T5 ballast replacement

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got some t5 ho lights for twenty bucks, the ballast I do believe is out. Is there a way to check if it is actually the ballast or if maybe it is just the end caps?
If it is the ballast, will any t5 ho ballast work? By this I mean does it matter if it is program starter I think it is called or the other types of starters

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all what type of ballast do you have. What size bulbs and how many. pics would be nice as well.
As for ballasts... I am driving 4 t-5 ho 36" with a workhorse 7. It does a great job and only costs about $55 including shipping.
Alot of people on here also use Icecap which are considered better ballasts but they are much more ($165) new. Icecap is out of business but there is another company that builds them (cann't remember the name.) Give us some more info on the first set of questions I asked and we can probably help ya.

OP
OP
C

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a hagen glo 48" t5 ho 54w 2 lamp fixture. I am assuming it is the ballast because it wont even flicker for a second. I found that a programmed ballast just means rapid start which is what I would want. I also found that sockets are a less likely if there is no visible wear and tear. So I am assuming it could only b the ballast. Bulbs r brand new.
So now my question is any t5 ho 54w 2 lamp ballast will work as long as it fits in the fixture correct?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good place to start would be Prolighting. They have a huge selection of diff. ballasts. I would call them and tell them what you have. I would stick with the workhorse line. They are great ballasts. If your just driving 2 t-5s I would look at the workhorse 3. Not sure what size ballast you have. Get the messurements and give them a call. There are thousands of ballasts out there I just know what has worked for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back