Swollen belly on Stonogobiops nematodes

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many common names for this guy. I go with High Fin Red Banded Goby.

This was my first marine fish and is still my favorite. It's been almost a year since I got it. "Mr. Gobes" I'm am curious if this looks to be a problem like constipation or if "Mr." might be "Miss" and is egg laden? The swelling is right around the anus much like our guppies when they are about to birth. The lump and markings from it are perfectly symmetrical from side to side.

Swimming fine.

Eats well, if it cant get a piece due to competition, I'll target feed two NLS pellets or a mysis shrimp. It lives with an a. Randalli so I like to make sure the fish can eat and do it's job.

Parameters:
7.9 dKH
1.0264 d SG
.1 ppm PO4
5 ppm NO3
0 NO2-
0 NH3
435 Ca
1425 Mg
8.1 PH

No new additions since my 78 day crypto eradication process

Sorry for the pic quality. It's fast and a bit reclusive so I had to take a video and just grab screen shots.

If it is useful I'll upload the vid to YouTube and post a link.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's a few possibilities for what you are seeing. Could be rectal prolapse, an abscess, tumor, or eggs. There's not a lot you can do for any of them. Eggs will be expelled or absorbed into the body; rectal prolapse and abscess can be helped with good variety of foods with vitamins and great water quality; tumors not much you can do. Here's a link with a few pics to help you perhaps on what you are seeing:

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Gobes has been MIA since around the 24th. I wasn't too worried at first as the entrances had filled in some. It disappears for several days at a time every now and then. Last night the shrimp was halfway out, cleaning house and the goby was not present. This has not been the case since they met.

How long would you (anyone with experience) give before writing him off and looking for a new goby?

Hopefully this post is needless and Mr. Gobes will be out and about soon, but I have a feeling not...

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it’s gone. I just scanned through a 30 minute video on the tunnel entrances and only saw the shrimp peek out of both. On the bright side I’d imagine it’s keeping the shrimp fed for a good bit, continuing its purpose. It just bugs me not knowing what happened.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back