy in the water after water change, now almost gone after about 2 hours.

Will update again in a month or 2 and let everyone know how this goes
What made you decide on brightwell over other brands?

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you decide on brightwell over other brands?

Partly price, not Tropic pricing but also IO pricing. Seems to always be in stock, and like the parameters on it. Also, seems to be a cleaner mixing salt

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it works out and if you notice any changes in your tank from the switch. I switched from IO to Fritz blue bucket for similar reasons maybe 8 months or a year ago. Not too expensive, but mixes clear fast, which has saved me once during an "unexpected" water change when I didn't have much mixed saltwater on hand. Was able to mix what I needed and add to the tank in less than an hour with no I'll effects. It also has s bit if a different smell than IO. Not sure how to describe it, but not bad.

I picked Fritz because I know a store owner that was nice enough to trade a bunch of buckets of it to me for some coral frags. I've liked it alot though.

TaiN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to hw from using IO for about a year. IO did the job for an sps tank but it took a little longer to mix and left a brown residue on the bottom of the mixing container.

Back