Taco's 65G LPS Fiesta

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the skimmer that came with the tank scrubbed down, replaced all of the tubing and put it in my frag system. It certainly isn't the fanciest piece of kit, but I think it will work just fine until I scrape together the coin for an upgrade down the road.

My buddy just got one of these very used! How do you like it? I'm most likely going to have to set it up for him. Other than a good vinegar bath and a scrub do you have any tips? Also can you provide a bit of info on the LED spot lights you are using? They seem like they are quite potent and possibly inexpensive and could be used to cut out shading in specific areas of a tank!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy just got one of these very used! How do you like it? I'm most likely going to have to set it up for him. Other than a good vinegar bath and a scrub do you have any tips? Also can you provide a bit of info on the LED spot lights you are using? They seem like they are quite potent and possibly inexpensive and could be used to cut out shading in specific areas of a tank!

Well, it stopped working a couple months ago, but it did alright up until that point. I'm not really a skimmer guy (none of my 5 reef tanks has a "real" skimmer on it). I have a par30 and a par38 spotlight sold to me from Coral Compulsion. They have a great warranty, but I would point you in the direction of something like the AI prime instead -it's a much more modern fixture for not that much more $$$.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! The dwarf lionfish finally started accepting frozen mysis! I think it was a combo of 3 factors.

1. Hunger- he was only being fed live ghost shrimp twice/ week
2. Observation- constantly seeing the maroon clown snatching mysis in front of him at feeding time
3. Smell- I mixed the mysis with rod's reef food for the first time today, and that stuff is pungent! I noticed before the lion took the food he spent a good deal of time with his nose right to it, I think the pungent odor may have contributed to his change of habit.

He's now eating the stuff voraciously, which will put me at ease while I'm down in Puerto Rico for a month being a beach bum!

Also, I'm very close to switching over to Triton, but I haven't figured out my dosing schedule. I'm going to start with 2.2ml/ day and work from there. I have brs 1.1ml dosers on an Apex controller, so I'm not sure how I want to do the program yet... Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought two AI Prime HD fixtures off of BRS with my tax return. The plan is to eventually also get the 36" aquatic life t5 fixture, and try my hand at growing some sticks.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonights test results:

Sal. 1.023
Alk 9 dKH (Hanna)
Cal 421 (Hanna)
Mag 1275 (Nyos)
Po4 0.07 (Hanna ULR)

That's everything I care to test for, except for the very occasional No3 test. I just don't sweat No3 as much as Po4, though I would like to do some more research on all of this Redfield ratio stuff I've been hearing about.

I'm officially switching over to Triton tonight. I have 3 BRS 1.1ml dosers plugged into my Apex Jr. I am using the core7 supplements, with parts 3a and 3b mixed together. I calculated the recommended daily starting dose with my tank to be around 2ml, but I diluted with RODI so it will actually be 4ml (and 8ml of the 3a/3b mix).

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought two AI Prime HD fixtures off of BRS with my tax return. The plan is to eventually also get the 36" aquatic life t5 fixture, and try my hand at growing some sticks.
;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop
That is a pretty upgrade coming through.

Tonights test results:
Sal. 1.023
Alk 9 dKH (Hanna)
Cal 421 (Hanna)
Mag 1275 (Nyos)
Po4 0.07 (Hanna ULR)

That's everything I care to test for, except for the very occasional No3 test. I just don't sweat No3 as much as Po4, though I would like to do some more research on all of this Redfield ratio stuff I've been hearing about.

I'm officially switching over to Triton tonight. I have 3 BRS 1.1ml dosers plugged into my Apex Jr. I am using the core7 supplements, with parts 3a and 3b mixed together. I calculated the recommended daily starting dose with my tank to be around 2ml, but I diluted with RODI so it will actually be 4ml (and 8ml of the 3a/3b mix).

Completely agree! No need to chase numbers.
INteresting to see how your Triton adventure will go.
I wish you all the best

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop
That is a pretty upgrade coming through.

Completely agree! No need to chase numbers.
INteresting to see how your Triton adventure will go.
I wish you all the best

Thanks buddy!

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went a little nuts at the WWC sale. I picked up 6 lps frags:

Purple Chalice
Reptar Micromussa
Megatron Micromussa
Spitfire Favites
Mayan Moon Favia
Discoball Leptoseris

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually picked up 9 frags all said and done, including a Jingle Bells Cyphastrea, Space Monkey and a grafted Leptoseris.

Here are a few highlights:

Jingle Bells Cyphastrea

Reptar Micromussa

Spacemonkey Favia

Definitely spent more money than I intended to (well played WWC), but fortunately a buddy is going to buy some of them for his tank.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the Triton supplements for a couple days now and nothing has exploded, so thats good. Things are actually looking pretty good aside from the cyano. I've started feeding Rod's food mixed with the mysis and am now broadcasting it over the smaller-polyped corals in the tank, and it's definitely making a difference!

Leptastrea, chalice, goniopora

Acans

Scolymia, trumpets, m. setosa, duncans, blastomussa, toadstool

Fungia, pectinia (?)

Cynarina

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Primes installed, it's quite an upgrade! I feel like my tank is finally headed in the right direction. I think I will eventually add the aqautic life t5 fixture, but for LPS I think this setup will be perfect.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has really come together nicely. Great job on your patience and skill.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend got a new tablet a year ago, and this one had just been sitting in a drawer so I decided that, at the risk of seeming aristocratic, I would make it a dedicated Apex display. This is the kind of stuff I dreamed about as a child that actually exists now. Viva la future!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend got a new tablet a year ago, and this one had just been sitting in a drawer so I decided that, at the risk of seeming aristocratic, I would make it a dedicated Apex display. This is the kind of stuff I dreamed about as a child that actually exists now. Viva la future!

Aristocratic for sure but looks awesome. I honestly love that look when people do this.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized my PM1 has an outlet for a breakout box. I was thinking I might use it to install a float switch to alert me if the water level gets to low in the sump. It won't be able to control the return pump or ATO automatically (they are not plugged in to apex), but it could be a nice safety feature to let me know the ATO is empty or something else has gone wrong.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquatic Life fixture is on sale at BRS... I have some points saved up.... Must resiiiiiiiiist

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back