T. noae or T. maxima? What do you guys and galls think?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the tittle said. What do you think of my two new clams. I am waiting for these to be deliver.
4FA0D34B-F867-47D9-8769-47CE6965808D.png
38AF9590-E6B7-4062-B2FA-BC8A7F20FA93.png

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two clams above are wild collected from Australia. They are sold as "Maxima clams". I got them from Corals.com. Australia has wild T. noae along with wild T. maxima. The picture below are pictures of T. maxima, mine and the group picture from the Internet.
Several things that cause me to think the two clams I just buy may be wild T. noae.

1. The efferent siphon are closer to midlife in Noae while closer to the 1/3 mark on the Maxima mantle
2. Maxima never have more than 5 lobes each side on the mantle. Noae are even more elongated and smaller scutes that often result in 6 lopes on the mantle
3. Iridophores pattern on the clams, along the edge in Maxima and more distribute all over the mantle in Noae.
4. The color pattern.

Sorry, I don't have the clams in hand yet so I cannot provide clearer pictures. I get to exam the clams close by New Year.

Attached is an article of the late Jake Adams on Noae around the world.
Teardrop Clams around the World
Merry Christmas everybody.
Clam2020120601BlueMaxima1.jpg
MaximaWeb2.jpg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to all of you clam addicts..
my wife want to have a clam in our tank....

so, which clam or lets say coloration is the best to look at from a normal view and not from top down.
for me clams were only "special" from top down.. now I wonder what coloration is the best from front view and which does look best in blue/actinic lighting?

cheers!

PS: sorry for hitchhiking the thread :D @OrionN

Sir Bubb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance these could be Tridacna ningaloo? The first pic looks very similar to one that I attempted ten or so years ago. I was unable to keep it alive for more than a few weeks, but I suspect that had more to do with the supplier than the clam it’s self. Beautiful clams regardless of species designation!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that T. ningaloo is consider a separate species at this time. I think they are actually a sub-group of T. noae, the Noae clams that do not really have much tear drops, and have bubblier polyps on the mantle.

Last edited:

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clams!!! IMO, those are "nonteardrop" T. noae:astonished-face::star-struck:!!!! Great find and an even better eye to ID! I just reviewed Fatherree's updated Giant clam bible. I had to buy one too! I had three in my cart but needed to exercise some self control:downcast-face-with-sweat:. Deleting two was torture!!! Thanks for the notification Minh:smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:!!
My Noae Dec 2022.jpeg

Last edited:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful clams!!! IMO, those are "nonteardrop" T. noae:astonished-face::star-struck:!!!! Great find and an even better eye to ID! I just reviewed Fatherree's updated Giant clam bible. I had to buy one too! I had three in my cart but needed to exercise some self control:downcast-face-with-sweat:. Deleting two was torture!!! Thanks for the notification Minh:smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:!!
My Noae Dec 2022.jpeg
Was wondering where that one went. Was in the cart but weather and possible holiday shipping delays kept me away. Great looking clam. Good luck w it

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the classic lobes and “teardrops” of noae to me and beautiful ones at that. Hopefully they adjust well to captivity. I have had wilds hit and miss over the years.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering where that one went. Was in the cart but weather and possible holiday shipping delays kept me away. Great looking clam. Good luck w it
Thanks. I know I left 2 beauties behind that were in my cart. They have flexible delivery days. You do not have to ship immediately. Mine will be delivered 12-30-22.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back