Talk me in/out if Kalkwasser

Scooter90254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says I’m thinking about trying Kalk in my ATO. Tunze Osmolator.

This will be my first time using Kalk. My other option is a couple dosing pumps and two part which I’ve done before.

If I go with Kalk should I run a pump in my holding tank to mix it?

How long on average will Kalk keep a tank balanced? Mixed reef? Or will I end up dosing fairly quickly anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used limewater (kalkwasser) via ATO for 20 years as the only method on my system. In an SPS heavy system, it likely won't be enough. Mine was a mixed reef.

The con to limewater in an ATO is uneven dosing day to day based on evaporation, which may lead to alkalinity changes. limewater via dosing pump covering most, but not all of the daily evaporation, removes that variability.

Very long term, limewater allows calcium to rise relative to alk. If you use a lower calcium higher alk mix (like normal IO), this concern mostly goes away.

You do not want to mix limewater after the initial dissolution. It degrades it by driving in CO2.

This has more:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first couple of months i used alk to keep my alk/cal stable and it did a perfect job. no i continue to use it for the added benefit of raising my ph ( which is constantly low)

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. I had an alkalinity spike and it burned my SPS. I assume once you get it dialed in you are good to go, but I abandoned ship before that happened. Plus I found the precipitation in the ATO bucket annoying.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back