T5 bulb's secret sauce? Why are they the reefing "gold standard" and can LEDs compare? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video as usual, Randy

My extremely smart engineer friend helped me machine some custom light mounting brackets for my hood and explained why fluorescent bulbs produce so much less shadowing.

The way he explained it, in an LED fixture, each diode is a point light source, while in a fluorescent bulb, each particle of gas is a point light source.

Just thought I would share because I hadn’t thought of it that way and found his explanation eye-opening.

A way to look at it might be.. The LED has a very small point of light and has to use a lens to spread the light in a wider beam. the same number of electrons has to be used to cover the same area. you get a greater spread of that light.. Visually it is brighter because of the power you have to put into it to get equivalent spread.. how can I say this better .. You have to spread the peanut butter farther to cover the bread.. wow I suck at this..

The T5 Floro bulb is gas filled and the electrons inside crash against the inside of the tube causing the coating to flourese. with so many points you get a greater spread using the same power because it is so long.. Ever see a difference in a shorter tube vs. a longer one?

Ya know my explanation dont even help ME understand it.. taken at face... so.. I give up.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Do you have any idea, if I put Kessil 160WE with my ATI 6 bulb, it will add any shimmer?

Thanks
It will. I run kessil a160's with my 8 bulb (only run 6 for daylight hours) and they do provide shimmer. The more white you go on the kessil the stronger the shimmer will be. I run mine close to 50% color and about 90% power and I get a nice gentle shimmer. Running 3 kessils with the 8 x 80 watt sunpower over a standard 180g. Bulb combo is 3 B+, 2 C+ and 1 AB special. Sunrise and sunset are 2 ATI actinics. One of my favorite times to look at the tank is at sunrise/sunset. The actinics with the kessils is amazing in my opinion.

Jason04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how a light source similar to that of an led television yet only brighter would work over an aquarium?

bbgobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video
Were the bulbs brand new? How much difference after say a week of burn in?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video

We used 24hr burn in initially. From our previous testing on T5 bulbs as @tehmadreefer posted and others, we've found very little to nearly no change in the bulb spectrum regardless of being straight out of the box and 1-2yrs after use. :)

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will. I run kessil a160's with my 8 bulb (only run 6 for daylight hours) and they do provide shimmer. The more white you go on the kessil the stronger the shimmer will be. I run mine close to 50% color and about 90% power and I get a nice gentle shimmer. Running 3 kessils with the 8 x 80 watt sunpower over a standard 180g. Bulb combo is 3 B+, 2 C+ and 1 AB special. Sunrise and sunset are 2 ATI actinics. One of my favorite times to look at the tank is at sunrise/sunset. The actinics with the kessils is amazing in my opinion
Thanks!!!

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used 24hr burn in initially. From our previous testing on T5 bulbs as @tehmadreefer posted and others, we've found very little to nearly no change in the bulb spectrum regardless of being straight out of the box and 1-2yrs after use. :)

It would be really cool if BRS did a video recommendation for ATI bulb combinations. Have a recommendation for T5 only tanks. 4 bulb 6 bulb and 8 bulb configurations.

I know it's not as sexy as talking about LED's but there are always people looking for bulb combo recommendations on R2R. That way we can point them to your video.

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI provides that on their very own website.

I have seen that but none of the combinations include actinic. After viewing this video by BRS, I don't know how anyone could recommend an 8 bulb combo that does not include it.

Plus, I would like to hear their opinion.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI also recommends 8 to 12 month bulb replacement. BRS does not agree with that, so maybe they would have a different and logical assessment of bulb combos based on the info in this video.

Who would one believe? ATI, the ones that actually MAKE the bulbs or a retailer that sells them??? Also ATI, the manufacturer RECOMMENDS.

Additionally the actinic bulb is a lower par bulb that provide “pop” to corals. It’s really not a high selling bulb for that reason.

I run an actinic and purple plus in my 8 bulb fixture.

Last edited:

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would believe? ATI, the ones that actually MAKE the bulbs or a retailer that sells them??? Also ATI, the manufacturer RECOMMENDS.

Additionally the actinic bulb is a lower par bulb that provide “pop” to corals. It’s really not a high selling bulb for that reason.

I run an actinic and purple plus in my 8 bulb fixture.

Well ATI credibility has taken a hit because they still recommend changing bulbs every 8 months. They haven't changed the website to help reefers save on money and environmental waste.

I don't know why you are arguing with me, BRS does all kinds of BRS recommendations. Why would a question asked a million times on R2R be do out of line? I value BRS recommendations, but I don't blindly follow them. More info from positive sources is better than getting a recommendation from someone I don't know on R2R.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back