Tailspot Blenny Missing Tail

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

So I added a tailspot blenny a couple of days ago and he has been doing great so far. Quarantined for 30 days and treated with antibiotic food/water treatments. Today I awoke to find him missing his tail? I can post pictures later tonight. My royal gramma has been a bit confrontational with everybody and besides that I have a clownfish, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp (both are also confrontational when provoked) and hermit crabs. I don't think it is fin rot since it seems to have disappeared over night. My question is could it have been the royal gramma and what action steps should be taken if any?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would help. Is all of the soft portion of the fin missing, down to the area where the skin is? I just wonder how a gramma, even being territorial, would get the entire tail bitten off. Do you have any way to move the blenny to a floating critter keeper or something?

Jay

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would help. Is all of the soft portion of the fin missing, down to the area where the skin is? I just wonder how a gramma, even being territorial, would get the entire tail bitten off. Do you have any way to move the blenny to a floating critter keeper or something?

Jay
I will be able to get a picture later today. And I do have the ability to put it in a floating critter keeper, would that not stress him out more?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be able to get a picture later today. And I do have the ability to put it in a floating critter keeper, would that not stress him out more?

If you put in some small rocks or other hiding places (like pvc fittings), it would be better than leaving it in the tank, because now without a tail fin, it will be even less able to get away from whoever is the aggressor.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back