Switching tanks! Need some advice!

ilpazzoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Hope everyone’s doing well! Still really new to the hobby and after weeks of research, I took the plunge!!!
I went with a new 40 gallon tank, and a new stand. Here is what I got: an aquaclear 110 for filtration and a Hydor Koralia 565 gph wave pump. I have 40 lbs of live sand and about 30 lbs of live rock. A coralife t5 dual lamp for lighting. My plan is house some soft corals and LPS with some fish.

My question is.. did I miss anything??? Should I add another wave pump or a HOB refugium? I appreciate any help and all the advice I can get!

Thank you!!! [emoji2]

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An HOB refugium could be beneficial and you can look into that, but I would definitely add more flow to that tank. I ran a 1950gph powerhead in my 36 gallon tank and it seemed about right.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also run a skimmer on the tank and reef octopus skimmer are nice and I ran a reef octopus bh90 hob skimmer on my tank when I had a tank that size and you should have more live rock also because you should have atleast 40 pounds if not 45 pounds in a 40 gallon tank

OP
OP
ilpazzoo

ilpazzoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An HOB refugium could be beneficial and you can look into that, but I would definitely add more flow to that tank. I ran a 1950gph powerhead in my 36 gallon tank and it seemed about right.

Thank you! I was thinking of adding a second powerhead and putting them on a controller to alternate every few minutes or so. Was the 1950 powerhead loud?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I was thinking of adding a second powerhead and putting them on a controller to alternate every few minutes or so. Was the 1950 powerhead loud?

My Hydor Koralia 3rd gen was pretty quiet, unless you made the mistake of trying to lift it out of the water before unplugging it (although then you were more surprised by the sudden saltwater bath you were having to endure). :D

OP
OP
ilpazzoo

ilpazzoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hydor Koralia 3rd gen was pretty quiet, unless you made the mistake of trying to lift it out of the water before unplugging it (although then you were more surprised by the sudden saltwater bath you were having to endure). :D

:D so i decided to get another 1350 gph Koralia Powerhead. i did end up getting the controller but haven't set it up just yet. my question would be is there an incorrect way to place the powerheads? as of right now i have the 1350 shooting down the back side of the tank and the smaller 565gph running down the front. would there be a better way to positon them in the tank?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D so i decided to get another 1350 gph Koralia Powerhead. i did end up getting the controller but haven't set it up just yet. my question would be is there an incorrect way to place the powerheads? as of right now i have the 1350 shooting down the back side of the tank and the smaller 565gph running down the front. would there be a better way to positon them in the tank?

There are different methods, but personally I recommend putting them both in central locations on the back of the tank. To me it just provides the best flow. Also, make sure you use the wideflow cap on the Koralia as that will give you the best dispersal and intensity instead of the others which will focus the water flow to the point where it is ridiculous.

OP
OP
ilpazzoo

ilpazzoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different methods, but personally I recommend putting them both in central locations on the back of the tank. To me it just provides the best flow. Also, make sure you use the wideflow cap on the Koralia as that will give you the best dispersal and intensity instead of the others which will focus the water flow to the point where it is ridiculous.

i dont have the 3rd gen powerhead so im assuming thats why i dont have the option of the cap! ill give putting them both on the back of tank and aiming them and see how that goes. thanks!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have the 3rd gen powerhead so im assuming thats why i dont have the option of the cap! ill give putting them both on the back of tank and aiming them and see how that goes. thanks!

Hmm, both of my 3rd gens came with 3 different heads/caps on them. Not sure if they only do that for the larger models or what but both my 1950 and 2450 came with 3 flow heads/caps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back