T5 question for lighting experts - coral coloration and growth; not "look"

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! When I tested with just one Coral Plus, it did make it a lot whiter with just the one bulb, so I imagine the daylight will do even more. But yeah, it's true that the LEDs will cancel a bit of that out!

Just curious... If you run only Actinic and Blue Plus, why are you suggesting a 6500k bulb to bring out more pigments? Do you have experience with that, and if so, why aren't you doing it now? :)

Agreed on ramping up the channels on my LEDs. However, I only touched the white channel that runs for 4 hours (raised from 25% to 50%), and if I increase it more, I won't do so until some time has passed.

Yes, a 65k bulb will be even more so. But some people like that look.

That 50/50 combo that I'm using is my current "experiment", haha. Previously to this I used a 50/50 mix of blue + and Aquablue special (which is a white bulb) and it worked great; and previously to that I used a 65K Iwasaki halide and that grew coral like crazy and also provided great color. There are quite a few reefers that include a 65K Tropic or the 65K bulb from GE in their T5 mix for growth and coloration (although the bulb itself doesn't display the corals well, it causes the production of colors that blue LEDs display very well when the 65K bulb is off). When I replace bulbs next a Tropic will be in the mix.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've read on here that Cherry Corals uses 65k tropics to grow out many of the high end acros. The acros are then photographed under a 20k radium halide. :cool:

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 8 80w t5s...4 blue plus, 2 purple plus, 2 coral plus. If you’re only adding 2 I would suggest 1 blue plus and 1 purple plus to go with your leds...

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 50/50 combo that I'm using is my current "experiment", haha. Previously to this I used a 50/50 mix of blue + and Aquablue special (which is a white bulb) and it worked great; and previously to that I used a 65K Iwasaki halide and that grew coral like crazy and also provided great color. There are quite a few reefers that include a 65K Tropic or the 65K bulb from GE in their T5 mix for growth and coloration (although the bulb itself doesn't display the corals well, it causes the production of colors that blue LEDs display very well when the 65K bulb is off). When I replace bulbs next a Tropic will be in the mix.

Okay, that makes sense. :) I actually think I have an old GE 6500K bulb that I can try out (to see how bad it looks, LOL). Right now I have a ton of 36" T5 bulbs (and two single bulb fixtures on the tank), but I have two 48" fixtures (no bulbs yet) that I'm going to put up soon. So I'm deciding which bulbs to order.

Also, I've read on here that Cherry Corals uses 65k tropics to grow out many of the high end acros. The acros are then photographed under a 20k radium halide. :cool:

Good to know, thanks!
--Kyle

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought blue plus was best for color and growth, I run 3 blue plus and one coral plus

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TexasReefer82 , I just tried my GE 6500K bulb and it doesn't look great on its own, but when the LEDs are on they overpower it enough that it isn't too bad. And if I run that bulb earlier in the day, it won't be too bad. :)

I thought blue plus was best for color and growth, I run 3 blue plus and one coral plus

So did I, but many here are saying that's more for the look (pop), but that the corals will also benefit from some daylight spectrum? At any rate, there does seem to be some logic to the idea of (when using T5s purely for supplemental light over the LEDs) aiming for some spectrum that your LEDs aren't hitting (if that spectrum is beneficial to the coral).

So, TexasReefer82's suggestion of Geissman 6500k Tropic + ATI Actinic makes some sense. My LEDs aren't doing quite as much with those spectrums (I would assume). If Cherry Corals uses them in grow out as he mentioned, that's telling as well...
--Kyle

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on Reef2Reef for "GE 6500K" lamps and read what some other say about them. They're ugly - not challenging that, haha - but they grow coral for sure.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on Reef2Reef for "GE 6500K" lamps and read what some other say about them. They're ugly - not challenging that, haha - but they grow coral for sure.

Yeah, I'm reading this thread from a year ago - pretty interesting.
Shoot, maybe I should do two 6500k bulbs and skip the actinic. Let the coral grow / color up early in the day and pop in the early evening under blues... :)
--Kyle

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, maybe I should do two 6500k bulbs and skip the actinic. Let the coral grow / color up early in the day and pop in the early evening under blues... :)
--Kyle

Haha! Im still a big fan of the true actinic. Great for fluorescence.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--Kyle

That's a great thread! Got a little off base in the middle as I recall but still really good.

I was mistaken when I mentioned Cherry Corals before - I meant to say Battle Corals.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you choosed?

You revived an old thread! :) I did one Geissman 6500k Tropic + one ATI Actinic when I had just two T5 bulbs running with my Noopsyches.

But, just a couple of weeks ago, I switched over to 2x Radion XR30 Gen 4s and an AquaticLife Hybrid fixture with four T5 bulbs. Now that I have 4 slots to work with, I again went with one Geissman 6500k Tropic + one ATI Actinic, but also two ATI Blue Plus bulbs (one in front and one in back).

One could certainly make the argument that two Actinics and two 6500K bulbs may have been a better choice for health/growth, but I also like the look having the Blue Plus, still having some Actinic and 6500K light, and also having Radions that probably do a bit better full spectrum lighting than the Noopsyches. Cheers,
--Kyle

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have also a hybrid with t5, actually I had 2 corals+ and 2 blue+ and switched to 2 aquablue (I think the spectrum is more daylight than the coral+ ) and 2 blue+
I had also an actinic, but I see nothing in the tank from the actinic nor visually nor colour change, so I replace it buy a blue +
I don't know what is best for coral colouration white or blue so I' try to run the radion full spectrum 6 hours all channel to 100% and the rest of time blue.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have also a hybrid with t5, actually I had 2 corals+ and 2 blue+ and switched to 2 aquablue (I think the spectrum is more daylight than the coral+ ) and 2 blue+
I had also an actinic, but I see nothing in the tank from the actinic nor visually nor colour change, so I replace it buy a blue +
I don't know what is best for coral colouration white or blue so I' try to run the radion full spectrum 6 hours all channel to 100% and the rest of time blue.

