Synaptula hydriformis, Medusa worm invasion

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just recently restarted my 300 gallon tank. I have live rock back from the days when you could actually get live rock. I do not think these critters came in on the rock itself though. Mainly because the tank set fallow for years….. Anyhow there in the tank now. I was just worried about this chemical they release when attacked.

Will This chemical disturb the corals? Or is it just poisonous to fish and other inverts?
btw, I did notice a major boom in there population after vacuuming sand bed.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best shot I could get tonight. There are 100s of them though. Sorry for blue it’s late

Attachments

• 96331C16-F276-4041-BFC1-C2399D9EE9DF.jpeg
    96331C16-F276-4041-BFC1-C2399D9EE9DF.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 78

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Medusa is no where near as toxic as the sea cucumbers or sea apples. If you have fish that like to pick on them and you have hundreds. You can probably remove some.

You said your tank is fallow, so.. I don't know who you could have to upset them.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my tank is fishless atm. When I said fallow I meant empty for 2 years. Water was still flowing though. Did not want rock to go completely dead. I restarted within last 80 days. All I have in the tank now is 2 fire shrimp, cleanup crew, and about 23 mixed frags. All is doing well other then 2 days ago fire shrimp freaked out when I put my hand in the tank. Soon I will be adding some basic friendly fish. Was thinking a possum wrasse to keep down on these vermetid snails.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that the Medusa is not very toxic is very helpful though. Do I need to keep constant carbon going though?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Knowing that the Medusa is not very toxic is very helpful though. Do I need to keep constant carbon going though?
Not really if no one is in there to pick on them. Toxins are released with harassment and death. I don't know their lifespan. You may want to remove some before adding livestock. Seems like they were really able to reproduce with nothing going on.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, could of been the fallow period that got them seeded. I never really looked at the tank under strong lights during it. So I could of well missed it. Just seems like they went crazy when I did complete sand vacuum. I would like something to keep them under control though.

Is there any fish or invert that can handle eating them?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't believe they have a natural predator. They taste very bad to fish. Manual removal is the best bet.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn… I just got the rocks the way I wanted them too.

last question, is there any commercial trap you recommend?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know what is going on in your tank to produce food for them to thrive. Maybe some water changes to reduce organics?

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 2 months I have done 10+ 20% water changes. 0 detectable nitrates .09 phos. All other parameters over slightly elevated for corals 8.7 alk, 450 calcium, 1400 mag. I have some really thick rocks so I was actually hoping the nitrates would come up to 1 or 2 for the ops and softies.

Edit:Also I have a massively oversized skimmer. The bubble magus b12. It seems to be done with most of the skimming now though. For first couple weeks tons of skimmate but, now hardly any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 50ml of Red Sea ab+ every 2 days. For coral coloration. That might be it but, I would like to keep it going.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I will leave it at that then. They are actually very interesting to me. :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok thanks, I will leave it at that then. They are actually very interesting to me. :)
Np, if you ever decide to remove them. They are very sticky creatures and netting them wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Just don't want to injure them in the process. But with no fish or crabs to bother them. I think you're fine letting them be.

I can't say that for 100% you don't want them to be chopped up by equipment.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I have seen with my worms is that they eat whatever hits the ground. Like fish food, some dead algae, and they have lassoed pieces of substrate and pulled them in to clean them off. It sounds like you had a lot of die-off in your tank over the two years which kept them alive. I believe you're seeing them now because you cleaned in there (sand bed particularly) and they have to come out to find food. So keep an eye on them for die-off, or, you could feed them! :D

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this acts as a food source for them as well. Very intriguing.

IMO, it would help. Your coral also poop, so another food source plus what ever bacteria forms to break it down. I love my worms. ;Happy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back