T5 Bulb Combination Question

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AquaticLife 48" T5 fixture - 4 bulbs. They are paired on a built-in timer. Bulbs 1 and 3 on one timer, bulbs 2 and 4 on the other. It also have 4 1w blue LED moonlights. Right now I have the following configuration:

Bulb 1 - Current 10K white (installed Oct '10)
Bulb 2 - Geisemann Actinic + (installed Mar '10)
Bulb 3 - Current 10K white
Bulb 4 - Geisemann Actinic +

I want to add a KZ Figi Purple. Question is, what bulb do I replace? I would assume one of the Currents... Since I'm in on the BRS group buy, I want to get the replacement bulb(s) on my order.

Thanks in advance.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are right in your assumption. I was just talking to Jay about this yesterday. Get 1 purple fiji and something else to replace the other current 10k, they are awful.

OP
OP
NeedBiggerTank

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question then becomes - what do I get for the other bulb? Another KZ or something else? I have to admit the light spectrum thing I don't completely understand. I've tried reading about it - but end up cross eyed. My current lighting makes everything look kinda flesh colored. Corals appear just like pictures under my blue LEDs only - but with all the lights on they look washed out. Want to do what I can to correct that.

Any suggestions on the other 10K bulb replacement?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I saw that link yesterday. you should be able to get a good idea of what you can try

OP
OP
NeedBiggerTank

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Jay. Seems like most tanks w/ just the T5s are runnung more blue tinted bulbs - which makes sense as to why my tank looks so white/washed out.

So, I want to add more blue to replace my other Current 10K - so which would be better:

Geisemann Aqua Blue +

or

ATI AquaBlue Special

One better than the other or pretty much the same?

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have geissmen blues on mine and am going to go with ATI when my bulbs are ready for the change. I have read many threads that boast about ATI being the best and how the combo of the Blue + and the purple fiji is amazing. Being that I have the same fixture as you, I'm thinking a combo of ATI Blue Special - ATI Purple Fiji - Geissmen 10k Daylight - ATI Blue Special

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some coral wave bulbs by wavepoint for use as my actinics. I love them. Have a slight pink hint so they are purpleish. Grows my coralline like crazy!

OP
OP
NeedBiggerTank

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am ordering from BRS and they only carry Geisemann, ATI, UV and KZ - so I need to pick from those. Am going to keep the 2 Geisemann Actinic + bulbs, as they are essentially new - just want to replace the two Current 10Ks. Really wishing I had a 6 bulb fixture. LOL But that wasn't available when we bought ours - came out 6 months later. Figures!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with the ATI Blue Plus and a KZ Fiji Purple! I'm living vicariously through your group buy ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back