T. noae or T. maxima? What do you guys and galls think?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are T. noae that does not have the classic teardrop, which are spots with lighter borders. The ones that I have one have classic teardrops and colored rather than tan and brown. The blue one have drops that is not classic tear drops but it is blue in color.
The old name Tridacna elongata described in the 1819 really described T. noae rather than T. maxima. If one look at the shell shape and the flutes, there is no mistaken between Maxima vs Noae. Noae are much more elongated.

Noae was described as a species before Maxima (under a different name), then lumped together with Maxima and lost its species status. Now with genetic testing, they regain their species status. I think T. noae and T. maxima are different enough genetically that they don’t hybridized. There are variation in various population of T. noae but close enough that they still consider one species.
The classic teardrop Noae were first imported to the US from VietNam in the early 2000. I imported a box back in 2002 or so. I still have a picture of some of these clams somewhere. I gave these clams to some reefers in South Texas at the time(friend of mine). And sell some at cost to other reefers. It was a fun time.

When I see these clams, I am sure they are T. noae instead of T. maxima. Because of this reason I go ahead and ordered two. I am glad I did.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... As somewhat of a beginner-intermediate clam keeper I think the distinct characteristic of Noae is tear drops, right?
No there are Noae that do not have the classic teardrops. The population of Noae at Northwest Australia coast do not have classic teardrops

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the info, Minh. I just bought a book about clams in reef aquariums. Looking forward to learning more.
CBCC8995-5637-4569-9AF4-3E1300B9F22B.jpeg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clams!!! IMO, those are "nonteardrop" T. noae:astonished-face::star-struck:!!!! Great find and an even better eye to ID! I just reviewed Fatherree's updated Giant clam bible. I had to buy one too! I had three in my cart but needed to exercise some self control:downcast-face-with-sweat:. Deleting two was torture!!! Thanks for the notification Minh:smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:!!
My Noae Dec 2022.jpeg
Beautiful clam. I had the hardest time deciding between this clam and the one I got.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T. noae also exhibit “bumps” papillae and no teardrops. Maximas may have a few “bumps” but the ones listed on that sight all seem to be noae. Besides the mantle, the shell is the other give away. But they all exhibit papillae in great numbers, which is the big ID for me.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are T. noae that does not have the classic teardrop, which are spots with lighter borders. The ones that I have one have classic teardrops and colored rather than tan and brown. The blue one have drops that is not classic tear drops but it is blue in color.
The old name Tridacna elongata described in the 1819 really described T. noae rather than T. maxima. If one look at the shell shape and the flutes, there is no mistaken between Maxima vs Noae. Noae are much more elongated.

Noae was described as a species before Maxima (under a different name), then lumped together with Maxima and lost its species status. Now with genetic testing, they regain their species status. I think T. noae and T. maxima are different enough genetically that they don’t hybridized. There are variation in various population of T. noae but close enough that they still consider one species.
The classic teardrop Noae were first imported to the US from VietNam in the early 2000. I imported a box back in 2002 or so. I still have a picture of some of these clams somewhere. I gave these clams to some reefers in South Texas at the time(friend of mine). And sell some at cost to other reefers. It was a fun time.

When I see these clams, I am sure they are T. noae instead of T. maxima. Because of this reason I go ahead and ordered two. I am glad I did.
I remember the clams from Vietnam I have often wondered what happened with them, but I am guessing a resort probably moved in.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about Noae clam in Fatherree book I’m 100% positive these are non-teardrops found in the Indian Ocean west of Australia. Obviously I don’t have the clam to inspect its shell form, scutes, ribs…visually Fatherree describes them as “most commonly sprinkled, spotted, blotches or marbled, etc with a wide range of colors…not as brightly colored as many Maximas can be”. The clams on corals.com fit the bill.
I was going to add a turquoise Maxima for its bright coloration but they are more readily available than Noae. Hence the purchase.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite the best pictures, but this is all I have for now. The color isn't right and I was in too much of a hurry yesterday and placed the clams too close to the edge of the container. I moved them just now but will need to wait until they they settle down, and hav eto wait until the light color finish ramp up and white light.
Clam2023010201NoaeGreenGold.jpg
Clam2023010202NoaeBlue.jpg

Last edited:
Back