Tailspot Blenny in QT

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I got a tailspot blenny 6 days ago. He's in QT with a few peices of PVC, a small container of sand from the display with two small peices of live rock from the sump, and a couple of fake anemones i had from QTing my clownfish.
On day one I noticed him flashing on the rock. He does this very often. So on day 3 I dosed prazipro. Today I noticed long stringy poop, though after reading another thread I see color of said poo is a factor and I don't recall. Maybe off white but maybe brown.
Anyway, he's is still flashing often and I'm almost positive he bit his own tail just now! I didn't do a freshwater dip because I didn't wanna stress him out, but he's eating great and swimming about picking at the algae all the time plus eating frozen mysis shrimp and spirulina flakes that I just got today. Before that he ate a combo of Omega One flakes and pellets... pretty much everything offered except Nori.
So is there anything else I should do at this point? Could it be anything other than Flukes where I am using the wrong meds??

Please Advise
Thank you!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I got a tailspot blenny 6 days ago. He's in QT with a few peices of PVC, a small container of sand from the display with two small peices of live rock from the sump, and a couple of fake anemones i had from QTing my clownfish.
On day one I noticed him flashing on the rock. He does this very often. So on day 3 I dosed prazipro. Today I noticed long stringy poop, though after reading another thread I see color of said poo is a factor and I don't recall. Maybe off white but maybe brown.
Anyway, he's is still flashing often and I'm almost positive he bit his own tail just now! I didn't do a freshwater dip because I didn't wanna stress him out, but he's eating great and swimming about picking at the algae all the time plus eating frozen mysis shrimp and spirulina flakes that I just got today. Before that he ate a combo of Omega One flakes and pellets... pretty much everything offered except Nori.
So is there anything else I should do at this point? Could it be anything other than Flukes where I am using the wrong meds??

Please Advise
Thank you!

To add to @Maritimer if you are seeing white stringy poo, then you will want to treat for internal parasites. Metroplex and focus mixed together in food, feed for ten days should clear it up. If poo is brown, you may not need to treat, could just be irritated digestive system. Also if you are dealing with some sort of external parasites, treatment may be necessary so keep an eye out for symptoms! Good luck, and don't hesitate to post if you see changes, if it were to be velvet time will be of the essence!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the freshwater dip... The bucket looks empty to me. A couple of air bubbles left on the bottom and a few dust like particles floating at the top
1520820728415.jpg

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the freshwater dip... The bucket looks empty to me. A couple of air bubbles left on the bottom and a few dust like particles floating at the top
1520820728415.jpg
I happen to have a freshwater tank so I was able to use that water. The picture isn't great but I don't see anything like the photos I saw of flukes after a dip

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to have a freshwater tank so I was able to use that water. The picture isn't great but I don't see anything like the photos I saw of flukes after a dip

More than likely, with you already having dosed prazi, the actual flukes would be gone. But the fish may still have irritation from where they were attached prior. Do you see any spots on the fish anywhere?

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely, with you already having dosed prazi, the actual flukes would be gone. But the fish may still have irritation from where they were attached prior. Do you see any spots on the fish anywhere?
No I don't. He looks clean. Right now he's got those white patches that they get when stressed and he's hiding. But normally he looks fine. Just the scratching his gills and then the stringy poop today. And the tail biting I witnessed once tonight...
1520821445460.jpg

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to @Maritimer if you are seeing white stringy poo, then you will want to treat for internal parasites. Metroplex and focus mixed together in food, feed for ten days should clear it up. If poo is brown, you may not need to treat, could just be irritated digestive system. Also if you are dealing with some sort of external parasites, treatment may be necessary so keep an eye out for symptoms! Good luck, and don't hesitate to post if you see changes, if it were to be velvet time will be of the essence!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/
Thank you. Do you know if I can treat the food with Metroplex and Prazipro at the same time? Today would be 5 days after the first dose and I don't know if I should do a second dose

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should continue with the second dose? Or wait and watch for other symptoms and try and confirm the color of the poop?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would do the 2nd PraziPro dose... the treatment requires 2 doses... especially since you are still seeing odd behavior. Flukes may not be visible on the outside, but possibly in his gills.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is any problem treating metroplex/focus mixed with his food at the same time as prazipro is in the water column... if you are still seeing white stringy poo.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should continue with the second dose? Or wait and watch for other symptoms and try and confirm the color of the poop?

I would go ahead and dose the second round of prazi. Keep an eye on the poop. If it is white you will want to treat for internal parasites. If the poop is brown it could just be an irritated digestive system and treatment may not be needed. I would try to have the metro/focus on hand just in case. I personally have never fed metro/focus while fish were in prazi treatment (I do feed it while they are in copper with no major blooms or side effects). My typical Preventative QT regiment is Give fish a few days to be acclimated upon arrival, get everyone eating, then begin copper (Slowly ramping up over 5 or so days to a therapeutic level). Mind you if I see signs of velvet I don't take my time with acclimation and get copper therapeutic within 24-48hrs. Then I feed the metro/focus during the 30 day copper treatment. Once copper is removed I go two rounds of prazi, then observe for a couple weeks before moving to display. Now that would be my normal, if I see something out of the ordinary I would possibly change up my treatment order to combat whatever it is I'm dealing with. I also have @4FordFamily five minutes from my house and he has 2 QT tanks so we constantly move fish around for different treatments in order to keep fish alive. Sorry for being long winded, hopefully this is all helpful to you. Not everyone has access to all of the medications we have readily available and three QT tanks, I understand that! (When you try to keep the higher end hard to keep fish in the hobby it is almost a have to!)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and dose the second round of prazi. Keep an eye on the poop. If it is white you will want to treat for internal parasites. If the poop is brown it could just be an irritated digestive system and treatment may not be needed. I would try to have the metro/focus on hand just in case. I personally have never fed metro/focus while fish were in prazi treatment (I do feed it while they are in copper with no major blooms or side effects). My typical Preventative QT regiment is Give fish a few days to be acclimated upon arrival, get everyone eating, then begin copper (Slowly ramping up over 5 or so days to a therapeutic level). Mind you if I see signs of velvet I don't take my time with acclimation and get copper therapeutic within 24-48hrs. Then I feed the metro/focus during the 30 day copper treatment. Once copper is removed I go two rounds of prazi, then observe for a couple weeks before moving to display. Now that would be my normal, if I see something out of the ordinary I would possibly change up my treatment order to combat whatever it is I'm dealing with. I also have @4FordFamily five minutes from my house and he has 2 QT tanks so we constantly move fish around for different treatments in order to keep fish alive. Sorry for being long winded, hopefully this is all helpful to you. Not everyone has access to all of the medications we have readily available and three QT tanks, I understand that! (When you try to keep the higher end hard to keep fish in the hobby it is almost a have to!)
As usual, I agree!

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's great information I appreciate all of it. I am new to the Hobby but usually when I get into things I go all the way in! LOL thank you. I will try to get the other medications

Sent from my SM-G930V using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is any problem treating metroplex/focus mixed with his food at the same time as prazipro is in the water column... if you are still seeing white stringy poo.
So I just got home and there's more stringy poo. But I would say it's brown. Not white.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper treatment is best for the blenny? I can't seem to find a particular thread about it and I didn't see them listed on the fish list w/types of treatments...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back