tail spot blenny

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woke up to find that this guy was no where to be found like he is normally in the morning. found him laying on the substrate. not sure what killed him. all fish in the tank are doing good, and all params are fine as well. from what i can see, the only thing that i can determine is that maybe he is bloated, but i dont have the slightest idea as to what cause of death might be. any thoughts?

20210610_100331.jpg
20210610_100323.jpg
20210610_100209.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, to add to this, because even though the params are said to be good, i know you all will ask anyway, so salinity is about 1.022, ammonia 0, nitrate 10-15. this is a fish only tank. tank has been up for at least 6 months, and the fish has been in the tank for a month or more. there were no signs at all, all of yesterday (i stay up till 2am), so i know he was good up until at least that time.
the odd thing is, this is the second tail spot ive had. the first one just disappeared. i figured he became a space cadet, and decided to head for the moon, since i couldnt find him anywhere. i removed the rocks i have and didnt find him in any crevase, or on the sandbead, or in the filter. nor did i find him on the floor. same thing kinda happened. at night, he was good, next day, gone. only thing different here is that i found this one.
after doing some searching online, it seems that this might be a common thing. common for me for sure, or at least ive found a few instances of kind of the same thing. all is good the day before with no bloating or illness seen, next day, bloated and dead.; i would assume that the bloating is what killed him, but other than that, not sure why he got so bloated suddenly

Last edited:

ReefKeeper2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the salinity is too low and the nitrates a little high. Salinity should be around 1.025. Nitrates should be less than 10 ppm. I have had the exact same problem. They can be a litte intolerant to high nitrates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back