Syncra SDC 9.0 return pump noise

ychan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I do more research before I purchase my return pump, Syncra SDC 9.0, for my new Red Sea reefer set up. I read some of the sale ad syncra is a very quiet pump. However, after installation, it emitted a constant loud annoying hum. I changed the tubing to a reinforced silicone tube directly between the pump and reefer inflow adaptor and also wrapped a silicone pad over the pump with no improvement of the noise. Wish I bought vector 2 instead!! Anyone knows a good way/trick to reduced Syncra pump noise. Please help!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put the rubber feet on the pump? They were in the bag with the plumbing connections. A reinforced silicon tube is still very rigid. I have some plain silicone tube running from my two Synchra 9.0s for a couple feet to my tank hard plumbing and they are very quiet

OP
OP
Y

ychan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, rubber feet are on the pump, will try to look for some plain silicone tube at Amazon. Is plain silicone tube too weak and may lead to rupture?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, rubber feet are on the pump, will try to look for some plain silicone tube at Amazon. Is plain silicone tube too weak and may lead to rupture?
BRS sells that tubing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/white-soft-silicone-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html
I've used it for years and never had any issue with it weakening. That being said, I only run about 1000GPH through it and only for about a couple feet at the longest. I also don't use it to plumb directly to my UV because I'm nervous the light spray will weaken the tubing. No idea if that's a real concern, but I figured better safe than sorry!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back