Taking photos under actinic lighting

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to photography, especially of my aquarium. I have a canon powershot (point and shoot camera) I find that all my pictures under actinic lighting are way too blue, and fluorescence are gone. How to I fix this?

I did a search for actinic pictures and didn't find anything sorry if I am being redundant.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the users manual to see if the camera has a custom white balance option. If so, follow the directions and it should take the blue cast out of the pictures.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want the blue, BeakerBob is right. You'll have to set a custom white balance. But, if you don't want the blue, you'll get better results setting a custom white balance with all of the tank lights on. If you want that actinic look, you just shoot the picture with the camera's normal settings. It wouldn't surprise me if the camera's light meter gets fooled by the unusual light, so you might have to adjust the exposure. Just guessing because I'm not there, but try a stop over exposed.
Gary

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just used my nikon p&s cameras white balance setting and it did take all of the blue out, so much that the dominate color is red.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, to do a custom white balance you have to take a picture of a white object under the tank lighting. This usually involves putting a piece of white, waterproof material in your tank, holding it at the same angle as the face of the rock/coral you want to photograph, filling the frame with the white object and taking a picture. You'll have to read the manual to figure out how to set the white balance. Sorry, there's no way around actually opening up that manual.
Gary

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what post-processing editor do you use?

When I was using P&S's, it was the only way I could get somewhat of a decent pic if I had been shooting under actinics, and then it still wasn't great.

When using a DSLR, I was able to use the preset white balances and get closer, but still had to post process. Using the custom white balances (I use around a 9000k for the bulbs I run) I'm able to shoot with almost no white balancing done post-processing anymore.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will dig out the manual and fool around with it tomorrow when I have a little extra time.

I dont have a post processing software, or at least that I know of. Like photoshop? Maybe I could find a decent cheap one.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exact camera?

I have a canon powershot s90. White balance and manual focus get the best pictures with my camera.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures with my camera under actinic/blue leds

Updatedcoralpics20ap002.jpg

Updatedcoralpics1ap017.jpg

Updatedcoralpics24006.jpg

Updatedcoralpics2132005.jpg

and some daylight shots

Updatedcoralpics24043.jpg

Updatedcoralpics24009.jpg

Updatedcoralpics1009.jpg

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with EVERYTHING Gary has said.Open the manual and read it!

I use a plate to fill the frame with white.Its cheap,and simple,and it works for me.Im pretty accurate in color I would like to think.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look-Normal settings on the camera with AUTO WB:
Corals003.jpg

Coustom WB using a plate:
welso001.jpg

Its not the same angel but,it gives a good rep. as to what it can do for your color IMO.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would possibly argue with anything Gary has to say about photography? arguing with what he produces would take a special kind of special :tongue:

I agree,Gary is the MASTER,when I see him at MACNA(if hes gonna be there)Ill bow down to him,and call him master...

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exact camera?

I have a canon powershot s90. White balance and manual focus get the best pictures with my camera.

Nice pictures! It is good to see that I may actually be able to produce beautiful pictures like yours with my camera and a little practice.

I have a canon powershot SD1100 IS 8.0 megapixal

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. GeoHawk, this image shot with the Canon SD1100 IS, macro mode, custom white balance, manual, underexposed by a stop.
Gary

psbluefavia01.jpg

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may sound dumb, but what is "underexposed by a stop" mean? Did you black out the background with editing? Thanks

Back