syphoning algae

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what may be a stupid question: How does one make an apparatus that can syphon algae off rocks, sand bed ect? I have seen videos of people syphoning GHA off their rocks(presumable once its been loosened by Vibrant). I have something growing on sandbed, walls and rocks, and plan on getting a microscope to ID because I have had no luck with chemiclean and dosing MB7 and vibrant. In the mean time I have been getting it off sand with a turkey baster which literaly takes forever so I dont do it like I should. I would like to try this daily but it clogs my water changer type of syphon hose. I have a marineland 1200 and it has 3 uses one says utility. I havnt been able to find it but wondering if I should put much more effort into locating it. LOL Is that what people use? I would apreciate any advice!

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha. I have several of those from walmart aka hellmart but it takes forever that way! I want to hook up a hose to something that can pull it out, I have seen people pulling out algae like that, and sucking it right up! It clogs my water changer hose. I even tried to remove the filter from it but cant get it out!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to take the pump hose hook up u wanna use with u to the hardware store. Get a bigger diameter hose or bigger pump. Start your wc. Blow it all into your pump or siphon with the wc if your goin the other way. Hths
D

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to take the pump hose hook up u wanna use with u to the hardware store. Get a bigger diameter hose or bigger pump. Start your wc. Blow it all into your pump or siphon with the wc if your goin the other way. Hths
D
I have the pump that is currently in my tank pumping the water and I have a pump I use for waterchanges to pump water back in the tank. What I am try to do is something exactly opposite, that instead of pumping water it will pull it out. Since I am a woman...lol and dont get much help from hubby I may have to just pick up a phython No way can i fiqure out a dyi project on this. LOL I guess the vidoes I see are dyi projects or a phython. I was thinking my maxijet 1200 could be used like that (lost directions)but i just read the box and under utility mode it says 5.5 max head height so now realize that its basically just for pumping water also a powerhead and a circulation pump so at least I didn't throw my money away. I can always use it as a back up:)

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I've used my maxijet1200 and you need to be careful as it could damage or blow your corals off the rocks. I prefer to use the turkey baster. There are long ones for sale with large bulbs which make the process a little easier. The 1200 I find too much.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back