All channels at 100%?? That's probably way too strong on the whites, reds, and greens. Which LED fixture?

And you took the Actinic out just because you couldn't see the color change? I would say that's a mistake. Just because you can't see the spectrum doesn't mean the corals aren't using it. The whole point of this thread is what's best for coral health and such - not the look. It's okay if you prefer a Blue Plus, but don't replace the Actinic just because you don't notice the color differences... And FYI, the Actinic bulbs do not appear bright. That's to be expected. But they still put out a lot of light, just a different spectrum.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have radion g5. yes all colour channel at 100% (but not the global intensity) . Why should it be to much? If you look the spectrum on the ecotech web side it is all channel at 100% and it is the optimum spectrum. Sanjay run also all channel at 100% with success.
I took of the actinic as it was nor pleasant to the eyes as you say they aren't bright and I also no saw any improvement in colours.. So why should I keep and unpleasant light If I saw no benefits in colour or coral health compared to other bulbs that are nicer?

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have radion g5. yes all colour channel at 100% (but not the global intensity) . Why should it be to much? If you look the spectrum on the ecotech web side it is all channel at 100% and it is the optimum spectrum. Sanjay run also all channel at 100% with success.
I took of the actinic as it was nor pleasant to the eyes as you say they aren't bright and I also no saw any improvement in colours.. So why should I keep and unpleasant light If I saw no benefits in colour or coral health compared to other bulbs that are nicer?

I'm surprised to hear of anyone running 100% on all channels. Many run AB+ which is typically 24% white, red, and green, I believe. All the way to 100% on those is a lot. I run mine at 30% white and 20% red/green (part of the time), and that's pretty white! Where do you see that listed as the optimum spectrum? On Ecotech's site, you can see their CoralLab report here. Notice none of their recommended spectrum configurations have white above 24%.

As another example, look at all the highlighted tanks on AI's website. You can click on each and see their spectrum settings. They all have white, red, and green much lower than blues.

Ironically, I'm arguing for more white and actinic in this discussion, but 100% I think is a bit much, especially if you want to enjoy the coral pop much of the time. Cheers,
--Kyle

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LEDs are 70% white 40-50% blues and two ati coral plus on front/back sides of LEDs. Looks warm with a perfect blue hue and grows everything like a boss.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to hear of anyone running 100% on all channels. Many run AB+ which is typically 24% white, red, and green, I believe. All the way to 100% on those is a lot. I run mine at 30% white and 20% red/green (part of the time), and that's pretty white! Where do you see that listed as the optimum spectrum? On Ecotech's site, you can see their CoralLab report here. Notice none of their recommended spectrum configurations have white above 24%.

As another example, look at all the highlighted tanks on AI's website. You can click on each and see their spectrum settings. They all have white, red, and green much lower than blues.

Ironically, I'm arguing for more white and actinic in this discussion, but 100% I think is a bit much, especially if you want to enjoy the coral pop much of the time. Cheers,
--Kyle
there are many farmers using white lights for growth and then blue for sale it, I saw even some put led for video you tube and then other light when the camera team was not here.. or open the roof for led daylight coming inside.I'm not saying it will not work under blue light, it will work but with the other channels the growth should be more quick and bring some more colours outside. Even Reinaldo from Pirate reefs said that for some colours you need the whites.
Check the thread about Sanjay schedule, other same Adam from Battlescorals do it also if what I read is correct:https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dr-sanjay-joshi-light-schedule.393417/

Don't know why people are afraid to run whites with 100% as long as your intensity is set properly for not burning the corals . Actually blue light is way more aggressive for corals and some pigmentations are a protection against the blue light and UV and show that in reality the coral have stress.
Here for example is the spectrum from the radion pro all channel to 100%:
spectrum radion.jpg
why should we worry about replicate this, as it is the spectrum that is sold to us?
If you run AB+ , the spectrum will be different, and you will use correctly only 48 blue LEDs and not properly the 40 other white and red green led, that would mean near 50% of your LEDs would be unuseful?
Also, the Ab+ spectrum is totally unnatural to what the corals get in the reef,so how could it be optimum?I believe since millions of years they probably are better adapted to spectrum closer to the daylight than the Ab+. Which probably explain the results of the 6500 kelvins bulbs .
Here are the spectrum that coral get in the nature:
Capture d’écran 2021-09-05 203350.jpg

So you see that it has nothing to do with what is a spectrum from the Ab+ mode.And even all channel at 100% we are far from this, Most of our corals come from deep less than 50m.From reef to reef and daytime, weather it can naturally vary.
And here another measurement (amateur not professional)from a German guy that checked the spectrum in the Philippines between 2,50 and 15m:
Capture d’écran 2021-09-09 000243.jpg

And here what I found that corals seems to be able to use :
Capture d’écran 2021-09-05 2101241.jpg

Again, I'm seeing nothing close to an Ab+ schedule?
So yes blues are very important and pleasant to look, but why skip also some other very important part of the spectrum that could explain the good results from other lights than led?I think most led manufacturer just communicated on what people like the most for sale and not what is the best for the corals.
The halides light where closer to this kind of spectrum and had a wider spectrum than led wich could explain the results. Recently I switched back to halides for compare with the leds and I saw positive results and new colours in the corals, unfortunately I broke my halides and had to come back to the radions it is why I try to find a setting that could me bring closer to the halides results with the advantages of the leds.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-09-05 210124.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2021-09-05 210124.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 17

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back