T5 what is it ?

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is great debate about t5 vs led vs .... but I am trying to understand are all t5 the same ? Can I use a general t5 for sps or a grow t5 bulb ? What is expected from the t5 light for coral growth ? Is it color spectrum ? In that case which spectrum is important for growth vs what is just the asthetic look ? Sorry for novice question but trying to learn and make educated decisions.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing wrong with T5, but do your research, don't think that just because you buy a fluorescent tube it lasts until it fails to start and its gonna save you megabucks over the cost of L.E.D., its a bit deeper than that.
T5 lose output and also shift spectrum with age, it is recommended to change out your tubes every 6-9 months, there are many spectrum's available, but if you are asking questions about aesthetics maybe do a bit more research on spectrum needs for coral first, you may find that spectrum, aesthetics and coral florescence and growth go hand in hand.
Search the net and the forum and get some solid reading done to arm yourself so your lighting decision is based on sound foundation and logic, there's plenty of info out there

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing bulbs every 6-9 months has been proven by Bulk Reef Supplies to be wrong.
They ran tests and show that you can get 9hrs/day 15-18months before the bulbs are truly dropping in output.

As per your initial question;
No, you can't use just any T5 bulb. You need aquarium bulbs with specific spectrum outputs, not just bulbs for say your workshop.

Grow as you mentioned are most likely 6500k
Reef bulbs are more 10,000-14,000-20,000k output

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A warning for a new reefer: T5 bulbs are great. You will often want or need to order them online. But, they are fragile. Do not fret it they arrive disintegrated. Do not worry about calling the supplier. They know. Bulbs by mail are hit and miss whether they arrive in one piece or 5000 pieces. They come wrapped sixteen ways to Sunday but shatter like nothing I have seen. Just part of the deal with T5’s by mail. On the flip side, never had one break during installation, but I always panic like playing Operation.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered T5's every 12 months from BRS for the last 10 years. Only once did 1 single bulb show up broke. Called up BRS CS, new bulb shipped out to me free of charge. BRS knows how to package them so they don't break in shipping.

And as @Greg P already mentioned, BRS did a video series on T5's and their results show T5's don't show degradation until the 15 to 18 month mark. Since that video, I've been letting mine go for 15 months have not noticed any difference in my corals.

FWIW, my tank is only lit with T5's. No supplemental LED's.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, BRS mentioned that there is a pretty large drop in T5 output within a month or so of use, but that they continue to work well enough for another 15-18 months before they need to be replaced... So I would avoid replacing all the bulbs in a fixture at once or there will be a large increase in output that can shock your corals (better to stagger replacement maybe 1 or 2 bulbs per month). Also, the used bulbs are perfectly good for use in something like a shop light until they finally burn out.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, BRS mentioned that there is a pretty large drop in T5 output within a month or so of use, but that they continue to work well enough for another 15-18 months before they need to be replaced... So I would avoid replacing all the bulbs in a fixture at once or there will be a large increase in output that can shock your corals (better to stagger replacement maybe 1 or 2 bulbs per month). Also, the used bulbs are perfectly good for use in something like a shop light until they finally burn out.

I see this quoted all the time. I have never staggered my replacements. Get in 6 new bulbs, replace all 6 at one time. Never have had an issue in 10 years of using T5's.

I actually had never heard of staggering bulb replacements until the BRS video.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this quoted all the time. I have never staggered my replacements. Get in 6 new bulbs, replace all 6 at one time. Never have had an issue in 10 years of using T5's.

Get a PAR meter and see the difference for your self.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do own a par meter......And tested when I replaced my last set of bulbs like 5 months ago just because I was curious after watching the BRS video.

No noticeable difference. Maybe a jump of 50 par, but not enough that it would effect corals. And that could be the initial jump in par they noted when the bulbs were new to how they level off after the first 100 hours of use.

You do realize BRS is just like any LFS? They only produce those videos, to sell you stuff. If those videos didn't eventually produce more cash for the company, those videos would be long gone by now, and they certainly wouldn't be producing more.

While I'll agree they are informative, in the end, they make BRS money by pushing products they test out to their customers. Ever wonder why everything they test, they sell? Yet they never test anything they don't sell.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I do the exact same thing and have been doing so with all my tanks over the years. Back in ‘the day’ we never staggered bulb replacement and everything was just fine.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 16 T5s on my 180 and saw over 100 PAR jump when replacing all at once, YMMV.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do own a par meter......And tested when I replaced my last set of bulbs like 5 months ago just because I was curious after watching the BRS video.

No noticeable difference. Maybe a jump of 50 par, but not enough that it would effect corals. And that could be the initial jump in par they noted when the bulbs were new to how they level off after the first 100 hours of use.

You do realize BRS is just like any LFS? They only produce those videos, to sell you stuff. If those videos didn't eventually produce more cash for the company, those videos would be long gone by now, and they certainly wouldn't be producing more.

While I'll agree they are informative, in the end, they make BRS money by pushing products they test out to their customers. Ever wonder why everything they test, they sell? Yet they never test anything they don't sell.
Good Point. Goes for a LOT of You Tube. People also review stuff that they got for free. Don't get me wrong, I love the internet and all the information/shared experiences. But I try and draw from different sources to eventually form my own opinion on what I think logical.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks a lot for input. I am looking at the problem from slightly different perspective. All I hear from a lot of hobbiest is brand of light. Which is great , it’s like if I buy Gucci shoes , well I am sure I will get great service and quality. What I want to know is what is it that I am paying for? And can I do a diy (lime t5ho with perhaps x spec t5) to further enhance my lighting

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the cosmetic differences in the housings, the main differences between brand x and brand y would be in the ballasts and the reflectors. You can certainly DIY a T5 light, but if you buy bargain components, you may not be as happy with the durability or spread of light.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are paying for 1) appearance, 2) engineering, and/or 3) components.

Now, me personally, I’ve built DIY T5 setups before so #1 doesn’t do much for me. You can buy really decent kits that include good parabolic reflectors #2, and commercial quality ballasts #3. There is a limited selection on reef spectrum bulbs so combining them gets you lots options.

After that, it’s down to choices: Can you accept a DIY or don’t want to mess with it? Does the light look the way you want? I can honestly say, my first tank was just T5 and going to LEDs ruined it. I’m currently building my next tank and will be using T5s from the start. I may add LEDs later but my setup should do just fine without them.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Except they have...on multiple occasions.

All the black box LEDs? Or how about all the supplements they spent over $20k testing? Quite a few weren't BRS or sold by BRS.

I understand people want to bash on BRS for "selling" items to people but it's quite ridiculous really. 1) They are a company. They have overhead and bills and employees to pay. Making money is quite crucial. 2) If they only cared about the $$$, they would push very different products on most things. Many people don't get to see costs so it's a tough thing to believe until you do see costs. It was quite the eye opener. 3) I'm quite happy BRS doesn't test items they don't sell. Why? Because it is completely unfair to trash a product and the company being trashed has no say or protection. I don't walk into a Chevy dealership asking them to go test a Ford and tell me everything they hate (or like) about it. If I want to know about the Ford, I'll go to Ford.

Until the community will actually put their money where their mouth is and donate to an unbiased third party that could test every item imaginable, we get to rely on companies like BRS. They've done far more good than bad for the hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back