Tailspot Blenny with Popeye?

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a tailspot blenny in by EVO 13.5 for about 9 months now and noticed over the last few days his left eye getting more and more swollen. I suspect it's popeye according to some old posts I found. None of them seem to conclude if there is anything that can really be done about it. I don't have any sort of quarantine tank unfortunately, tbh I don't think I could catch him if my life depended on it either way. I tripled checked my Nitrates as the internet says that is a big cause but they are sitting about 3ppm right now. He also routinely battles with a bristleworm over a hole he won't give up on so part of me wonders if got injured at some point. Anyone dealt with this before? It's sort of horrific and I feel bad for him but he is still eating as of last night at least. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

20221126_100944.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had a tailspot blenny in by EVO 13.5 for about 9 months now and noticed over the last few days his left eye getting more and more swollen. I suspect it's popeye according to some old posts I found. None of them seem to conclude if there is anything that can really be done about it. I don't have any sort of quarantine tank unfortunately, tbh I don't think I could catch him if my life depended on either way. I tripled checked my Nitrates as the internet says that is a big cause but they are sitting about 3ppm right now. He also routinely battles with a bristleworm over a hole he won't give up on so part of me wonders if got injured at some point. Anyone dealt with this before? It's sort of horrific and I feel bad for him but he is still eating as of last night at least. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

20221126_100944.jpg
As these fish tend to be busy bodies, there is a high likelihood it scratched or lightly injured its eye and will need to be treated in quarantine 5-7 days using maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin and will fix this

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back