OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that must have been it! It is the elite. But I took it out about a month ago. Last phos test was last week

Lol that makes perfect sense now.

Elite has phosphate binders in it, the standard stuff is jut carbon and DI resin.

It will be interesting to see if your levels hold after not using it for a while. I would expect a shift by now, especially with you feeding heavy.

Why did you remove the chemipure elite? Did your corals bleach or something?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea....I had a bunch bleach from an order during a live sale. :(
Thankfully only lost 2 frags. The rest are in recovery now.

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea....I had a bunch bleach from an order during a live sale. :(
Thankfully only lost 2 frags. The rest are in recovery now.

Let us know what your test results are.

I'd suspect your phos will stay at about 0.02-0.04 and you nitrates will come down a bit.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I will eventually take out or stop using the skimmer.

This is the crap I have on my zoas. As said I'm pretty sure it's diatoms so I think I have to use the phosphate remover although I would rather not

image.jpg

You can do a Peroxide Dip to Take Care of That.

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm not sure what's happening but something has and it's becoming easier to blow this stuff off.

All my levels went up following removal of chaeto and putting the siporax into a mesh bag for better flow and also installing the phosphate removal reactor after doing the chemiclean treatment.

I've also recently added a OF hydra filter as I guess this would break down any SiO2. I'm also peroxide dosing in the tank, although this only started today to help with the diatoms or dinos whatever they are. Dosing via a Sochting Oxydator.

I've also added a 2nd DI pod onto my RO unit, this has only just happened so didn't effect what was there but should hopefully limit any SiO2 that's in my water supply, TDS is now zero and if it goes to 1 i will change the DI in the pods.

I've got fresh Chaeto back in the sump now, hopefully the main issue was with all the build up on the siporax. I'm hoping now that more NO3 will be available to the chaeto to remove the rest of the phosphate.

As said my levels went up quite significantly following all the changes, phos was 0.35 and nitrate was sky high, dark Crimson red on the Red Sea test kit, over 5ppm is all i could tell.

Sand bed still looks aweful, I think the peroxide will take care of that, been reading lots about people having great success beating Dinos and Diatoms with H2O2.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive also heard good things about peroxide but Ive never been brave enough to try it IN my system. I syphon out sand and treat in a bucket to get rid of cyano.
Im on day 2 of chemiclean now also-due for my water change tonight. So far, everyone is still happy in the tank :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back