T5 par levels before break in? seeing higher par then expected

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an sq-420 and the par readings are higher then i expected for my aquatic life fixture. my bulb are relatively new, they have run for maybe 40-50 hours. To what degree does par output decrease in the first 100 hours?

I am seeing around 190-200 par at 12” deep with the lights at 8” over the water in some spots. its a 40B with the lights in a 16” bracket so i dont have an apples to apples par comparison, but it seems high. Higher even than a 4 bulb ati fixture.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems about right to me. I PAR tested my 48” aquatic life fixture after it had been running a few months and got around 160-200 par with just the T5s and mid 300s to high 400s with my Kessils running.

OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems about right to me. I PAR tested my 48” aquatic life fixture after it had been running a few months and got around 160-200 par with just the T5s and mid 300s to high 400s with my Kessils running.
interesting. i was expecting more in the low 100s from brs testing, maybe a little higher if it performed more like the ati 4 bulb with the 16” bracker.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I remember expecting lower too. You could always raise the lights a bit if you want lower values but then you get more light spill into the room. I found 8 inches to be the sweet spot for my setup.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an sq-420 and the par readings are higher then i expected for my aquatic life fixture. my bulb are relatively new, they have run for maybe 40-50 hours. To what degree does par output decrease in the first 100 hours?

I am seeing around 190-200 par at 12” deep with the lights at 8” over the water in some spots. its a 40B with the lights in a 16” bracket so i dont have an apples to apples par comparison, but it seems high. Higher even than a 4 bulb ati fixture.
Your measurements sound ballpark. Use the 'electric light' setting in the software and also correct for the immersion effect (1.08.) You likely have done this - just checking.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought the SQ420 as well and I'm with you. I don't even have all my lights up(no leds running in my aquatic life hybrid at the moment) because I'm building a new canopy and addressing cable management, and levels are higher than I expected. My lights are 16" off the surface and I was going to lower them. Looks like based on the data I'm going to leave them where they are and possibly dial the leds back a bit. Hopefully I'll have a full data log by the end of the weekend.

So Glad I went with the 420 too. It's nice to be able to measure and log data my macbook all in one easy step.

OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the SQ420 as well and I'm with you. I don't even have all my lights up(no leds running in my aauatic life hybrid at the moment) because I'm building a new canopy and addressing cable management and it's higher than I expected.

I wonder if they improved the ballast? Here is a relatively crappy Image I did on the PAR I am seeing

1600445313770.png

It dropped about 25+ all around when I raised the fixture an inch and swapped out an AB+ for a Purple+ to compensate for the straight up 450 blue of the ReefLED50.

The red is T-5 only, the orange is my combined with my ReefLED50 at 60/20 Blue/White.

Maybe all the white rock is having an impact? It will be interesting to see how it is when the rock colors up.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back