T5 bulb's secret sauce? Why are they the reefing "gold standard" and can LEDs compare? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no question that T5's can make some pretty EPIC tanks! ... But what's the secret behind their success?

We all will learn something today as start unravelling those secrets by comparing those color channel switches on our LEDs to the spectrum in 16-different T5 bulbs!

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video as usual, Randy

when I upgraded my tank in Jan, I supplemented 3 Primes with two reef brite retrofit single bulb fixtures and can’t imagine never running at least some T5.

this video focuses on spectrum as what makes T5s special, which is true for sure, but there’s something else magical about them as well: coverage.

My extremely smart engineer friend helped me machine some custom light mounting brackets for my hood and explained why fluorescent bulbs produce so much less shadowing.

The way he explained it, in an LED fixture, each diode is a point light source, while in a fluorescent bulb, each particle of gas is a point light source.

What this means is that a T5 bulb effectively has infinite points of light shooting in infinite directions. That’s why T5’s seem to almost wrap around the bottom of branching Acros and the like. I’m not sure how LEDs could ever fully replicate this effect.

Just thought I would share because I hadn’t thought of it that way and found his explanation eye-opening.

Last edited:

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others might disagree with me, but I've found amazing illumination/coloration of my acropora from 2x Blue Plus and 2x Purple Plus combination. It really brights out the red pigments in the tank, as you would expect from the spectrum charts.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this question to the thread. I have a Kessil 360x over my tank. With Kessil’s technology and claim of optimum spectrum for corals, is it fair to say that regardless of what color blend you find most appealing, you will still always be in that sweet spot of spectrum for coral growth? Or is it better to run the tank more blue/violet in visual appearance?
Also, is it oversimplified to say that the intensity of the Kessil light is merely for changing how much par your creating on the tank? Thanks for the input!
My goal has been to try and get amazing coral colors with LED’s alone, so this video was a great overview and very insightful.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy can I ask an opinion? Would you run a ati purple plus bulb or a atinic bulb if my tank lights are at all blue channel?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any leds that cover the range of true actinic there are a few that try. Even when I was using metal halide the tubes were actinic vho. Why my next setup will be hybrid t5 and led

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum. It's like a circle, not a square but a circle. It's not a triangle. It's a circle. ( Rob Schneider ) It's late and I knew I shouldn't have checked my email. PAR, PUR, Spectrum, Spread. Oh my!

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an 8 bulb dimmable sunpower fixture from BRS a little more than a week ago. I haven’t actually gotten to use the fixture yet as I’m still waiting for my display tank to arrive, but my initial impressions are great.

Although, I wish I would have seen this video before I bought my bulbs. I bought a combination of ATI coral light (10K), ATI coral light II (14K), and ATI super blue (20K) bulbs.

As a person whose been out of the hobby for about a decade, the kelvin temperature rating of bulbs gives me a good idea of the color I should expect to get in my system. If I recall, coral growth was best under 10K metal halides and slowed as you reached the 20K rating while coloration was best under 20K and got more washed out as you approached 10K.

Does that still hold true with the more modern T5 fixtures and bulbs?

Is there any reason these bulbs didn’t get tested in the video?

As always, I enjoyed and learned a lot from this video. Thanks for your work and effort!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this question to the thread. I have a Kessil 360x over my tank. With Kessil’s technology and claim of optimum spectrum for corals, is it fair to say that regardless of what color blend you find most appealing, you will still always be in that sweet spot of spectrum for coral growth? Or is it better to run the tank more blue/violet in visual appearance?
Also, is it oversimplified to say that the intensity of the Kessil light is merely for changing how much par your creating on the tank? Thanks for the input!
My goal has been to try and get amazing coral colors with LED’s alone, so this video was a great overview and very insightful.

I'm SOOO glad you asked this!! I can't wait until you see next week's episode! ;) ;)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy can I ask an opinion? Would you run a ati purple plus bulb or a atinic bulb if my tank lights are at all blue channel?

There's a massive difference between the two and how they are accomplishing "purple" or "actinic". The actinic bulbs actually target the 420nm range while the purple bulbs just add in more red to an already blue spectrum to create "purple". The latter really does nothing for coral pop or zing.

I don't think I could find any reason for me personally to run a purple bulb in my T5 combos. Some reefers do and they love it, it's just not for me.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an 8 bulb dimmable sunpower fixture from BRS a little more than a week ago. I haven’t actually gotten to use the fixture yet as I’m still waiting for my display tank to arrive, but my initial impressions are great.

Although, I wish I would have seen this video before I bought my bulbs. I bought a combination of ATI coral light (10K), ATI coral light II (14K), and ATI super blue (20K) bulbs.

Is there any reason these bulbs didn’t get tested in the video?

As always, I enjoyed and learned a lot from this video. Thanks for your work and effort!

I believe the bulbs you mention are from KZ (Korallen Zucht). They have bulbs dubbed the "Coral Light" "Coral Light II New Generation" and the "Super Blue", which were all represented in this test. :)

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a massive difference between the two and how they are accomplishing "purple" or "actinic". The actinic bulbs actually target the 420nm range while the purple bulbs just add in more red to an already blue spectrum to create "purple". The latter really does nothing for coral pop or zing.

I don't think I could find any reason for me personally to run a purple bulb in my T5 combos. Some reefers do and they love it, it's just not for me.
Awesome I appreciate the info. Looks like I'll switch back to my atinic bulb haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back