T-slot stands... Who's got the best DIY thread?

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" this was the thread I had in mind with the overbuilt comment: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-nautilus-peninsula-aquarium.244273/#post-2869467

The one major thing I don't like about that stand is that the top beams are side mounted with counterbores into the columns instead of bearing on the column. It makes a difference. I would never trust a shear connection to support a glass box of water. IMO, @alex.mccann99 did it right.

I love the old Parquet floors - Brings back memories! That was a solid built stand! Way overkill, the way I like it!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one major thing I don't like about that stand is that the top beams are side mounted with counterbores into the columns instead of bearing on the column. It makes a difference.
We share this opinion. ;)
I would never trust a shear connection to support a glass box of water.
It simply goes back to the basics of building a wood stand - don't ever rely on your fasteners in shear.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one major thing I don't like about that stand is that the top beams are side mounted with counterbores into the columns instead of bearing on the column. It makes a difference. I would never trust a shear connection to support a glass box of water. IMO, @alex.mccann99 did it right.

I love the old Parquet floors - Brings back memories! That was a solid built stand! Way overkill, the way I like it!
Yeah, thanks. That is one thing I saw in my researching was figuring out what parts are actually supporting the weight of the tank. I have a rimless tank and wanted the weight being destributed all the way around, not just on the four corners. My display is only 25 gallons. If I was going bigger I'd go with the 20 series. When you build the structure right it's amazing how much weight it can hold. I love mine in black with the silver corner brackets. Another important tip for anyone, use Blue Locktite once your ready to tighten it all down. Mines been up for almost a year now. Everything's as tight as the day I put it together.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another important tip for anyone, use Blue Locktite once your ready to tighten it all down. Mines been up for almost a year now. Everything's as tight as the day I put it together.
There really shouldn't be a need for that - there are no forces which would lend to the fasteners losing preload or backing off.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thanks. That is one thing I saw in my researching was figuring out what parts are actually supporting the weight of the tank. I have a rimless tank and wanted the weight being destributed all the way around, not just on the four corners. My display is only 25 gallons. If I was going bigger I'd go with the 20 series. When you build the structure right it's amazing how much weight it can hold. I love mine in black with the silver corner brackets. Another important tip for anyone, use Blue Locktite once your ready to tighten it all down. Mines been up for almost a year now. Everything's as tight as the day I put it together.

It looks great! Honestly, from a strength standpoint, we way under estimate how much glass tanks support themselves, even the rimless ones. Series 10 is more than adequate for most tanks. Glass tanks do not distribute their weight onto our stands uniformly thus the large framing members we often see just are not needed. Having said that, series 15 offers more connection options than series 10. But with a bigger tank, Series 20 may look better.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, there are other manufacturers of extruded aluminum JOKAB SAFETY by ABB robotics is a cost effective alternative and all the fittings come assembled with t-nuts and fasteners. We use both 80/20 and JS for projects, for tooling and automation we use 80/20 and for cabinets, stands etc. we use the JS. for cost savings. I hear Bosh has a quality system as well.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant to build a stand out of T-slot, but I'm glad I did. It's easy to modify and add on components later, like I did with the two light bars after originally building the stand.
a73d1d93f458c86d67846cda1905335f.jpg
0af193a397ab083029570d2dcf4545ec.jpg
b0095184ae81bc759b3444ca62a27dc8.jpg

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a concern ever that the screws may become loose over time?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never build a stand out of it. Just light racks! This is black 10 series.

Can you provide more details on the hardware required to mount your Kessil A160s to the T slot? It looks like you are using a spacer of some sort or could be kessil one mounting hardware. How does that piece just slide into the T slot? Looking to find a way to mount a Mitras that uses M4 screws but unsure what is needed to attach to the T slot.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try expanded pvc, if you want an opaque look.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was the problem with this is up is that after getting everything up and going to tank cracked in the middle of the night and caused my wife to get her new wood floors and get rid of that old carpet the tank was sitting on.:) So I took the quick frame apart and used it for my water tanks in my garage.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that white piece of plastic is a 1/2 thick piece of Delrin. Delrin is a machinable plastic extremely hard compared to UMHW plastic.
I am a maintenance man so I use plastic sheets all the time for making guards and pieces for equipment. So I had some extra from a job and used it for a government project.:)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back