Tailspot Blenny in QT

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not tryna seem needy or ya know dramatically desperate but.... does anyone see this thread anymore? Or should I start a new one with any new questions on this same subject of my Blenny in QT? I feel like when I first created the thread I got replies like crazy almost right away and now not so much. This is really the first Forum I've ever posted in and I always use my smartphone to view it so when I post a new reply does the thread move back up to the top?

Anytime you post it gets bumped back to the top.

How much metroplex are you mixing in? How much food?

Generally internal parasites are corrected with 10-14 days of mixing metro.

Copper is for external parasites such as ich and velvet, so it will not correct the internal parasite issue.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snyder,
I wish I had more to offer than what has already been said. I am following your progress to learn something myself. When there is a new reply in a thread, the thread shows up on the main R2R home screen. That is how bumped into your topic.
Ok cool. Thanks. At least I know it's being seen by the whole community. Yes I'm going to stop the Metroplex at the 30-day Mark as I've read on here it can take up to 30 days to work and if he still seems to be pooping long white stringy poop then I'll wait until the cupramine treatment is over and try another round of Prazi. I'll certainly keep updating as I go.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you post it gets bumped back to the top.

How much metroplex are you mixing in? How much food?

Generally internal parasites are corrected with 10-14 days of mixing metro.

Copper is for external parasites such as ich and velvet, so it will not correct the internal parasite issue.
I used a tablespoon of food with one scoop Metroplex and one scoop Focus.

The Cupramine is because he keeps flashing on the rocks and biting his tail, though much less frequently now. I wanted to do a prophylactic treatment anyway but there's definitely some symptoms here. And he already went through two prazipro treatments and a freshwater dip. No visible flukes. Is there another way to treat the internal parasites or worms that are causing the long white stringy poop???

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a tablespoon of food with one scoop Metroplex and one scoop Focus.

The Cupramine is because he keeps flashing on the rocks and biting his tail, though much less frequently now. I wanted to do a prophylactic treatment anyway but there's definitely some symptoms here. And he already went through two prazipro treatments and a freshwater dip. No visible flukes. Is there another way to treat the internal parasites or worms that are causing the long white stringy poop???

I am all for the prophylactic copper treatment! I just wanted to make sure you were aware it wouldn't fix the internal parasite issue.
Check out this thread as you may have an internal parasite that metro does not eradicate.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for the prophylactic copper treatment! I just wanted to make sure you were aware it wouldn't fix the internal parasite issue.
Check out this thread as you may have an internal parasite that metro does not eradicate.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/
Great read.
I read it before but missed some things. Maybe I'll try soaking food with prazipro instead of dosing the tank again. But I thought I read somewhere that mixing Prazi with food can be either dangerous or hard to get the right dosage. Gonna do more research..

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting so frustrated with this fish. Almost 4 weeks in cupramine and still flashing. Still pooping strings. Yawning...[emoji35]

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing the cupramine to make sure it's at the correct level? As long as it stays at the therapeutic level for 30 days you should be good. I try to test my copper level every other day (just in case). And I did notice with cupramine I had to use more than the suggested drops to get it to therapeutic levels.
Just out of curiosity what kind of food are you feeding?
I have an anthias in qt at the moment. Can't even observe him correctly as he hides every time I come in the room. :mad: Pretty sure he's eating, as I see him popping up behind the pvc after I put food in to grab it as it goes by, so I just started dosing cupramine since I can't observe for signs.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing the cupramine to make sure it's at the correct level? As long as it stays at the therapeutic level for 30 days you should be good. I try to test my copper level every other day (just in case). And I did notice with cupramine I had to use more than the suggested drops to get it to therapeutic levels.
Just out of curiosity what kind of food are you feeding?
I have an anthias in qt at the moment. Can't even observe him correctly as he hides every time I come in the room. :mad: Pretty sure he's eating, as I see him popping up behind the pvc after I put food in to grab it as it goes by, so I just started dosing cupramine since I can't observe for signs.
I have been testing every day. I too had to add more but it's been stable now and at .5 for almost 30 days.
I had been feeding spirulina flakes but when I started the Metroplex I had read pellets were ideal so I had this sample mix from blue zoo aquatic that used. Fed that for 30 days to no avail. Now he's back on Spirulina again. Makes the stringy poop greenish brown. It was suggested to me to try prazi again. He went through two rounds before I started the Metroplex in cupramine. The Metroplex kind of overlapped the cupramine. By about 2 weeks.
Today I was watching him for quite some time and I feel like I'm back at day one when he first got in the tank. It's just a little discouraging and I wish I could help him though he does seem happy and eats anything I've put in there

