T12 vs T5 supplementation hear me out on this one...

T-5unsystem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once read an article that said the only thing that made T5 better is the reflectors. Wish I could find it now. It made sense and the time because the argument was PC bulbs are bent T5s basically. But, since they are wider from bending, the reflectors don't work as well.

Whatcha think @saltyfilmfolks ?

I am with this one, the diameter of the T12 means a lot of the light is bouncing around inside the tube and not making it out. The "built in reflector" pales in comparison to a quality T5 reflector with highly reflective aluminum. Efficiency comes from getting the light out of the tube, collecting it and directing it where you want it to go.

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did we land on this topic? My tank is cycled and I am choosing lighting.
I am setting up a mixed reef catered to SPS with some LPS down lower 90 gallon.

I have 2 AI primes & 2 hydra 26. I also have 4 retrofit T12 bulbs & was thinking about setting up 2 hydras with 2 or 4 T12 bulbs surrounding them? Thoughts? Would it be worth it? When I was running the hydras & 4 bulb T5 setup my sps colors were awesome.

PS. I would rather not spend another $150+ on new retrofit for T5 & do not want to buy the hybrid because the wife likes the canopy top.

Thanks all.

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never got off the ground. I am opening an LFS and haven't had project time.

Oh bummer for the 1st part & awesome for the second. Good luck with the pet store.

If anyone has any other input on if the T12 bulbs are worth installing I would love to hear it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back