Taking out dry rock mid cycle

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I am currently in the middle of a fishless cycle with aragonite sand and dry rock, I have my nitrites going up and also my nitrates. I have a sump with marine pure balls too.
My question is: if I take out my dry rock now and dry them in the sun for a little bit and add some shelves/glue some new rock to it and then put it back in, would it kill the nitrifying bacteria that has settled on the rock?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rocks are out of the water for an extended period of time then yes the bacteria will most definitely die. Why do you want to dry the rocks in the sun though? Just work on them as they are wet, one piece at a time to minimize bacterial death.

OP
OP
Andynz2000

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rocks are out of the water for an extended period of time then yes the bacteria will most definitely die. Why do you want to dry the rocks in the sun though? Just work on them as they are wet, one piece at a time to minimize bacterial death.
I’ve got jag glue, I didn’t realise you could work on them wet. Thanks for that!

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I am currently in the middle of a fishless cycle with aragonite sand and dry rock, I have my nitrites going up and also my nitrates. I have a sump with marine pure balls too.
My question is: if I take out my dry rock now and dry them in the sun for a little bit and add some shelves/glue some new rock to it and then put it back in, would it kill the nitrifying bacteria that has settled on the rock?

I'm new to all this, but I plan on doing the same thing soon and from my research I would say you are fine with taking them out for a while to aquascape. But I wouldn't dry them in the sun or anyway if you want to be sure the bacteria lives.

I'm going to keep mine damp with tank water and use acrylic rods and superglue gel for mine.

Since you don't have any livestock yet, it might be ok to dry them some and just set you back a bit while the bacteria repopulates the rock from the sand. Especially if the inside of the rock stays moist.

OP
OP
Andynz2000

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to all this, but I plan on doing the same thing soon and from my research I would say you are fine with taking them out for a while to aquascape. But I wouldn't dry them in the sun or anyway if you want to be sure the bacteria lives.

I'm going to keep mine damp with tank water and use acrylic rods and superglue gel for mine.

Since you don't have any livestock yet, it might be ok to dry them some and just set you back a bit while the bacteria repopulates the rock from the sand. Especially if the inside of the rock stays moist.
Yeah I was hoping that my sand bed and also the media in the sump would help repopulate

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was hoping that my sand bed and also the media in the sump would help repopulate

It will, but will take time. Have you been ghost feeding or using Dr tims amonia to feed the bacteria and then doing amonia tests?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dr tims ammonia to 1.5ppm

K, I would just take them out and do what you need to. Keep them damp if at all possible. Dry if you must, but try to avoid it. Then return them and go back to using Dr tims and testing.

You should be fine.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to dry the areas where the rocks will meet then do so using a towel or something. That small dried area won't affect the bacteria. Most of the bacteria are inside the rock anyway so you should be good as long as the rocks stay damp.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to dry the areas where the rocks will meet then do so using a towel or something. That small dried area won't affect the bacteria. Most of the bacteria are inside the rock anyway so you should be good as long as the rocks stay damp.

Agree, could even use a lighter or small butane torch to just dry small areas where you are wanting to attach at.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano glue actually uses water to cure so using wet rock is better. I wouldn't use any insta set after the latest BRS video. Keep a spray bottle with saltwater next to you and spray the rock every couple of minutes to keep it wet. That is what I plan on doing this weekend when I reset my tanks.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this many times. I keep a spray bottle of tank water and spray the rock down after 10 or so min.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back