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a good sign he's eating. Finish the 30 days of copper. I'd stop with the metroplex and see if his poop goes back to normal. Maybe he is just flashing out of stress or habit.
The last fish that I had in qt was in about 60 days. o_O
FYI sometimes fish will flash after eating so maybe it's that. I have a wrasse that flashes after eating occasionally. I read somewhere that when they crush the food small particles will go through the gills causing them to itch.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a good sign he's eating. Finish the 30 days of copper. I'd stop with the metroplex and see if his poop goes back to normal. Maybe he is just flashing out of stress or habit.
The last fish that I had in qt was in about 60 days. o_O
FYI sometimes fish will flash after eating so maybe it's that. I have a wrasse that flashes after eating occasionally. I read somewhere that when they crush the food small particles will go through the gills causing them to itch.
Oooh that makes sense. I guess I am getting impatient. I am hopeful once more! Thanks bud!

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robink
I came home today and went to the tank. Right away the blenny flashed on both sides against the rock. I haven't fed him since last night. I forgot to this morning.

What else besides ICH would cause him to flash? Would a tapeworm or internal parasite do it? I see no signs of any infections or anything on the outside but I don't know what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robink
I came home today and went to the tank. Right away the blenny flashed on both sides against the rock. I haven't fed him since last night. I forgot to this morning.

What else besides ICH would cause him to flash? Would a tapeworm or internal parasite do it? I see no signs of any infections or anything on the outside but I don't know what I'm looking for.
I just read on wet web media (I think) that tailspot blennies flash on rocks all the time. This guy says he's observed them for long periods of time and that it's normal behavior.
Anyways I just picked up this flake food that is infused with Metroplex and prazi. Gonna give that a shot for a week now that Cupramine treatment is over.
My water turned extremely yellowish green, and I read somewhere that it's from too many organics in the water. My ammonia badge is still white. I did two 25% water changes in 4 days and 8 hours later it comes back. That was with cupramine still in so hopefully another water change coupled with carbon will clear it up. Is it bad for the fish???

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update... running carbon for a few days and no copper reading with chemets tests

Water is still really yellow/murky. Tried adding polyfilter and large water change but it comes back. From what I've read it's gonna keep coming back until I can empty, clean and sanitize.

Started feeding a flake food I bought online that is supposed to be medicated with both prazi and metro... Friday will be the suggested 10 day mark.

Poop goes back and forth from stringy brown to clumpy tan... I just watched a video where the guy was treating a FW fish and was vacuuming out the poop to get rid of eggs. I wonder if that's why I can't seem to get past this. I haven't been target vacuuming and it's that much harder to do anything now that I can't see what's in the water very well.

Well hopefully come Friday my blenny will be right as rain... All in all he seems happy to me

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update... running carbon for a few days and no copper reading with chemets tests

Water is still really yellow/murky. Tried adding polyfilter and large water change but it comes back. From what I've read it's gonna keep coming back until I can empty, clean and sanitize.

Started feeding a flake food I bought online that is supposed to be medicated with both prazi and metro... Friday will be the suggested 10 day mark.

Poop goes back and forth from stringy brown to clumpy tan... I just watched a video where the guy was treating a FW fish and was vacuuming out the poop to get rid of eggs. I wonder if that's why I can't seem to get past this. I haven't been target vacuuming and it's that much harder to do anything now that I can't see what's in the water very well.

Well hopefully come Friday my blenny will be right as rain... All in all he seems happy to me
Here's the QT
1525226104545.jpg

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd your blenny end up doing?
That's so weird that you ask this Because I was just looking online AGAIN for another treatment. I just noticed another string come out of him yesterday and I think I'm going to try general cure mixed with mysus and seachem focus. I've already tried metroplex in food and prazipro separately. He isn't dead and looks healthy to me but I don't know this is my first reef tank and fish displaying symptoms. I did get 2 bimac anthias and once in a while I see one of them with a long white poop but I've also read that mysis can cause that with them.

Back